Accents

Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accents

Well done on the kitties. I'm sure they'll be just fine. My tests were done on the same day as their shots, and they came back with tons to spare. Let us know how it goes.

Funny about Edinburgh; my husband cannot say it for the life of him. He says Edin "borough", which drives me crazy. It's like Worcestershire. Why is it so hard to miss out a few syllables. Everyone I know in the States has to sound out the "ces-ter". Very strange, especially when they're asking for the sauce!

Hopefully my rough edges will smooth out soon. Today I actually said "no tomato" in the American way while ordering a sandwich here. How embarrassing is that? I was with an American student and had been hanging out with her all morning, so that explains it (I hope).

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Hi Tara
That's so funny, you have the same thing that I do, drink induced accent, ha, ha!!! I agree with the forgetting how to say certain words. Sometimes I stop to figure out if the way I say words is the American way or the Scottish way, because I now use both and can't remember which is which sometimes. But, I always say words like 'tomato' the British way, and I always get weird looks when I say 'no tomato please'!!!

By the way, talking of saying things correctly, hardly anyone here in America knows how to say Edinburgh, even when they have visited. Although, I did meet one American lady the other day who was dying to tell me about her trip to Scotland, and told me she had really enjoyed Edinburgh, and she said it right. First time in 20 years I have heard an American that has visited Edinburgh pronounce it right. They tend to say Edinborg........weird!!! Even after I pronounce it correctly for them, they still can't say it

Tara, just to update you on my kitties, they have both been microchipped with HomeAgain, rabies jabs, and blood tested. Just waiting for the results of the blood tests right now to be sent back to us from the accredited lab. Hope that they are both okay!!

Sandra
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Something is bugging me.

Before i left UK most british accents (apart from one) didnt bother me in the slightest. I am slightly embarrassed to say that since coming back theres a few people on TV whose voices drive me up the wall!!! The worst culprit is Kerry Tacona. I have to turn the tv sound off when she comes on. She may well be a lovely person but i cannot bare the voice!!

Do you think maybe i have just become overly sensitive through being away so long? Has anyone else found their ears more sensitive to accents than they were before they left? Or am i just being a grouchy old mare?
Can I ask as from glasgow and everyone in scotland has a different accent dependent on where they come from. Is it the same in Oz or do they all speak the same????
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

DestinationSidney,
Before I moved to the US I just had it in my brain that every American spoke the same, but of course they all have their different regional accents, as I would guess Australians do. The longer you're there the more distinct they will be to your ear. By the way, I love the Glaswegian accent!
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Accents

Tara,
I know how you feel about Americans and there pronunciation of certain words. Why do they change words like Warwick to sound out every syllable - war-wick instead of warick the way we say it. If a town or city is named after a foreign town why don't they pronounce it the original way. I live near St. Louis and wrongly thought that it was pronounced St. Louis (St. Looeee) named after St. Louis of France, which it is. But they pronounce it Lewis. It is French so why not pronounce it the French way. I have always wondered about this and no-one really gives me an answer when I ask.

This is beginning to sound like a grumble about Americans, but I don't mean it that way as I have made some wonderful friends here and really enjoy living here. Just some thoughts on pronunciation, that's all.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

The funny thing about St. Louis is that you're right about the pronounciation depending on who you speak to. Some say St. Louis (French style) and some don't -- weird. War-wick is one my husband has struggled with, as I'm at the University of Warwick, and when he tells our friends in the US where I am he's constantly having to correct them that it's War-rick, not War-wick. Mind you, we do have some funny spellings for things -- he cannot understand how Beau-Champ becomes Beecham, or Bel-voir becomes Beever. We can sometimes be our own worse enemy!

Tara,
I know how you feel about Americans and there pronunciation of certain words. Why do they change words like Warwick to sound out every syllable - war-wick instead of warick the way we say it. If a town or city is named after a foreign town why don't they pronounce it the original way. I live near St. Louis and wrongly thought that it was pronounced St. Louis (St. Looeee) named after St. Louis of France, which it is. But they pronounce it Lewis. It is French so why not pronounce it the French way. I have always wondered about this and no-one really gives me an answer when I ask.

This is beginning to sound like a grumble about Americans, but I don't mean it that way as I have made some wonderful friends here and really enjoy living here. Just some thoughts on pronunciation, that's all.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaraC
The funny thing about St. Louis is that you're right about the pronounciation depending on who you speak to. Some say St. Louis (French style) and some don't -- weird. War-wick is one my husband has struggled with, as I'm at the University of Warwick, and when he tells our friends in the US where I am he's constantly having to correct them that it's War-rick, not War-wick. Mind you, we do have some funny spellings for things -- he cannot understand how Beau-Champ becomes Beecham, or Bel-voir becomes Beever. We can sometimes be our own worse enemy!
In Toronto there's a Strachan Avenue but it's pronounced Stran!
Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:24 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting thread FFFNow I am told by my family that I sound like an American when I go home to visit. Which is quite funny as 90% of the people I meet over here in the US ask me where I'm from. Most guess Ireland, which is fine with me as I love the Irish accent (I also looooooooove the French accent!!). Maybe it's just perspective on peoples' parts. To be honest I hate that I have lost most of my Scottish accent.
I'm from just outside Glasgow and now live in Edinburgh but I get told by my family that I have an Edinburgh accent and when I'm in Edinburgh I'm asked what part of the West am I from
Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:16 am
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

