Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Pregnant and returning to the UK

Pregnant and returning to the UK

Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice
Default Pregnant and returning to the UK

Hi, I'm returning to the UK after 6 years in lovely Australia. However, we want to be with family with out 2 young children. Anyhoo, I know that once I register with a GP I am good to go with getting antenatal care etc but I also remember that in the UK you get free dental care being pregnant and wondered how I go about getting access to that? Any ideas? Do I just phone one up? I'm so used to paying for everything here that it will be a novelty gettting something for free!!!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pregnant and returning to the UK

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Hi, I'm returning to the UK after 6 years in lovely Australia. However, we want to be with family with out 2 young children. Anyhoo, I know that once I register with a GP I am good to go with getting antenatal care etc but I also remember that in the UK you get free dental care being pregnant and wondered how I go about getting access to that? Any ideas? Do I just phone one up? I'm so used to paying for everything here that it will be a novelty gettting something for free!!!
Hope this helps

Prescriptions and NHS dental treatment are free while you are pregnant and for 12 months after you have given birth. Children also get free prescriptions until they are 16. To claim free prescriptions, ask your doctor or midwife for form FW8 and send it to your health authority. You will be sent an Exemption Certificate that lasts for a year after your due date.

Have a read at this

http://www.nhs.uk/Planners/pregnancy...efitshome.aspx

Good luck
Kim

Last edited by kimandken; Jan 1st 2011 at 10:21 pm. Reason: adding more information
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm returning to the UK.... it will be a novelty gettting something for free!!!
How very nice for you! Have it all on me and every other hard working UK taxpayer! Nothing really comes for "free", not even here in the UK. Every month when I receive my salary slip I heave a sigh when I look at the figures representing all the money I am being stopped from my pay in the form of National Insurance and Income Tax. The last (Labour) Government squandered much if it in outrageous acts of profligacy.

Nevertheless I sincerely wish you well as it's never nice to appear "small".
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
How very nice for you! Have it all on me and every other hard working UK taxpayer! Nothing really comes for "free", not even here in the UK. Every month when I receive my salary slip I heave a sigh when I look at the figures representing all the money I am being stopped from my pay in the form of National Insurance and Income Tax. The last (Labour) Government squandered much if it in outrageous acts of profligacy.

Wait a minute here, she said 6 years she has been in oz, so to me she has paid her national insurance before she came to oz.

Anyhow she might have been continuing to still pay her national insurance.

Jumping the gun a bit here i think!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 12:24 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimandken
Wait a minute here, she said 6 years she has been in oz, so to me she has paid her national insurance before she came to oz.

The NHS is paid from tax not NI.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
The NHS is paid from tax not NI.
Yes i do apologise. The poster has probably like me paid tax all her working life, never seem to get a cent back tho.

Get all what your entitled to while you can, i say.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

God how rude are you!! I've been working full time in the UK for 20 years and not once, not once have I ever claimed any benefits, or fully utilised the health system and I used to work in it!!! I will also have you know that I still pay my National Insurance contributions whilst I am here!!!! So I've paid my dues fully for the UK whilst working and paying my dues in Australia. You should learn to keep negative thoughts to yourself until you've heard the whole story!!!!!!

I am a British citizen, born there and lived there until I was 34 and if anyone has paid their dues then they are entitled to whatever is available. Oh and for your information, whilst I was in the UK I worked on average 50-60 hours a week as a nurse so fairly hardworking my anyones standards.

I'm amazed that there are still small minded people on this website!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to the other guys for sticking up for me! I felt peeved at that other persons remarked. I didn't realise NHS was paid for by Tax. Well I've worked since I was 16 until I was 34 in the UK. Never having time off other than for your normal 4 weeks in the years, so no benefit claims etc...and I've been continuing my NI contributions so I think my conscious is all good.

Anyhoo, I'll look on that website from the NHS regarding pregnancy, thanks for that. Its good to know my british citizen babies will get any help that they need considering they'll probably be wiping those grumpy peoples' backsides in 20 years to come
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to the other guys for sticking up for me! I felt peeved at that other persons remarked. I didn't realise NHS was paid for by Tax. Well I've worked since I was 16 until I was 34 in the UK. Never having time off other than for your normal 4 weeks in the years, so no benefit claims etc...and I've been continuing my NI contributions so I think my conscious is all good.

Anyhoo, I'll look on that website from the NHS regarding pregnancy, thanks for that. Its good to know my british citizen babies will get any help that they need considering they'll probably be wiping those grumpy peoples' backsides in 20 years to come
I totally agree with you and very well said.

All the best back in the UK & with the birth

Kim
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

God how rude are you!! I've been working full time in the UK for 20 years and not once, not once have I ever claimed any benefits, or fully utilised the health system and I used to work in it!!! I will also have you know that I still pay my National Insurance contributions whilst I am here!!!! So I've paid my dues fully for the UK whilst working and paying my dues in Australia. You should learn to keep negative thoughts to yourself until you've heard the whole story!!!!!!

I am a British citizen, born there and lived there until I was 34 and if anyone has paid their dues then they are entitled to whatever is available. Oh and for your information, whilst I was in the UK I worked on average 50-60 hours a week as a nurse so fairly hardworking my anyones standards.

Excellent reply

Kim
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good on you! You beat me to it, a truly rude and narrow minded response to your original question!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck. We had our second here and the strain is showing on the service. I guess it depends on the day you're in but over the whole experience we had the care we needed when it counted.
Usual moan about lack of staff etc but what can you do.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

On the benefit front I guess be prepared for moving goalposts.
There have been many headline changes. I am currently waiting to hear if I can get any help. (Tax credit etc) I've done my time paying some decent tax returns and not claimed anything until now. Just after the helping hand that the system is mean to provide.
Also hoping that my plans going forward come to fruition and I become ineligible again!

I have no qualms about making the claim. I don't think anyone should. If you're in need of the help and it's there........
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:20 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
On the benefit front I guess be prepared for moving goalposts.
There have been many headline changes. I am currently waiting to hear if I can get any help. (Tax credit etc) I've done my time paying some decent tax returns and not claimed anything until now. Just after the helping hand that the system is mean to provide.
Also hoping that my plans going forward come to fruition and I become ineligible again!

I have no qualms about making the claim. I don't think anyone should. If you're in need of the help and it's there........
And when you have paid your dues why the hell shouldn't you get something back? It's not like we are coming back like people who have never paid a penny into the system is it?

We have all of us to some extent worked in the UK, paid taxes and our dues. It's not like we are some EU migrants who have contributed nothing, we were born and raised there, worked there, maybe married and had children there and it is our HOME!!!!!!!

Rant over.........

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 2nd 2011 at 10:22 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:16 am
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimandken

absolutely!

AND incase you don't know lothianlad, australia has a recipricol agreement with healthcare for british citizens, so brits are looked after in aus at the oz tax payers expense! so what!!!! and that would include you, if you lived in oz!
she absolutely has a right to medical care!
AND i think she should also check out the maternity benefits too, while she is at it, as she may just qualify for maternity allowance, if she has 26 out of the 66 weeks test period of national insurance contributions!
so there lothian lad...
anyone else think of what she may qualify for, just to tick him off???
if i think of any other "freebies" you can get, i'll BE SURE to let you know...

i think that was a very rude comment to make actually lothianlad!!!
very rude!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.