Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

After 20 years .....we're off home

After 20 years .....we're off home

Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:59 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of
Default Re: After 20 years .....we're off home

I rented cars for 20 months while we were deciding whether we'd stay in the UK or move back to Aus. The cheapest (and reliable) company I used almost exclusively was carhire3000 which is now called rentalcars.com.
Might be worth looking at their website - it usually, but not always, came in cheaper than the others and you can just extend the rental period no problem. Enterprise were pretty good too.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold

Thanx for that CEM, where did you end up incidentally?
Old Feb 26th 2012, 2:22 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

For now, the UK...

We're in the NE for the next few years, but who know's where we'll end up eventually.

Good luck with the move. I'd love to live in the SW, but this is where the work is for my oh and it's very beautiful up here too.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold

yes well I am a geordie and as much as I love the place ...I am not putting up with those winters.....frazin!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:18 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

That was my big worry. We lived up here 20 years ago and I hated the winters - long, grey and cold. I was dreading coming back (we're up here until our kids finish school - last one in 4 1/2 years), but I can tick this one off and it's been incredibly 'mild'. We've had no snow at all!
Only another 4 to go....
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

There are some good boarding schools in the north....lol Best of luck, Ill be there in May/June for a visit. We may buy a motorhome and tour the country for a while, sneak in a trip to France n Italy.....Regards to the Toon!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:32 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kiwibrit101
There are some good boarding schools in the north....lol Best of luck, Ill be there in May/June for a visit. We may buy a motorhome and tour the country for a while, sneak in a trip to France n Italy.....Regards to the Toon!

Don't think we haven't thought about it - at least for the last one!

If you decide on a motorhome and are heading along the A69 at anytime, call in for a cuppa/wine, depending to the time of day! We're just outside Hexham..

Good luck!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

mmmm I used to live in Wylam....
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:37 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

Took the girls riding there yesterday! Pretty place.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

kampaicharger will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kiwibrit101
Long term car hire say 2 months....any ideas?
We are in Melbourne and planning on moving back next year. Works out cheaper to buy a car, only problem is the insurance rates are astronomical.
Loooking at a premium of 2000 pounds on a 6000 pound car.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kampaicharger
We are in Melbourne and planning on moving back next year. Works out cheaper to buy a car, only problem is the insurance rates are astronomical.
Why such a high premium, lots of returnees have fond cheaper insurance than that. Someone had suggested AVIVA but they were staying in UK not visiting for 2 months.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your car and also no claims bonus etc....the more eco friendy your car the cheaper the car...if you have a no claims document from your insurance in Aus bring it over that helps. We drive a BMW and the insurance is 394 per year fully comp with two drivers. Our son has a Toyota, he was only 20 when he bought it and he pays 850 per year (the younger you are the more insurance you pay) he could drive our car in Aus but I did not have any documents to prove that otherwise it would of been a lot less for him.....so choose your car wisely it all really helps.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

you were ripped of then ,,,ive been in Canada 11 years and just got a quote in uk for ford mondeo me and my canadian girlfriend 337 pounds for both to drive
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

kampaicharger will become famous soon enough

Wasn't sure, I used a comparison site called "go compare" and 2400 pounds was the cheapest for the car (a 6000 pound BMW) while a quote for a 8000 pound caravan was only 85 quid.

It has been suggested to me that I purchase insurance when I buy the car, either way I am on my way and should get there late April next year.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't sure, I used a comparison site called "go compare" and 2400 pounds was the cheapest for the car (a 6000 pound BMW) while a quote for a 8000 pound caravan was only 85 quid.

It has been suggested to me that I purchase insurance when I buy the car, either way I am on my way and should get there late April next year.
If you can afford a newer car then as mentioned its helps with cheaper insurance and also depends on what area you live in, also our road tax is only 30 pounds per year. I would buy a car (the best you can afford at the time) but have a look at on web sites advising which cars are usually cheaper on insurance ie the Citreon C1 & C3, Vaux. Corsa, VW Fox, Ford Fiesta ..those types of cars are some the cheapest to insure at the moment. Good luck