Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

After 7 years I want to move back

After 7 years I want to move back

Old Apr 17th 2003, 12:06 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but Terryg...

Home is where the heart is.

Bromleygirl went back to the UK for a month last year. She enjoyed it so much that she didn't want to return to the US.

Most Brits seem to have the impression that life in the US is all about a laid-back Californian lifestyle, or from what they know after spending their hols in Florida LOL.

If you're out in the Mid-West it can be hellishly monotonous - and when one has no family or childhood friends to get together with then it can be really isolating and lonely.

Sometimes it's only when you leave the UK that you appreciate that there are so many good things about it - and for anyone with teenage children in the US the thought about the cost of college education is horrifying compared to how little it costs in comparison in the UK.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Here, Here - thanks English mum.

As all my family live in and around the Bromley area I do hear about what is going on there, however it's nothing when you compare it to the gangs and drive by shootings that occur over here. I feel quite comfortable being in Bromley, walking up and down the High St. and in the Glades. Yes, I know that there are a lot of people but I'm used to that from growing up there and working in London for many years. As for home prices I am aware that they are expensive but is reports are correct that are stabilizing and should start to drop soon. I think that it is all relative to where you are.

I do appreciate your opinion Terry and thank you for sharing it but I think when you live anywhere somewhere else always seems better to live then where you are because if the sheer monotony of life sometimes. Have you ever lived away from the U.K.? Have you ever lived in the States? Life is not that great here and the only reason why I came here was because I married an American.

There are so many disparities here such as healthcare. I know in the U.K. people complain about the NHS but at least people are assured of healthcare. Here in the U.S. there are thousands who are completely uninsured and have no health coverage. I can't beleive that the United States being the country that it is has thousands of it's people with no health coverage at all something that should be a basic right of human existence. I have 2 young children ages 2 and 4 and I am already looking forward to paying for a college education here and that is just another one of my reasons why I would like to move back to the U.K. The education system here is awful - i have 3 older step-sons so I know first hand and know that my children will recieve a much higher standard of education in the U.K. and get to wear school uniforms which is much better. As for jobs - the job market here is horrible right now and has been now for the last 18 months.

I know once I move back to the U.K. and I will not live overseas again no permenantly at least. It's true when you are away for an extended period of time you do miss family and friends which you can never replace. My husband tells me that I should make new firends which I have but none as close as friends that I've had for almost 15-20 years. Lonley and isolated are exactly the 2 words that I have used so I'm glad that someone else knows how I feel - thanks again.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bromley

OK - See what you are saying - just wanted you to know that Bromley is not fanstastic - but you obvioulsy already know.

I am married with 2 boys same ages as your children and am off to Melbourne (OZ) later this year.

Best of luck with your decisions and Good luck

Thanks

Terry

xx

Originally posted by bromleygirl
Here, Here - thanks English mum.

As all my family live in and around the Bromley area I do hear about what is going on there, however it's nothing when you compare it to the gangs and drive by shootings that occur over here. I feel quite comfortable being in Bromley, walking up and down the High St. and in the Glades. Yes, I know that there are a lot of people but I'm used to that from growing up there and working in London for many years. As for home prices I am aware that they are expensive but is reports are correct that are stabilizing and should start to drop soon. I think that it is all relative to where you are.

I do appreciate your opinion Terry and thank you for sharing it but I think when you live anywhere somewhere else always seems better to live then where you are because if the sheer monotony of life sometimes. Have you ever lived away from the U.K.? Have you ever lived in the States? Life is not that great here and the only reason why I came here was because I married an American.

There are so many disparities here such as healthcare. I know in the U.K. people complain about the NHS but at least people are assured of healthcare. Here in the U.S. there are thousands who are completely uninsured and have no health coverage. I can't beleive that the United States being the country that it is has thousands of it's people with no health coverage at all something that should be a basic right of human existence. I have 2 young children ages 2 and 4 and I am already looking forward to paying for a college education here and that is just another one of my reasons why I would like to move back to the U.K. The education system here is awful - i have 3 older step-sons so I know first hand and know that my children will recieve a much higher standard of education in the U.K. and get to wear school uniforms which is much better. As for jobs - the job market here is horrible right now and has been now for the last 18 months.

I know once I move back to the U.K. and I will not live overseas again no permenantly at least. It's true when you are away for an extended period of time you do miss family and friends which you can never replace. My husband tells me that I should make new firends which I have but none as close as friends that I've had for almost 15-20 years. Lonley and isolated are exactly the 2 words that I have used so I'm glad that someone else knows how I feel - thanks again.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: After 7 years I want to move back

Originally posted by terryg
Hey there Bromley

Just wanted to let you know that Bromley is and absolute DUMP. Lived in Bickley for 9 years up till 2001 and now in Orpington, Kent. Boy has it gone downhill. Fighting EVERY night in the high street, property is TOTALLY unaffordable - too congested, no jobs - Forget it.

Traffic, smog, miserable people, over inflated prices, HIDEOUS council tax bills, nowhere to park, nothing to do,

need I go on?

