Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

American Light fixtures to UK?

American Light fixtures to UK?

Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:43 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Light fixtures to UK?

Originally Posted by WEBlue
The bayonet style used to be more common, so older light fixtures tend to take bayonet a bulb. Now there are all kinds of modern shapes, as If1 says, but really just the two kinds of base for all of them, either bayonet or screw-in.

Just before we left the UK in 2011, many of the stores switched to only carrying the new 'curly' energy-efficient bulbs & it became very difficult to find the conventional old-style bulbs. Don't know if that's still true....
I think old style filament bulbs have actually become "illegal" to produce recently. In US if not UK.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:33 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I think old style filament bulbs have actually become "illegal" to produce recently. In US if not UK.
Hmmm that may be true, though I can still find the old-style bulbs here in my part of the US. If they're outlawed, it's taking a while to draw down the old inventory.

When we left the UK in 2011, they were disappearing fast from all the shops. My old next door neighbour (in the UK) bought up lots of the old-style bulbs to stockpile them so she could prolong switching over to the new kind as long as possible. Wonder if she's still lighting her house the "old" way from the supply in her loft?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:01 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Hmmm that may be true, though I can still find the old-style bulbs here in my part of the US. If they're outlawed, it's taking a while to draw down the old inventory.

When we left the UK in 2011, they were disappearing fast from all the shops. My old next door neighbour (in the UK) bought up lots of the old-style bulbs to stockpile them so she could prolong switching over to the new kind as long as possible. Wonder if she's still lighting her house the "old" way from the supply in her loft?
When I moved, 3 years ago, I put in all new bulbs - about 20 curly ones whatever they are called. Three all died in the same week a year ago, the rest are still going strong.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

You mean they don't produce "regular" light bulbs any more? I still see them in the stores, although not as many.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:42 pm
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by windsong
You mean they don't produce "regular" light bulbs any more? I still see them in the stores, although not as many.
OK - Illegal was a bit strong! They are being phased out.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...-for-bulb-ban/
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:51 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very good question because I have two beautiful, genuine Tiffany lamps I would love to take with me. I assumed, too, they would only have to be rewired but now I wonder if the Tiffany shades will fit afterwards.
Don't they range in value from 30,000 dollars to the millions? Would messing around with wires not have a detrimental affect on this value?
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

OK - Illegal was a bit strong! They are being phased out. .....
The 100w and 60w are all gone (the Fox article says you can still get them, but I haven't seen them for sale in a while) , you can still get the smaller ones, at least up to 25w, and maybe even 40w.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 16th 2013 at 3:58 am.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 1:30 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

You can still get incandescent light bulbs that work in the UK. I think they come from Japan, which has the same voltage as here. Ones from Canada and the US wouldn't work here.

I don't know what the situation is right now, but when we left Canada in 2009 we could get really good CFs that gave bright light and the ones we found here were hopeless. Slow to brighten and nowhere near 100w light when they got there. Have they improved?

I think it's all crazy. People are living with dim, slow light, straining their eyes and suffering in other ways. I know someone who took a fall because she switched on the light on her stairs but didn't wait for it to get bright. I really want to ask the politicians to say what they use in their homes. I bet it's mostly halogens because they're quick and bright, but they're just another type of incandescents, so where's the advantage to the environment?

As halogens are more expensive and don't fit old light fixtures, they're out of reach for a lot of people.

Bev
Old Mar 16th 2013, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Don't they range in value from 30,000 dollars to the millions? Would messing around with wires not have a detrimental affect on this value?
It depends whether it's a true Tiffany lamp...made by Tiffany...or a Tiffany inspired lamp.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tiff...w=1600&bih=732
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It depends whether it's a true Tiffany lamp...made by Tiffany...or a Tiffany inspired lamp.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tiff...w=1600&bih=732
It's a real Tiffany. I believe they cost around $1,000 each 17 years ago. I have absolutely no idea what they are worth today, though.

Last edited by windsong; Mar 16th 2013 at 11:49 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's a real Tiffany. I believe they cost around $1,000 each 17 years ago. I have absolutely no idea what they are worth today, though.
Nice. In that case I'd take them as hand luggage.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Nice. In that case I'd take them as hand luggage.
You know, that's a very good point. I hadn't considered how I would get them across to the UK. Hmm . . . They are heavy, too.