Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Another 'Sunday Times' article...

Another 'Sunday Times' article...

Old Apr 5th 2003, 6:17 am
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another 'Sunday Times' article...

saw an interview in the 'Sunday Times' with the guy who compiled the 'Lonely Planet Britain'...thought people might be interested in some of the things he had to say....this is part of the interview

'Britain: it's paradise island'

'...looking at Britain through the eyes of a tourist you see the country in a different light. a lot has changed in the past decade or so: Cardiff is now trendy, Aberdeen is pulsating and nottingham is one of the clubbing capitals of Europe.
In the twenty years I have been writing guidebooks for countries around the world one of the biggest changes I have seen is to British cities. There's a real buzz and style about them because of the recent wave of regeneration: there's exciting modern architecture and a new appreciation for historical buildings that have been lovingly cleaned or restored....
Traditional tourist cities such as Oxford and bath used to be the only one's people talked about, but now its Birmingham and Bradford....Restaurants have greatly improved over the past decade, and not just in cities. We now have some world class restaurants in some surprsing places...now anyone can get a good meal in Britain.
Other parts of British cultural life have changed for the better..
It sounds sentimental, but if you talk to any foreign tourist they will tell you that the thing they love the most about Britain is the people. This may come as a surprise to many, as we Brits like to think of ourselves as reserved, reticent, semi-detached even. But I think tourists can see it is just a veneer, and in many parts of the country it is not true at all. If you go to a pub, a seaside resort or up a mountain, you come across other equally defining British characteristics- passion, tolerance, agressiveness, hospitality, sentimentality and friendliness. Thats the view of my foreign colleagues, and I felt proud to hear them day it...
Our countryside may not rival Ayers Rock or the Grand Canyon for dramatic views, but what we do have is an abundance is a quiet beauty..
...my own favourite city is London. what better on a sunny day than to walk along the Thames at Kew or Greenwich? At the other extreme I love the north-west tip of scotland, where my wife and I recently spent our wedding aniversary. We could have gone anywhere in the world, but I chose Ullapool. Its becasue I've seen Hawaii, Thailand Africa and Alaska that I feel I can say that Britian is the worlds most beautiful island..... '

Don't know about anyone else, but it makes me feel pretty good that thats my home! (even if I am currently overseas)

Old Apr 6th 2003, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Oh you've got me dreaming now about Greenwich and Camden on Sundays! I used to love wandering around both taking in all the people there, the markets and shops - sigh!

So what do you think of Cambridge then??? I'm thinking of possible moving back to the Cambridge area - I think that it has so much history, it's laid back but has all my favourite shops that I'm used to in London and it even has a Gymboree!

In your opinion what is the ideal town in England to move to that has good employment oppourtunities, great shopping and restautants and reasonable house prices???
Old Apr 6th 2003, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bromleygirl
Oh you've got me dreaming now about Greenwich and Camden on Sundays! I used to love wandering around both taking in all the people there, the markets and shops - sigh!

So what do you think of Cambridge then??? I'm thinking of possible moving back to the Cambridge area - I think that it has so much history, it's laid back but has all my favourite shops that I'm used to in London and it even has a Gymboree!

In your opinion what is the ideal town in England to move to that has good employment oppourtunities, great shopping and restautants and reasonable house prices???
Have you checked out www.upmystreet.com . It gives local info. for any part of Britain, and if you want advice etc you can post questions, get into a forum, get tips etc....well worth checking out
personally I haven't been to Cambridge, so can't speak for it, but one place I really like is Oxford...in the summer the centre gets a bit overrun with tourists, but its got some great spots, and some great counrtyside around, plus only an hour from London, which is great for big nights out!
Old Apr 6th 2003, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Buzz thats what we need, after too many years in OZ its more like ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Old Apr 6th 2003, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I know what you mean - Im feel half asleep living here in the mid west and my Ameican hubby just can't understand why I can't settle!
Old Apr 7th 2003, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

bromley girl why are you settling for the midweat why don't you move to NY or something for more excitement !?

Although I understand if you really want to go back to the UK. I sometimes dream about it too .

good luck whatever you do!!
Old Apr 7th 2003, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

It's my husband - he thinks that the east coast is too congested and that there are too many toll roads. Also he is from the midwest origionally and I am from London - what a mix!

