Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

After visiting the folks back home

After visiting the folks back home

Old Jan 16th 2007, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of
Default After visiting the folks back home

I read with interest Libby Purves Times article about returning to the UK after spending Christmas abroad - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...537265,00.html -

The article comes across as one sided but is accurate concerning public transport. I emigrated to the US in 2005 and returned this Christmas to visit my family. I had to reassure my American wife after we were twice scalped by taxi drivers, witnessed a drunken brawl at Reading station, and endured abusive louts on the train from Bristol to Reading. Next time we visit we'll hire a car. More effective patrolling of trains and station platforms would improve the travel experience considerably. The other side of our trip though was the joy of reunion with family and friends, and how nice everyone was to my wife and I - from the welcoming headmaster at my nephews primary school in Warwick which we visited for their Christmas play, to the staff at cheddar gorge who pointed out the animal shaped cave formations to my rapt nephew and niece. I'd forgotten how grey Britain can appear in winter (my wife was amused I kept apologising for the weather), but also how friendly are most people.

Anyone else enjoyed visiting the rellies back in blighty over the Christmas hols?
Old Jan 16th 2007, 5:02 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: After visiting the folks back home

I didn't go back for the hols, but spent a month there last sept and the weather was fabulous (meanwhile in ohio the weather was grey, wet and miserable).

It was lovely to hear all the accents, especially Geordie. while I love my life here in the United States, I sure miss the brit sense of humour and self depreciating humour.

I found the metro and bus services in the northeast fantastic.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

In the comments to the original article http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...537265,00.html Al from Newcastle wrote "The same old rubbish by some southerner returning to after a holiday. The real annoyance is that these people write returning to Britain, but really mean returning to the south east of England." Having lived in Sheffield for a year, and London for four years, before coming to America, I have to agree Spuggy that public transport up north can be better.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going back to Scotland on Monday. It will be my first trip back since making the move to Texas seven months ago. I'm really looking forward to seeing all my family and friends as I still regularly have really bad days when I'm home sick.

A few people have told me that I need to go back to see how crap the place is before I realise how much better it is living over here. My home town is East Kilbride - nothing particularly picturesque about it but it's not so much the place for me it's the people.

I'm going for three weeks with my son (hubby is up to his eye balls here so will miss the trip). I'll give it 24 hours before I'm back to my old habits of not articulating myself properly to make myself understood. I'm really looking forward to hearing all the familiar accents and am also looking forward to seeing if the family thinks my son sounds any different.

My grandfather doesn't keep well and my nieces and nephew are growing up before my eyes so now's a good time for a visit. I don't think living in Texas is particularly better than where I came from, it's just different and home for me will always be East Kilbride where I was born and raised.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry your husband can't make it over with you this time. I miss my family in England, but I also love waking up every day next to my wife knowing I no longer need to say goodbye at the airport - we were four years on other sides of the Atlantic before I came over and that was enough. Wishing you and your son a safe journey and happy reunions on both sides of the pond, Texas Mom.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:47 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
A few people have told me that I need to go back to see how crap the place is before I realise how much better it is living over here. .
Does a place have to be crap to justify moving somewhere else? Isn't that a negative reason rather than looking at the positives of living here. I mean there are a lot of reasons why it is better living here ,but it doesn't have to boil down to somewhere else being crap.

I understand the homesickness, but in time it doesn't hurt as much, especially when you start to really establish your life here, and enjoy seeing different states, establish friends, etc.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:53 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Going to London for 2 weeks tomorrow. I wont be making comparisons - London and Seattle couldnt be more different. Cant wait to see my family - I have been pretty unwell recently so this is just the tonic I need
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewey
Sorry your husband can't make it over with you this time. I miss my family in England, but I also love waking up every day next to my wife knowing I no longer need to say goodbye at the airport - we were four years on other sides of the Atlantic before I came over and that was enough. Wishing you and your son a safe journey and happy reunions on both sides of the pond, Texas Mom.
Thanks Dewey. I know what you mean with regards to waking up next to your wife every morning. I'm really going to miss my husband as he's all the family I've had in the past seven months and I really believe that being here together has somehow brought us closer, no more silly bickering and all that nonsence casue we're in this together! He told me last night that he's really going to miss me and our son, without being too soppy I know it's only three weeks and the thing is I should be used to it as when we lived in Scotland he was gone every other month for weeks on end to Hong Kong, Singapore, Canada or Germany. That was a big deciding factor in making the decsion to move over - that he wouldn't be travelling as much with his new job.
He says he's going to have a Super Bowl party so I'm sure he'll be fine, as long as he cleans up before I get back (I don't think)
Old Jan 18th 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spuggy
Does a place have to be crap to justify moving somewhere else? Isn't that a negative reason rather than looking at the positives of living here. I mean there are a lot of reasons why it is better living here ,but it doesn't have to boil down to somewhere else being crap.

I understand the homesickness, but in time it doesn't hurt as much, especially when you start to really establish your life here, and enjoy seeing different states, establish friends, etc.
Hi Spuggy! Your right a place does not (imho) have to be crap to justify moving somewhere else - I've lost count of the number of people that have said to me - thinking that where they are from is crap! Perhaps it's been people trying to make me feel better re the home sick thing

As I said in my original post it's not that at all for me - I love where I'm from I lived there for 28 years so if it was that bad I would have left sooner. I've never understood how people can say oh yeah go back and then you'll see how much better it is here. I'm enjoying my new life here and I am going to miss my friends here when I go back as I have been lucky enough to make really good friends that I would go so far as to call my surrogate family, I'm settled and more importantly for me my son is settled and he still speaks fondly of Scotland. I'm glad we moved over as I am lucky enough to experience things on both sides of the pond! The weather in the DFW area has been pretty similar to home recently though

I'm really excited about the trip I just need to go buy some maternity clothes for going as I can't walk round my home town like a red neck with my jeans undone! Lol!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 3:43 pm
spuggy

oh, you are going to have a baby congrats, that is so exciting.

yep, you're right they are probably just trying to make you feel better. It is hard to know what to say to someone when they get homesick. The first year I was here I threatened to pack my suitcase and leave almost every other month. I just couldn't relate to people here at all. First time anybody said, "hi, how ya doing" I actually thought they wanted an answer. By the time I figured out what to say they were already down the road. At those momement my dear husband would come home early from work and we would just drive and drive for hours (the new scenery would distract me) and then I would be fine for a while.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Going to London for 2 weeks tomorrow. I wont be making comparisons - London and Seattle couldnt be more different. Cant wait to see my family - I have been pretty unwell recently so this is just the tonic I need
Have a great trip Kate
Old Jan 20th 2007, 12:28 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I had to laugh I posted the more or less same feeling and comments as yourself on my return end of December, its just not the same anymore is it

I could not wait to get back to the US I neally kissed the POA Officer I was so happy to be back.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:17 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Wondered why you were quiet here
Sorry to hear that and I do hope the trip does the trick!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never heard anything positive about Reading, the same thing with Phoenix, AZ. Maybe they should be twinned.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 5:49 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cabritpop
I have never heard anything positive about Reading, the same thing with Phoenix, AZ. Maybe they should be twinned.
Biscuits?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.