Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

American wanting to move to Europe,need advice.

American wanting to move to Europe,need advice.

Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:32 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default American wanting to move to Europe,need advice.

How difficult would it be for an American to immigrate to Europe with out a special skill visa?Are there countries example France,Czech republic,Portugal,UK, ect ect that will allow entry based soluely on the fact that I can financially sustain my self?

Would any of the EU countries allow entry to a mid 40 year old with a 7 figure bank account who does not need to rely on that European government?Money in life usually is a factor.Is it in this situation?

Thank You
Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American wanting to move to Europe,need advice.

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
How difficult would it be for an American to immigrate to Europe with out a special skill visa?Are there countries example France,Czech republic,Portugal,UK, ect ect that will allow entry based soluely on the fact that I can financially sustain my self?

Would any of the EU countries allow entry to a mid 40 year old with a 7 figure bank account who does not need to rely on that European government?Money in life usually is a factor.Is it in this situation?

Thank You
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Try this for the UK; I can't speak for Les Francais or any of the others. The British Government is in the process of installing a points-based system based on skills, so I'm not sure how useful just having lots of money is, although there might be an investor category.

Good luck.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Would any of the EU countries allow entry to a mid 40 year old with a 7 figure bank account who does not need to rely on that European government?
I'm guessing someone with a "7 figure bank account" could afford to pay someone to find out the answer without relying on advice from laypersons in an online forum... oh... and, apparently, not quite bright enough to realize that this forum is for people wanting to move *to* the US.

Ian
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:15 pm
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm guessing someone with a "7 figure bank account" could afford to pay someone to find out the answer without relying on advice from laypersons in an online forum... oh... and, apparently, not quite bright enough to realize that this forum is for people wanting to move *to* the US.

Ian
There is a old saying,if you can't say something helpful then better to keep your thoughts to your self.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Ian
I must have missed the part of the registration where it says forum membership is means tested!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:30 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

There is a old saying,if you can't say something helpful then better to keep your thoughts to your self.

You will need to help me out a bit.
The EU is a big place with lots of little rules and regulations depending on where you are headed.

What part of the EU do you fancy?
Do you have language skills?
Have you been on any trips to scope it out?
Have you got any criminal history?
Any religious, climate, scenery, cultural preferences?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:31 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You
Worth checking out...

http://www.ukimmigration.com/
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 1:01 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
I must have missed the part of the registration where it says forum membership is means tested!
It's on page 2... right next to the part that says: read the top post... which, in turn, says: "use appropriate forum for your questions"!

Ian
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by wbexpat
You will need to help me out a bit.
The EU is a big place with lots of little rules and regulations depending on where you are headed.

What part of the EU do you fancy?
Do you have language skills?
Have you been on any trips to scope it out?
Have you got any criminal history?
Any religious, climate, scenery, cultural preferences?
Thanks for your thoughtful response.Tell you the truth I'd like to immigrate to the UK but based on how tight the laws are not sure if that is a possibility,maybe the 6 month tourist visa at best.I don't have a special skill that would work in my favor,I'm in the mortgage business and have a British friend who have explain the zero odds of using that route to a visa.

No criminal history to hold me back and my only other language is abit of spanish which I speak better than I write.As I'm sure you know visting a place for a few weeks can only tell me what its like to vacation there ,so far that is the only experience I have in France and GB.I'm open to living in several EU and soon to be EU nations if the UK turn out to be a no go.

Netherlands,Italy,Czech Republic,Great Britain,Ireland,France,Sweden,Germany,Spain and Portugal are all cultural interesting nations which I'd consider.Living in or near a large city(2 million) would be idea or just being near enough to drive 50 minutes to night life and cultural points of interest.I would even be open to going the route of investor visa providing the investment is safe #1,and with in my means.

Presently the UK requires nearly 2 million bucks to qualify.The max I could invest and still prove an acceptable yearly imcome on documents and my ability to maintain my self is $500,000. I'm thinking that amount will not get me even to first base for an investor visa.

Seem like the immigration laws in many countries are abit favored toward people who are giving up their freedom to marry a national or to those who are willing to spend most of their time working their tales off for one company usually at a lower salary.Would be nice if the concept of immigration would include a broader definition.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty sure that you could moveto Mexico with that sum,they have a lower requirement.

Or perhaps try the Eastern Europe countries, Bulgaria etc, that seems very popular for 2nd Homes judging by the UK media.

$500 won't buy much in the UK.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Seem like the immigration laws in many countries are abit favored toward people who are giving up their freedom to marry a national
Haha.. are you kidding? That's hilarious! Have you checked out the US immigration laws recently?
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 8:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by augigi
Haha.. are you kidding? That's hilarious! Have you checked out the US immigration laws recently?
I know the American immigration laws aren't much better maybe even worse since 9/11.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

Seem like the immigration laws in many countries are abit favored toward people who are giving up their freedom to marry a national...
Your attitude sucks, and you seem to have a chip on your shoulder - the same chip I see in many Americans who feel some sort of entitlement on the world stage for no other reason than they are American. Do you honestly believe that US immigration is *not* "favored toward people who are giving up their freedom to marry a national"?

Oh, and for someone with a "7 figure bank account", your spelling and grammar suck as much as your attitude. You should consider buying yourself an education.

Ian
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You

I'm pretty certain that you will find openings in Poland.......seeing as though the UK & Ireland, for that matter, are now full of Immigrants from that Country.

Are you married to a Brit??? What is your story and what is your connection to British Ex-Pats?
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 12:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Boiler
Pretty sure that you could moveto Mexico with that sum,they have a lower requirement.

Or perhaps try the Eastern Europe countries, Bulgaria etc, that seems very popular for 2nd Homes judging by the UK media.

$500 won't buy much in the UK.
No,the $500k would be only to qualify for a investor visa if that route were possible at that dollar range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.