Wikiposts

An Ancient Brit

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: An Ancient Brit

Originally Posted by Muskoka

good income). Instead of that she relies on the NHS , which she finds scary and incompetent, bought her own place in U.K, cash, which is so much smaller than what she was used to, hard to make new friends, the cold winters she is stuck in. Be careful is all I say.

Has she considered equity release?

My uncle did just that a couple of years ago, hegoes on long hols in winter to the sun in organised group and even goes on cruises, he has even been able to use the money to pay for private health cover through Saga as well.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the idea. Shes not short of money, just the way of life - i.e. warm all year round and the friendships she had in Australia, but didn't realise until she returned the the U.K. I've tried to pursuade her to return to Aus, but she says she cant go back.???? i.e. her friends will have moved on, etc, etc. Sad, but her choice
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:54 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Hardly. The UK loses workers like Jan and Neil and might receive the op, who seems to want to live off others.
Yes but the OP souds a rather pleasant person and surely this counts for something.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Yes but the OP souds a rather pleasant person and surely this counts for something.
That's just it in a nutshell. Forgive me, but what happened to seeing all us human beings as equal? When it boils down to it, we all live on the same planet, regardless of the country we were born in or raised in or choose to change along our journey of life. Why the complaints about people not contributing in some way to some particular country? Are we not all just doing our best to survive on this planet? Is there not a bigger picture to look at? If the majority doesn't ever see it this way, one common tribe, allowing for individual perspectives, outlooks, quirks, differences, how will we ever achieve world peace??? The OP - a stranger to all us posters - asked for help. So, let's all give it to him, if we can. Done. End of story.

Last edited by aes1; Aug 8th 2009 at 3:14 am. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 8th 2009, 3:43 am

nutgrove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aes1
That's just it in a nutshell. Forgive me, but what happened to seeing all us human beings as equal? The OP - a stranger to all us posters - asked for help. So, let's all give it to him, if we can. Done. End of story.
wait on a bit

He has IMO received lots of help (read back post 2, 23 & 24) & thanked us for that help

Originally Posted by Trinovante
Many thanks for all the useful links, Nutgrove. I have another question, about the media in the UK, but hardly have time to frame it

Basically it's about complaints from talk-show wingnuts in the US that they can't buy radio stations in the UK and vent their spleen over there. Question is, what's stopping them; but who needs a British Limbaugh anyway?

Now his concern is "why cant US folks buy UK radio stations"

By getting gobsmacked ... I must stop trying to by helpful, I must stop trying to be helpful, I must stop trying to by helpful, I must stop trying to be helpful

Last edited by nutgrove; Aug 8th 2009 at 3:50 am.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=nutgrove;7824917]wait on a bit

He has IMO received lots of help (read back post 2, 23 & 24) & thanked us for that help

Now his concern is "why cant US folks buy UK radio stations"

By getting gobsmacked ... I must stop trying to by helpful, I must stop trying to be helpful, I must stop trying to by helpful, I must stop trying to be helpful[/QUOTE

Nutgrove, I didn't mean to imply that he hasn't received help - I know he has, and a lot, especially by you (just wanted to use this icon as I have never seen it before!!! No reflection on this post!!) I wanted to try and stop those amongst us who shall be nameless from criticizing and complaining so much...

Please, please, please, please, keep the good advice coming, please continue to try and be helpful, you will get your reward, good karma, energy, etc, etc, etc
Old Aug 8th 2009, 4:02 am

Please, please, please, please, keep the good advice coming, please continue to try and be helpful, you will get your reward, good karma, energy, etc, etc, etc
love those icons

I can tell you will be joining Bernie (who ever the heck he/she is) and me for a drink should we ever all meet up in Blighty
Old Aug 8th 2009, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nutgrove
love those icons

I can tell you will be joining Bernie (who ever the heck he/she is) and me for a drink should we ever all meet up in Blighty
You're on! Mine's a warm Guinness!! Gotta get off this computer.........
Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:13 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

