Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

After 23 years in Canada..Moving to.. The U.K. or Spain ?? Pro's and Cons please.

After 23 years in Canada..Moving to.. The U.K. or Spain ?? Pro's and Cons please.

Old May 4th 2013, 12:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 23 years in Canada..Moving to.. The U.K. or Spain ?? Pro's and Cons please.

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I agree that learning Spanish is a good thing if you come to live here (and I have), but why do you think the OP would need to become a Spanish citizen? Just like in many other countries, people from all over the world can and have lived here for many years, until they die if that's what they want, without having to renounce the citizenship of the country of their birth.
It's primarily a question of mindset.

And it is possible to become a Spanish citizen and keep British citizenship - as far as I am aware, you just have to tell the Spanish you're renouncing, this is ignored by the British authorities.

Some people who move here choose to return to their native country if they become ill or infirm, some don't.
The suggestion was simply to consider this scenario (which has a high probability of arising, over time) before deciding to settle in a new country for retirement.
Old May 4th 2013, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 23 years in Canada..Moving to.. The U.K. or Spain ?? Pro's and Cons please.

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's primarily a question of mindset.

And it is possible to become a Spanish citizen and keep British citizenship - as far as I am aware, you just have to tell the Spanish you're renouncing, this is ignored by the British authorities.

The suggestion was simply to consider this scenario (which has a high probability of arising, over time) before deciding to settle in a new country for retirement.
Certainly it's a good idea to consider what you might do in the event of becoming ill or infirm in a new country you are considering moving to - I don't think enough people take that into account when deciding where to live within a country. Many people want a rural property for peace and quiet (which you don't always get in the Spanish campo because of barking dogs left tied up outside the nearest neighbours' properties, for example) without thinking what they would do if they are an hour's drive on mountain roads from the nearest hospital, or how long an ambulance might take to reach them in an emergency.