Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Advice about Estate Agents in the Bristol Area

Advice about Estate Agents in the Bristol Area

Old Nov 4th 2006, 3:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice about Estate Agents in the Bristol Area

Originally Posted by krizzy
I have family in Keynsham...I lived with my aunt and uncle there for a time...I loved the place...
All my family are over that way now - if ever I was lucky enough to go back home, I reckon thats where I'd end up
Old Nov 4th 2006, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Ariosto is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband and I talked and we are definitely going to fly over and check out properties now that we've got a list of estate agents as well as a list of good and bad areas. Thanks everybody!!

BTW: for anybody else who is moving back, my sister gave me two excellent websites as follows:

1. www.whatcar.co.uk (this site is a car buyer's guide with a ton of information about prices, performance, reviews, maintenance costs, etc).

2. www.which.co.uk (you can register for a free 30 day trial and get access to consumer reports for all kinds of household appliances, computers, televisions, and so on.)
Old Nov 4th 2006, 5:49 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
All my family are over that way now - if ever I was lucky enough to go back home, I reckon thats where I'd end up
My Aunt still lives in the same house.. it must be going on 50 years now if not more...
Old Nov 4th 2006, 6:39 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Advice about Estate Agents in the Bristol Area

I can't help you with estate agents but my husband is a Bristolian. He grew up in Cotham (next to the ultra-posh and expensive Clifton) and went to Cotham Grammar school.....there was a story based at the school on an episode of Casualty a few years ago...)

Cotham is a really nice suburb of Bristol, if you're loaded then move to Clifton.....the Clifton Downs are lovely and of course you can go across the famous suspension bridge built by I.K. Brunel

My brother-in-law lived briefly in Easton in Bristol, it's another place which is not very desirable.

Good Luck...and I'm jealous too!
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I can't help you with estate agents but my husband is a Bristolian. He grew up in Cotham (next to the ultra-posh and expensive Clifton) and went to Cotham Grammar school.....there was a story based at the school on an episode of Casualty a few years ago...)

Cotham is a really nice suburb of Bristol, if you're loaded then move to Clifton.....the Clifton Downs are lovely and of course you can go across the famous suspension bridge built by I.K. Brunel

My brother-in-law lived briefly in Easton in Bristol, it's another place which is not very desirable.

Good Luck...and I'm jealous too!
Englishmum,My sister used to have a pet shop in Cotham right at the top of St Michaels Hill about 100 yards from where Cary Grant the filmstar was born on Kingsdown Parade.
Ariosto! Anywhere in North Somerset is only 10 to 15 minutes from Almondsbury on the M5 ie,Clevedon,Yatton,Nailsea,Portishead,Clapton,Pill ,Easton in Gordano
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:31 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
Englishmum,My sister used to have a pet shop in Cotham right at the top of St Michaels Hill about 100 yards from where Cary Grant the filmstar was born on Kingsdown Parade.
Ariosto! Anywhere in North Somerset is only 10 to 15 minutes from Almondsbury on the M5 ie,Clevedon,Yatton,Nailsea,Portishead,Clapton,Pill ,Easton in Gordano
My nan lived back to back with Cary Grants house near enough..her family owned most of the homes around there at one time...
My Grandfathers family were farmers near Bristol and made a lot of money selling the land...then building on it... then as waste removerers...the company is still big in the area today....not that I know the branch of the family that now own it...if I told you my Grandfather had 23 brothers and sisters you'll understand why....
Old Nov 5th 2006, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Montpelier for 6/7 years loved it then, but those were my young free and single days. Clifton, Redland, Cotham and Leigh Woods are good areas within the city to live if you can afford them.

I like areas south and southeast of Bristol if I was to live in the surronding areas but that's 'cause I know them well. But places to look at are: Saltford, Keynsham, Bitton, Warmley, Marksbury, Farmborough, Chew Magna, Temple Cloud, Farrington Gurney, Chewton Mendip, Clutton, Dundry, in fact loads of places to choose from. Good luck.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 3:41 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
My husband was at school with a guy called Rupert and we were houseguests at his mum's house in Kingsdown Parade. It was the most beautiful, amazing house which is the kind of home you see in glossy 'lifestyle' magazines; a Georgian townhouse with about 4 storeys (one of those kinds of houses originally built for merchants and traders who were possibly involved in the slave trade back in the day).

http://www.about-bristol.co.uk/kng-03.asp

My spouse used to enjoy the chips at the chippy at Christmas Steps.

Last edited by Englishmum; Nov 5th 2006 at 3:48 am.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I lived in Montpelier for 6/7 years loved it then, but those were my young free and single days. Clifton, Redland, Cotham and Leigh Woods are good areas within the city to live if you can afford them.

I like areas south and southeast of Bristol if I was to live in the surronding areas but that's 'cause I know them well. But places to look at are: Saltford, Keynsham, Bitton, Warmley, Marksbury, Farmborough, Chew Magna, Temple Cloud, Farrington Gurney, Chewton Mendip, Clutton, Dundry, in fact loads of places to choose from. Good luck.
Like a trip down memory lane. We lived in Pensford, Radstock and Keynsham and when I was a kid, Temple Cloud and Stanton Drew. Bit of a trek to Almondsbury from that side of bristol, very pricey now and also a little bit remote if you dont drive and poor bus service to Bristol a little better if you keep on the A38. Keynsham has an excellent school called Wellsway which is rated in the top 100 schools on the league table for england (or it was) but you need to be Shandag side. The otherside is getting a little rough (I lived there), mind you so are some of the villages . Thornbury is nearer and so is Yate but some areas of this are also quite rough (brother lives there). South Glouster could be an option too.

Jo
Old Nov 7th 2006, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Arizona Wurzel]
Originally Posted by Ariosto
Southmead,Eastville,Easton,Barton Hill,Bedminster,Hartcliffe,Knowle West,St Pauls,my wife is from Fishponds and even thats getting bad.Almondsbury is nice also Iron Acton,Bradley Stoke,Winterbourne and any of the villages north of the M4 and either side of the M5.Hope this helps.
Don't forget Coalpit Heath and Frampton Cotterell! Try these:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/action/ShowBranch?ag_u=12744

or these:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/action/ShowBranch?ag_u=16550
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Anyone any comments on the St George area? Or Patchway or Hanham Green?

We are thinking of Bristol when we go back next year.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 6:19 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mummy

St George.. NO. Patchway.. in parts is OK... stick to the Bradley Stoke side of the A38. I don't know enough about Hanham to comment.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 6:39 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Wow this is a trip down memory lane! I was born and bred in Wells, Somt. Spent loads of time in Bristol with my sister and our friends. We all rode motorbikes so used to go to The Granary and Roxy's. Used to drink in The Mardyke at Hotwells as well.

Happy times
Old Nov 10th 2006, 7:39 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy

St george isn't great & if you have school age kids I'd give it a miss (just MHO ) Patchway is so-so, Hanham probably has the best schools of the three but I suspect is the most expensive

www.thisisbristol.co.uk has the Evening post on-line & is full of useful info