Regards

Terry
Have you ever been to Melbourne Terry?
Old Apr 17th 2003, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by muppetking
Have you ever been to Melbourne Terry?
Why ?
Old Apr 18th 2003, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Why ?
sheer curiosity!
Old Apr 18th 2003, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Muppetking has a valid question for you Terry. If you are up rooting your family to go to Melbourne have you been to Melbourne and checked it out? Do you know what you are going to?
Old Apr 18th 2003, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Muppetking has a valid question for you Terry. If you are up rooting your family to go to Melbourne have you been to Melbourne and checked it out? Do you know what you are going to?
Hi Bromley and Muppet

Yes - been there for 2 weeks at the beginning of this year - Loved the place, the people the climate the lifestyle, job market, economy, things to do , proximity to so many different days out, etc, etc

Didnt like - House prices, cost of living

Regards

Terry
Old Apr 18th 2003, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Bromley and Muppet

Yes - been there for 2 weeks at the beginning of this year - Loved the place, the people the climate the lifestyle, job market, economy, things to do , proximity to so many different days out, etc, etc

Didnt like - House prices, cost of living

Regards

Terry
Been there with the family a few times and really liked it. Quite European in feel (possibly due to the impossibly large number of Greeks!). The northern suburbs I remember were awful..dirty,impoverished,neglected.... but didn't see any other areas so can't comment. Liked the architecture and the area down on the river is great. Good luck Terry
Old Apr 19th 2003, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by muppetking
Been there with the family a few times and really liked it. Quite European in feel (possibly due to the impossibly large number of Greeks!). The northern suburbs I remember were awful..dirty,impoverished,neglected.... but didn't see any other areas so can't comment. Liked the architecture and the area down on the river is great. Good luck Terry
Hi Muppet K

I'm planning to stay in Eastern or Inner Eastern Suburbs - I will probably end up in Balwyn as I quite liked it there.

I am Greek too so I should get on with the locals !

All The best

Terry
Old Apr 20th 2003, 8:37 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I hope it works out too - it has to as I am really fed up!
I've been trying to get a better job and have come runner up on the last 4 positions that I have interviewed for. Honestly employers over here just don't have a clue about employment in other countries and I think that is just another indicator that the States have isolated themselves so much. At an interview I went to about 3 weeks ago, and this was for a professional position within a very large organization they asked if we had microsoft products in England and appeared suprised when I said that we did
Honestly I am getting so P.O.'d that I am ready to go back tomorrow - I'm sure that the job market is probably the same in the U.K. but at least there people will know where I'm coming from.
Hi Bromleygirl,

I just stumbled across this thread by accident - I am usually to be found in the US Marriage Based Visas forum - as my fiance is American and I hope to be moving there later this year (BCIS permitting....) Your name also caught my eye, as I live near Bromley and go there regularly for shopping! Of course, my position is that I am about to move to the US to be with and marry my fiance, and it was very interesting what you, and others, said about your experiences after living there for a number of years. I have only been on short trips (five weeks total.) After staying in his house and visiting his friends and family, I felt at home enough to want to leave everything here and go to be with him. I am keen and enthusiastic and so much looking forward to going there! After reading this thread, I am wondering if I will be feeling just as enthusiastic? Any thoughts?

Debbie
Old Apr 20th 2003, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Debbie,

Where in the U.S. does your furture husband live? I think alot depends on where you are going and what you are leaving. I think a lot of people who are really happy living in the States permantly are happy because they have left the U.K. behind. What I mean is they may have had a bad life or experinces in the U.K. and they see the U.S. as a new start. It's not that I am really unhappy living in the U.S. I do like certain things as I disagree with others - it's as I say to my oldest step-son that I have somethging to compare it to.

As you know I have been here for almost 7 years and for the first 5 I was busy gaining 2 bachelor degrees and 2 babies! Now that I'm working and living in the real world as I call it (we were living on a military base for the first 5 years) I really can see what it is like to live as a civilian in the States. It has been such as eye opener. I'm sure that the majority of people in the U.K. would jump at the chance to move to the States. I know that I had always thought that it would be nice and of course when I met my husband it happened.

Anyway life here in America can quickly become like that of living in the U.K. - by that I mean you get up go to work, come home cook dinner - same thing over and over again. I have always gone home once a year to see family and friends and now that I have children and working it is becoming increasingly harder. American employers are not as generous with annual leave and I refuse to not have a career so I can be assured of being able to go home when I want or need to. On the other hand it is awful that I do not get near enough time to take my children home to the U.K. so they know that they are British and what do you do when you have people to visit and you can't spend time with them because you are working Do you know that you are lucky if you are given 2 weeks a year and usually you will only be given 3 once you have been there for 5 years!

Education is worse in the States and my daughter is going to be 5 this year so I am determined to get her home by next summer. Healthcare - well if you work for a large employer who offers benefits at a reasonable rate than your O.K. but there are thousands who don't have any health coverage.

There are many things that I do not agree with here and I think the only things that I will really miss will be the restaurants and Target! which are really materialistic really.

At the end of the day you need to do what ever is right for you and you only and you won't really know unless you try. Coming here in holiday is completley differeny yo living here. Have you thought about getting your husband to be to move to England? Have you looked at the Americanexpats website. The majority of Americans seem to like living in England!