Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anti Depressants, how many of you

Anti Depressants, how many of you

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti Depressants, how many of you

Originally Posted by rabsody
Oooh, I would love that! I will buy you a proper beer in return
Ok....sounds like a deal

I will let you know when I am back.

G
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:35 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsB
funnily enough I studied psychology at uni-but dropped out after 2 years when depression 1st got me

My bachelor's degree is in psychology too. Switched to sociology (social psychology) for a masters. (Worked on, but didn't get, a PhD in American studies.)
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

funnily enough I studied psychology at uni-but dropped out after 2 years when depression 1st got me
Haha, you sure we're not long lost non-identical twins or summat?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX

My bachelor's degree is in psychology too. Switched to sociology (social psychology) for a masters. (Worked on, but didn't get, a PhD in American studies.)
Yep love social psychology and developmental psych (well, the little bits I've done so far). I did enjoy sociology this semester too - been taking lots of electives to try and work out my 'calling'. Felt soc was a bit limiting in terms of career options tho (unless you want to continue on into academia or work in govt.). May I ask what you went on to, Sarah, with your masters in Soc?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:14 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Very karmic.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:15 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

May I ask what you went on to, Sarah, with your masters in Soc?

The most valuable year of my post high-school education was getting a diploma for secretary linguists at the college of commerce . . . . (i.e., office skills).

I've never had a job that really had anything to do with psych or soc. I started out doing secretarial, did part-time secretarial while I was in grad school, did secretarial when I left grad school. Became a technical editor in 1989 and realized it was my calling and have been doing it ever since. Along the way I also picked up desk top publishing and web page skills (and some others).

When (assuming that it does eventually happen ) I go back to the UK, I might try freelancing full time (though I think I may need a "real" job at first to get established).

BTW, I did try to get a job in psych when I came to the US in 1978, a year after I got my BA, but they typically wanted a masters degree and they couldn't figure out what my UK degree really was equivalent to anyway. I think that's why I went to graduate school . . . but by the time I quit that, my life was going in a different direction and I never professionally used my degrees (other than just in the broadest sense of knowledge that I acquired).
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

The most valuable year of my post high-school education was getting a diploma for secretary linguists at the college of commerce . . . . (i.e., office skills).
).
Oh don't tell me that! My background is all EA/PA stuff, with a marketing slant. I'm doing the degree because I wanted to get out of that kind of work but I just don't know what I want to do with myself at the end of it LOL!

That's wonderful you have found your niche in editing Maybe I am looking too hard.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:32 am
Feels great to be home!

Oh don't tell me that! My background is all EA/PA stuff, with a marketing slant. I'm doing the degree because I wanted to get out of that kind of work but I just don't know what I want to do with myself at the end of it LOL!

That's wonderful you have found your niche in editing Maybe I am looking too hard.
I didn't know I wanted to get into editing until a few years after I quit graduate school -- so I was in my mid 30s. I loved the subjects, but really didn't want a career in anything (that I could identify) that would use them. Didn't want to be a college professor, that was for sure. That's why I quit. I realized that I was spending a lot of money and suffering a lot of anxiety in order to get a couple of letters after my name, but gaining nothing as far as what I was going to do when I grew up.

The secretarial skills paid the bills when needed . . . I was lucky enough to get that first copy editing job, and figure out what I wanted to do.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

I didn't know I wanted to get into editing until a few years after I quit graduate school -- so I was in my mid 30s. I loved the subjects, but really didn't want a career in anything (that I could identify) that would use them. Didn't want to be a college professor, that was for sure. That's why I quit. I realized that I was spending a lot of money and suffering a lot of anxiety in order to get a couple of letters after my name, but gaining nothing as far as what I was going to do when I grew up.

The secretarial skills paid the bills when needed . . . I was lucky enough to get that first copy editing job, and figure out what I wanted to do.
I think this is half the problem, we're told that have to have a degree to do anything in the first place! I have looked at editing but have been told I will need a journalism degree (which is what I am currently studying but not really enjoying reporting and so on).

