I've been lurking around here for a while reading peoples reasons
etc. for going back to the UK. I would also like to return but I've
been away for like 15 yrs. So for those of you who have returned
or are thinking about it I would appreciate some of your oppinions
to the following:

a. What would be the minimum ammount of money you wiould
return on. (She took it all).
b. Is the job situation as good as everyone makes out and what
is it like for the early fourties. (I'm in Engineering).
I'm from the Northeast where it is cheaper, but realise I
would have to go where the jobs are.
c. Wouild you still return even if you knew you will not get on the
property ladder.
d. Have things changed so much and if so what. ie. materialism,
dynamics or crime. Would I be in for a shock.
e. I would be returning from an EU country, what problems
wouild I face regarding paperwork.

Thanks.
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

loubol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice needed!

Originally posted by GoingWest
I've been lurking around here for a while reading peoples reasons
etc. for going back to the UK. I would also like to return but I've
been away for like 15 yrs. So for those of you who have returned
or are thinking about it I would appreciate some of your oppinions
to the following:

a. What would be the minimum ammount of money you wiould
return on. (She took it all).
b. Is the job situation as good as everyone makes out and what
is it like for the early fourties. (I'm in Engineering).
I'm from the Northeast where it is cheaper, but realise I
would have to go where the jobs are.
c. Wouild you still return even if you knew you will not get on the
property ladder.
d. Have things changed so much and if so what. ie. materialism,
dynamics or crime. Would I be in for a shock.
e. I would be returning from an EU country, what problems
wouild I face regarding paperwork.

Thanks.
I was away in the EU for 12.5 years. Culturally, it's not too hard coming back but the bureaucracy is a nightmare!

a) as much as you can - you'll need money to live on (food, going out etc), plus enough for several months rent and a deposit if you need to rent for buying, especially as it may take several weeks to get benefits if you qualify, plus enough for living expenses such as electricity, gas, phone., council tax...

b) Jobs - depends on your field. At the moment, from searching locally for jobs in Cheshire, there seems to be a lot of vacancies in engineering and construction. IT is also good for jobs.

c) I returned anyway - I still have a house in the Netherlands, co-owned by my ex. I plan to reinvest in a property here as soon as my share of that materialises.

d) Things HAVE changed. The UK has become dirtier, more expensive, more violent, more shallow (obsession with celebrity and shopping). But it's still home and I'm glad I returned.

e) Returning from the EU can be quite straightforward. You are automatically entitled to habitual residence status if you need to apply for benefits. Beware that you will NOT be entitled to contribution-based JobSeekers Allowance even though you paid equivalent NI contributions elsewhere in the EU, unless you work for at least one week AND pay a minimum Class 1 or Class contribution in this country after returning. You could qualify for income-based benefits though. Opening a bank account now is bloody hard if you closed yours while away. Be persistent and make sure you have enough ID - it varies from bank to bank. Getting back into the NHS is no problem - just go to a GP and register - take your passport as proof of your nationality. Tax - you won't get a tax code until you start working again. Ask at your local tax office for Form P86, fill it in and send it back as soon as you get a job.

Any other questions, just ask. I'm writing a book for returning expats right now. I don't have all the answers yet but can maybe help with specific questions.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

creamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud of

Hi Loubol,
thanks so much for your info you gave me. I'm returning to uk hopefully in next few weeks if we can free up some of the equity in our house. I'm gunna rent for few months which should hopefully give agency time to asess me, for financial help for me and the children.
All down to your upbeat post!

Hope your book goes well.

Old Jul 4th 2004, 3:50 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by devonchick
Hi Loubol,
thanks so much for your info you gave me. I'm returning to uk hopefully in next few weeks if we can free up some of the equity in our house. I'm gunna rent for few months which should hopefully give agency time to asess me, for financial help for me and the children.
All down to your upbeat post!

Hope your book goes well.

Hi Devonchick

How are things for you then?? I know you had posted a few times on here for help...so just wondered how life is going for you?

Pants
Old Jul 4th 2004, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

creamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pants
Hi Devonchick

How are things for you then?? I know you had posted a few times on here for help...so just wondered how life is going for you?

Pants
Hi pants,
not been all that great really! Hubby and I are gunna split up, so am taking the kids back home, need mates at this time in my life.
Sadly I wont have anywhere to live as have no family, so will be trying to free up some equity in the house here, and rent until, I can become eligible for financial help.
Won't be easy and very scared. How to cope really with a little boy who's not too well?
But its the right decision.

How about you? your Plans seem to be coming along now.

Thanks for concern,

Deb
Old Jul 4th 2004, 8:41 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by devonchick
Hi pants,
not been all that great really! Hubby and I are gunna split up, so am taking the kids back home, need mates at this time in my life.
Sadly I wont have anywhere to live as have no family, so will be trying to free up some equity in the house here, and rent until, I can become eligible for financial help.
Won't be easy and very scared. How to cope really with a little boy who's not too well?
But its the right decision.

How about you? your Plans seem to be coming along now.

Thanks for concern,

Deb

Deb

I am so sorry to hear about your split.I hope everything works out for you the way you want it to.You can only do what's feels right for you and your children now !!How many of us know what the future holds just hang on in there with all the love and support from your friends. Life can throw all crap at many of us can't it but you sound like a strong lady I am sure you will cope better than you expected!Lots of good thoughts and wishes coming your way !!!

All the very best with all your plans

P
Old Jul 4th 2004, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Deb

I am so sorry to hear about your split.I hope everything works out for you the way you want it to.You can only do what's feels right for you and your children now !!How many of us know what the future holds just hang on in there with all the love and support from your friends. Life can throw all crap at many of us can't it but you sound like a strong lady I am sure you will cope better than you expected!Lots of good thoughts and wishes coming your way !!!

All the very best with all your plans

P
Thanks for kind thoughts Pants. Hve never ben out there on my own before, so it feels like a huge scary thing to me, especially with a sick 5 yr old.
:scared: But I know its the only way to go forward, im still too young to not get out and enjoy life again! My mates are all waiting for me, all desperate to help me, so im very lucky girl.

Am already thinking about my welcome home drinkies session lol!

kind gestures like yours mean everything at the moment,
Thankyou so, so much.

Thanks mate
Old Jul 4th 2004, 8:58 am
Live the moment

Your welcome...how sick is your son? did I read in another post that he has tourettes syndrome???

Life is also too bloody short so you have to live it....look forward as much as you can. You will be fine especially if you have good support from your friends...

Sounds like it will be a great welcome home party..!!!Enjoy.!!

Old Jul 4th 2004, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Your welcome...how sick is your son? did I read in another post that he has tourettes syndrome???

Life is also too bloody short so you have to live it....look forward as much as you can. You will be fine especially if you have good support from your friends...

Sounds like it will be a great welcome home party..!!!Enjoy.!!

Yes he does pants, sadly its compounded by stress and change, so he will be not too good after all this, but we will win thtough, gotta, its only me in the driving seat now!

Leaving uk party was the bees knees, dont remember a great deal really, lol, but do remember falling over and hurting my leg, was swollen for 2 months after!

But wont be drinking like that this time as have even more responsibility, than ever.

Will be posting on here till im gone wether thats in predicted 2 weeks or longer whilst house sells.

Thanks again, matey,

Deb x