I do like New York and would probably find it a lot more interesting than where I'm at right now but I do long to go back to England. I always wanted to come to the States and then when reality hit and I realised that this was it and also after having kids I just feel that I want them to grow up in England.

There is good and bad everywhere but there are some things in the States that just don't agree with.
Old Apr 8th 2003, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

AAAAHHHHHH....Gymboree...great!
Cambridge is fantastic.....but Oxford is just as alluring. I would suggest Brighton or Hove but they're not that cheap!
Old Apr 8th 2003, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another 'Sunday Times' article...

Originally posted by AndrewR
saw an interview in the 'Sunday Times' with the guy who compiled the 'Lonely Planet Britain'...thought people might be interested in some of the things he had to say....this is part of the interview

'Britain: it's paradise island'

'...looking at Britain through the eyes of a tourist you see the country in a different light. a lot has changed in the past decade or so: Cardiff is now trendy, Aberdeen is pulsating and nottingham is one of the clubbing capitals of Europe.
In the twenty years I have been writing guidebooks for countries around the world one of the biggest changes I have seen is to British cities. There's a real buzz and style about them because of the recent wave of regeneration: there's exciting modern architecture and a new appreciation for historical buildings that have been lovingly cleaned or restored....
Traditional tourist cities such as Oxford and bath used to be the only one's people talked about, but now its Birmingham and Bradford....Restaurants have greatly improved over the past decade, and not just in cities. We now have some world class restaurants in some surprsing places...now anyone can get a good meal in Britain.
Other parts of British cultural life have changed for the better..
It sounds sentimental, but if you talk to any foreign tourist they will tell you that the thing they love the most about Britain is the people. This may come as a surprise to many, as we Brits like to think of ourselves as reserved, reticent, semi-detached even. But I think tourists can see it is just a veneer, and in many parts of the country it is not true at all. If you go to a pub, a seaside resort or up a mountain, you come across other equally defining British characteristics- passion, tolerance, agressiveness, hospitality, sentimentality and friendliness. Thats the view of my foreign colleagues, and I felt proud to hear them day it...
Our countryside may not rival Ayers Rock or the Grand Canyon for dramatic views, but what we do have is an abundance is a quiet beauty..
...my own favourite city is London. what better on a sunny day than to walk along the Thames at Kew or Greenwich? At the other extreme I love the north-west tip of scotland, where my wife and I recently spent our wedding aniversary. We could have gone anywhere in the world, but I chose Ullapool. Its becasue I've seen Hawaii, Thailand Africa and Alaska that I feel I can say that Britian is the worlds most beautiful island..... '

Don't know about anyone else, but it makes me feel pretty good that thats my home! (even if I am currently overseas)

Heartwarming and on the money...thanks Andrew.
Old Apr 8th 2003, 9:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can't beat Glasgow

Have you thought about cities in Scotland? Glasgow has all the things you say you are looking for - restaurants, culture, architecture, reasonably priced homes, and the friendliest people you could hope to meet.

Some of my colleagues here in the US visited Glasgow in connection with a student exchange I'm trying to set up. They ended up in a "Celtic" pub during a televised Celtic vs Rangers game - talk about culture shock! But they loved it, and everyone treated them like royalty. Now, when I was living in Scotland (I'm English) I also got on well with the Scots, but I'm not sure how well-received I would have been in that pub....
Old Apr 9th 2003, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point

I've only ever visited it, not lived there, but have you thought about Edinburgh? It really is the most beautiful city in the UK, incredibly dramatic location, history, good shopping, museums galore, sensational countryside around...hell now that I think about it I might look at moving there if and when we move back!
Old Apr 9th 2003, 8:01 am
Just Joined

midnight02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default are you people mad or just really rich?!

brighton, cambridge, London, Edinburgh - all fantastic places but have you checked out the price of property?!

I used to live in Brighton and it ain't cheap. We wanted to move to Cambridge (to escape all the litter, addicts and beggars) but all the decent housing is owned by the university. I suspect the same is true of Oxford. And isn't Edinburgh really expensive?

Georgina
Old Apr 9th 2003, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know Cambridge and Brighton well as well as London and I agree that house prices are expensive. The majority of my family and friends live in London and are saying that I should move back there. I have 2 young children and may be getting divorced so with less money to go back with my options will be a little more limited.
It would be nice to say where I would like to live ideally but I will need to be practical and look at where I can get a job first and foremost.