Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

another uni residency question

Wikiposts

another uni residency question

Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

us4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really nice
Default another uni residency question

Hello,
We are looking at returning to the UK for uni for our two teens.
We are aware of the 3 year residency rule, but unsure as to whether the
residency is required of just the child (ie boarding school) or the entire family. In the worst case, if OH can not get a job back in UK when the time comes, could I return with the prospective student 3 years before she is due to go to uni? Or does my husband, as principal taxpayer, have to reside in the UK also? This would not be an ideal situation obviously to split the family but if OH cannot get a job for a while, we may look at doing this.
My daughter hopes to study medicine so obviously better for her to do this in the UK (cheaper at least) And we always said we would like to come home when eldest started uni.

Thanks.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another uni residency question

Read through the information and links here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Uni...Residence_Rule
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

us4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really nice

Thanks for link, I had read this already but it is not specific enough as to
WHO needs to be resident, ie student or parent or both.

I was hoping to get some input from someone who has practical knowledge of the rules. Failing that I will contact one or two of the unis and ask them.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it is the student who must be resident.

I know a British person now in her 30s who went to school in the US and went back to live with relatives at 15 in order to get home rates (I think it may still have been free at that point).

It is a good idea to speak directly with the university though, as from what I've read on here, people have had different experiences with different institutions, although you are thinking ahead and they will probably only give a decision based on an actual case.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by us4now

I was hoping to get some input from someone who has practical knowledge of the rules. Failing that I will contact one or two of the unis and ask them.
If you read the article again and click on the links for more information, you should get what you need.

Ask a university - fine, but unless they are willing to put the advice in writing, it's meaningless.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by us4now

To be honest, I'm not sure if contacting a university to ask this "what if?" question will yield useful information, for a couple of reasons: a) as with a lot of returning to the UK questions, people in offices don't care to answer these hypothetical questions 3 years ahead of time, for people who do not currently live in the UK, and b) we have no idea what could change in the intervening 3 or more years.

Having said that, from the experience I had with my postgrad student's application for home fees status, if a potential university student lived in the UK for 3 years with one, either, or both parents, most universities would consider that the applicant has satisfied the home fees requirements.

Not sure if you read my thread, but I pasted several sections from the home fees assessment form that applies to your question. I think if a child returned by him/herself, attends school, and then applies to uni, they may fall foul of the clauses I pasted in my thread (though people have posted some individual cases where this worked), but if a parent is living in the country also, I think this clearly meets the requirements of the home fees status requirements.

Although Sally is correct in that the applicant's residency is the focus, the parent's residency does play a role in the decision, because it reflects on the reason why the "child" is in the country, which is indirectly considered in the home fees status decision.

Here's the link to my previous thread, if you hadn't seen it:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672934

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 1st 2011 at 10:55 pm.