That's just it in a nutshell. Forgive me, but what happened to seeing all us human beings as equal? When it boils down to it, we all live on the same planet, regardless of the country we were born in or raised in or choose to change along our journey of life. Why the complaints about people not contributing in some way to some particular country? Are we not all just doing our best to survive on this planet? Is there not a bigger picture to look at? If the majority doesn't ever see it this way, one common tribe, allowing for individual perspectives, outlooks, quirks, differences, how will we ever achieve world peace??? The OP - a stranger to all us posters - asked for help. So, let's all give it to him, if we can. Done. End of story.
This is largely a romantic notion and despite agreeing with most of it, its largely not workable in the current context of things but thats another issue. Main problem though, concerning this thread is that a large number of people that read this thread are simply hard nosed embittered types that will see the OP looking for a free ride at their expense. They often fail to recognize, that they too could one day find themselves in the predicament of the OP.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Main problem though, concerning this thread is that a large number of people that read this thread are simply hard nosed embittered types that will see the OP looking for a free ride at their expense.
Good point Jules

I never saw the OP question as looking for a free ride

If I can help someone with benefits that are available that helps them to have a better life which they are unable to find themselves or are hidden so deep - then I will

They often fail to recognize, that they too could one day find themselves in the predicament of the OP.
like me an aes1

what about you Jules you're still a young pup right
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:34 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by nutgrove
Good point Jules

I never saw the OP question as looking for a free ride

If I can help someone with benefits that are available that helps them to have a better life which they are unable to find themselves or are hidden so deep - then I will

like me an aes1

what about you Jules you're still a young pup right
35 so I suppose so, saying that I was out today doing off road biking and I normally go pretty fast, overtaking people and impressing them I suppose with my fitness and looks etc. Today though, a guy built like a bulldog rocketed past me and looked about the same age as me. So I guess after this I didn`t feel so young or as fit as I thought I was.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Are u planing on putting any money into the system or are you just gonna come over and rip the arse out of it like everybody else in the world does ?

The NHS is underfunded over used and is dying, it,s one of the many reasons we are leaving

sorry to sound angry but it is the way i feel, Neil
Just wonder where are you leaving for ? A lot of Health Systems are not so great these days.In Oz there are a number of issues with ever declining services..just in case you are thinking of heading this way.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I knew i would get flamed as i was typing it but i will tell u what got up my nose, your first post and all it was saying was , How much do i get, Do i get priority on housing, do i get free medical. It is not a case of taking away from me but one of fair play, I stand by all my statements once again apologies for harshness

Neil
People approacing the autumn years of life often search out where they would find greater comfort for their remaining years,nothing novel in that and understandable.
To want to return to the land of birth and wish to know under what conditions they will need to endure or if at all such a move is at all possible is fully understandable.
I guess some people might just state that some of those folk that leave the UK owing to a free education system should be required in part, to repay the British Taxpayer who paid for their education if have not contributed x number of years by working at home,as it fact it is foreigners who gain the benefit from all the nurses,doctors,etc that leave.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour
People approacing the autumn years of life often search out where they would find greater comfort for their remaining years,nothing novel in that and understandable.

To want to return to the land of birth and wish to know under what conditions they will need to endure or if at all such a move is at all possible is fully understandable.

I guess some people might just state that some of those folk that leave the UK owing to a free education system should be required in part, to repay the British Taxpayer who paid for their education if have not contributed x number of years by working at home,as it fact it is foreigners who gain the benefit from all the nurses,doctors,etc that leave.
I see it in reverse

I do not need to go back to the UK to live my life out after getting a convent education leaving with only 'O' level GCE's

My husband who was educated in the 60's at a British Uni, leaving right after graduation - degree in hand feels the same way

What would (does) totally pee me off (speaking as a Canadian) is the foreigners (non Brits) that have gone to the UK since the second world war & have taken advantage of a relatively inexpensive (free at times) higher education in becoming become Docotors, Lawyers, Nurses, Engineers ... whatever - then leaving to go back to their homelands or even going to OZ, NZ, USA, SA & Canada

The minority (on a scale of how many) of Brit educated persons that leave to live lives abroad, do so by choice, & not just because they got that free education

Today the UK lets in anyone from the EU and they can get the almost free Education

As for for late bloomers that left the UK in their 20's & 30's wanting to go back to retire - so what

Last edited by nutgrove; Aug 8th 2009 at 2:27 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Just wonder where are you leaving for ? A lot of Health Systems are not so great these days.In Oz there are a number of issues with ever declining services..just in case you are thinking of heading this way.
your profile does not say much about you, whether you are Brit by birth, where in fact you live now and when if ever you left the UK

Care to share some of that with us

Jan & Neil I believe are still trying to get to NZ

Last edited by nutgrove; Aug 8th 2009 at 2:38 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.