Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Access to NHS++ after moving back to the UK

Access to NHS++ after moving back to the UK

Old Jun 7th 2021, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

mprest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Access to NHS++ after moving back to the UK

We have been living outside the UK for almost 20 years after retiring. We have a house in the UK that we rent out so don't pay any bills so technically don't have a mailing address. At some point we'll be moving back to the UK but are concerned about losing our UK 'rights' as I read that if you are outside the UK for 20 years you lose certain rights like access to NHS which as we get older is a concern. We have US Green Cards but are still UK Citizens. We receive UK pensions in to a UK back account, have a house in Harrogate as i mentioned which we rent out so do not pay any bills. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jun 7th 2021, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Access to NHS++ after moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by mprest
We have been living outside the UK for almost 20 years after retiring. We have a house in the UK that we rent out so don't pay any bills so technically don't have a mailing address. At some point we'll be moving back to the UK but are concerned about losing our UK 'rights' as I read that if you are outside the UK for 20 years you lose certain rights like access to NHS which as we get older is a concern. We have US Green Cards but are still UK Citizens. We receive UK pensions in to a UK back account, have a house in Harrogate as i mentioned which we rent out so do not pay any bills. Any advice would be appreciated.
Guidance for Overseas Visitors

Q. "Why should I pay for treatment when I own a property in the UK?” A. NHS is residency-based healthcare, if you do not live in the UK on a permanent basis you may not be entitled to care.

Q. "I want to return to the UK, will I have to pay for treatment?” A. If the intention of your return is to resume your permanent residency you will be entitled to health care, you will however be asked to provide documentation to confirm this.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jun 7th 2021 at 5:51 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2021, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you return to the UK permanently, then once settled with documents to prove your permanency ie an address, you'll be eligible for the NHS.
Old Jun 7th 2021, 5:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mprest
At some point we'll be moving back to the UK but are concerned about losing our UK 'rights' as I read that if you are outside the UK for 20 years you lose certain rights like access to NHS which as we get older is a concern. We have US Green Cards but are still UK Citizens.
No, that’s not correct. As said above, NHS eligibility is residence based, so you’re not eligible for it now, but will be once you move back, regardless of how long you’ve been out of the UK.

Welcome to BE and good luck with the move back - is the plan to take out US citizenship before you return?