The secretarial skills are indeed marvellous to fall back on. I will be encouraging my girls to learn to touch type as you can always get temp work if the market dries up in other areas. I am currently setting myself up as Freelance PA to work around uni to help with the bills too! I'm envious you found your calling - do you work for a publication or publishing house?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:17 am
Feels great to be home!

I think this is half the problem, we're told that have to have a degree to do anything in the first place! I have looked at editing but have been told I will need a journalism degree (which is what I am currently studying but not really enjoying reporting and so on).

The secretarial skills are indeed marvellous to fall back on. I will be encouraging my girls to learn to touch type as you can always get temp work if the market dries up in other areas. I am currently setting myself up as Freelance PA to work around uni to help with the bills too! I'm envious you found your calling - do you work for a publication or publishing house?
I don't think you NEED a journalism degree to get into editing. I guess it might help in some instances, but not all. I've always had to take a test when applying for positions.

I work full-time at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, but I also do freelance copying editing for some publishers (my work ranges from cookbooks to maths books!).
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:45 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, you sure we're not long lost non-identical twins or summat?
Have you knock knees, a squint & hair that goes frizzy in the rain?-if so then yes you've found me!

BTW-by your background being EA/PA did you mean Estate Agency? That's another similarity if so.. I was a property manager (read complaints hotline/dogsbody)
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:59 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you knock knees, a squint & hair that goes frizzy in the rain?-if so then yes you've found me!

BTW-by your background being EA/PA did you mean Estate Agency? That's another similarity if so.. I was a property manager (read complaints hotline/dogsbody)

No, she means Exec Assistant.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Haha, I'll see you a squint and raise you one dimple!

No, sorry I meant Executive Assistant/Personal Assistant. I was the EA to the British Consul-General here in Brisbane, been a marketing coordinator for a fine wine distributor, worked as client service manager/PA for a management consultant, PA to venture capitalist, was promotions/marketing bod at Mirror Group Newspapers for a couple of years ... plus many more! I've done it to death, I just don't know what to do now, hence the degree!

Have you tried that sort of job here - Property Manager? I always seem to see loads of those roles advertised up here in Brissy (you may want to avoid it like the plague however!).
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:13 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, I'll see you a squint and raise you one dimple!

No, sorry I meant Executive Assistant/Personal Assistant. I was the EA to the British Consul-General here in Brisbane, been a marketing coordinator for a fine wine distributor, worked as client service manager/PA for a management consultant, PA to venture capitalist, was promotions/marketing bod at Mirror Group Newspapers for a couple of years ... plus many more! I've done it to death, I just don't know what to do now, hence the degree!

Have you tried that sort of job here - Property Manager? I always seem to see loads of those roles advertised up here in Brissy (you may want to avoid it like the plague however!).

Lucky escape for you then! Your career history sounds v glam to me as someone who spent half their life arranging cockroach sprays. Yes avoiding prop man like the plague-there are lots of vacancies here too-hmm I wonder why? Cos it's a crummy job!! Mean landlords, moaning tenants & bodgit & scarper tradesmen
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

kizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud of

Hi
Just found this thread. I've been on happy pills for the last 6/7 years - fluoxetine (prozac). I originally went on them after years of denial for delayed PND which got worse in winter and better in summer - so we thought it was SAD. I could even forget to take them in summer and still be ok, however winter I went up to 2 a day and I needed to sleep in the afternoons or I felt physically sick with tiredness. We thought that I would get better by living in Aus, but now I find I'm on them for depression! So I can either go home and stay on them for the rest of my days because of the weather and be happy, or stay here on them for the rest of my days and be miserable. No brainer really, booked the tickets, we're outta here August 6th.

I have a history of depression running through the female members of my family. Sister has it (denial), Mum had it coupled with alcohol problems, grandma had it, and was treated with electroshock 'therapy'.

Not a nice disease, but as I've found, treatable if only you will admit you have it.
Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.