Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

American wife and I returning to UK before her 2yr limit runs out..

American wife and I returning to UK before her 2yr limit runs out..

Old Dec 16th 2013, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default American wife and I returning to UK before her 2yr limit runs out..

Hello

My American wife and I are leaning towards returning to the UK next year after living in America since 2012. My wife already has a permanent resident visa in the UK.

My understanding is that she could stay outside the UK for two years max before that UK visa becomes invalid, and we'd have to re-apply for her all over again jumping through circus hoops. Is that correct? Have any rules changed now that the Border Agency has been revamped?

This two year deadline has sort of focused our attention on whether it's best to stay in the US or not. It's been on my mind 24/7 for too long now, and the uncertainty wears you down. I guess I've been disappointed with the job scene over here, and so many jobs offer zero benefits ie healthcare. Sure the weather is way better, and I find Americans to be awesomely polite and friendly compared to England. But these things don't pay the bills. So I'm considering swallowing my pride and begging my old UK employer to take me back.

Any thoughts on what was the deciding factor for you in going back home? I've seen so many great things here in Arizona and California that I'll miss. And housing is so affordable. But the healthcare situation worries me, as does retiring in a tough country like the USA.....
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American wife and I returning to UK before her 2yr limit runs out..

You are correct; after 2 years, the process starts from scratch, and you (as the sponsor) have to meet the minimum income requirements. The cost for the spousal visa and ILR under the new rules is a lot more now and going up every year. It's an expensive process - don't go there if you don't need to.

We are retirees (DH is 73); he worked until age 70 for the health insurance. No longer having that worry has made a huge difference in his quality of life. The US is a great country until you get sick or lose your job. If you come back, there are compromises - like a smaller house for more money.

I find folks here in the UK very friendly, and frankly a bit of rain doesn't bother us nearly as much as the horrible heat and humidity (we were in VA). Plus the seasonal extremes were harder for us as we got older, never mind shoveling a 300 foot driveway in the winter! Here we walk more, and our quality of life is much better.

Others may have a different opinion, but only you and your wife can decide what best suits your needs.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 1:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vadio
You are correct; after 2 years, the process starts from scratch, and you (as the sponsor) have to meet the minimum income requirements. The cost for the spousal visa and ILR under the new rules is a lot more now and going up every year. It's an expensive process - don't go there if you don't need to.

We are retirees (DH is 73); he worked until age 70 for the health insurance. No longer having that worry has made a huge difference in his quality of life. The US is a great country until you get sick or lose your job. If you come back, there are compromises - like a smaller house for more money.

I find folks here in the UK very friendly, and frankly a bit of rain doesn't bother us nearly as much as the horrible heat and humidity (we were in VA). Plus the seasonal extremes were harder for us as we got older, never mind shoveling a 300 foot driveway in the winter! Here we walk more, and our quality of life is much better.

Others may have a different opinion, but only you and your wife can decide what best suits your needs.
Yup, basically, weather in the Northeast of the US is absolutely horrible and not suited to older people, as I find tolerance of extreme heat, extreme humidity, and frigid cold gets much worse as one gets older. I can still shovel the light weight snow, but the heavy wet snow is very bad for the back. Now, for folks who live on the west coast, this is all different.

As for retiring in the US, I'd say it is a good environment for retiring; IF you have Medicare eligibility, an average or better than average SS payment, a goodly amount (say, $500,000 or more) in your 403b or equivalent, and can comfortably budget in $6,000 per person, per annum for out of pocket healthcare expenses.

If one falls short on any of the above, either keep working or find a more benign country to retire in ...
Old Feb 7th 2014, 9:59 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
Hello

My American wife and I are leaning towards returning to the UK next year after living in America since 2012. My wife already has a permanent resident visa in the UK.

My understanding is that she could stay outside the UK for two years max before that UK visa becomes invalid, and we'd have to re-apply for her all over again jumping through circus hoops. Is that correct? Have any rules changed now that the Border Agency has been revamped?

This two year deadline has sort of focused our attention on whether it's best to stay in the US or not. It's been on my mind 24/7 for too long now, and the uncertainty wears you down.

I guess I've been disappointed with the job scene over here, and so many jobs offer zero benefits ie healthcare.

Any thoughts on what was the deciding factor for you in going back home
you answered it above as well as here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=824342