In Canada and USA for Worcestershire Sauce they say War-chester-shire sauce or something similar. Always sounds weird.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

I used to have to have the subtitles on when watching Nesbitt?? Can't remember what it was about other than the character sitting in a string vest...cannot remember why I used to watch it either ha ha omg dementia has started....
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

newenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of light

We Americans (anyway where I am) say Wis-ti-shire sauce, or something like that. I know that's probably wrong. We have a city of Worcester here in Massachusetts and it's pronounced Wis-ter.

There are Tons of accents here in the US and we notice them but you would have to become more attuned to American speech, I would think, before you could pick up on them. I can hardly understand people in places like Texas or most of the South. Also, people in the south say Y'all and variations thereof; I cringe when I hear that, but to them it's the normal way of speech.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Keyona in the US is an unknown quantity at this point

We pronounce Worchestershire: Worsh-tah-sher.

My Mom is from Kentucky and she only says, Y'all when she's actually speaking to a group of people (and with her it's more like yawl - one syllable; shortened form of "you all"). She doesn't "southern belle" it to death like Paula Dean on the Food Network. Nothing against Paula, but she goes way overboard; she even grates on my mom's nerves.

And about the difference in pronunciation of words like Warwick and St. Louis - I find that an amusing example of the differences between people. I always figure that the natives of a certain place know best. For instance, the largest city in Kentucky is Louisville. You can tell who is a native Kentuckian because they're the only ones who call it Loull-ville with two syllables instead of Lou-a-ville or Lewyville like most everyone else.

Personally, I enjoy the differences in the way people say words! I love the way the British pronounce vitamin, garage, schedule, and many, many others. In fact, the British pronunciation of schedule is the only reason I can spell the word today, since you all say it the way it's spelled. I always pronounce it SHedule in my mind while I'm writing it.

Last edited by Keyona in the US; Dec 8th 2007 at 2:14 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Something is bugging me.

Before i left UK most british accents (apart from one) didnt bother me in the slightest. I am slightly embarrassed to say that since coming back theres a few people on TV whose voices drive me up the wall!!! The worst culprit is Kerry Tacona. I have to turn the tv sound off when she comes on. She may well be a lovely person but i cannot bare the voice!!

Do you think maybe i have just become overly sensitive through being away so long? Has anyone else found their ears more sensitive to accents than they were before they left? Or am i just being a grouchy old mare?
When i went back on holiday to the UK, i noticed how strong the accents were. Some sounded so common god, i hope that doesn't make me sound up myself, i am sooooooooooooooooooo not!
Old Dec 8th 2007, 5:13 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
When i went back on holiday to the UK, i noticed how strong the accents were. Some sounded so common god, i hope that doesn't make me sound up myself, i am sooooooooooooooooooo not!
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Keyona in the US
We pronounce Worchestershire: Worsh-tah-sher.

My Mom is from Kentucky and she only says, Y'all when she's actually speaking to a group of people (and with her it's more like yawl - one syllable; shortened form of "you all"). She doesn't "southern belle" it to death like Paula Dean on the Food Network. Nothing against Paula, but she goes way overboard; she even grates on my mom's nerves.

And about the difference in pronunciation of words like Warwick and St. Louis - I find that an amusing example of the differences between people. I always figure that the natives of a certain place know best. For instance, the largest city in Kentucky is Louisville. You can tell who is a native Kentuckian because they're the only ones who call it Loull-ville with two syllables instead of Lou-a-ville or Lewyville like most everyone else.

Personally, I enjoy the differences in the way people say words! I love the way the British pronounce vitamin, garage, schedule, and many, many others. In fact, the British pronunciation of schedule is the only reason I can spell the word today, since you all say it the way it's spelled. I always pronounce it SHedule in my mind while I'm writing it.

I love the American accents from the Southern States except Texas (Sorry in advance to any Texans)

We used to go to Hilton Head (SC) alot and just loved the accents there.

Best mispronunciations from an American I've heard are Hi Why-Combi (High Wycombe) and Lie-sez-ta (Leicester).

Also try getting an American to believe that Belvoir (as in Castle) is actually pronounced Beaver
Old Dec 9th 2007, 2:31 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I was recently in Orlando and must have become more sensitive to British accents already because the amount of 'London' accents I heard all sounded like Miss Brahmms in 'Are You being Served' - very high pitched and whiny.

Also, Brits were very easy to spot because of the strange and embarrassing British pnenonema of wearing football (soccer) shirts wherever they go in the world. It makes me cringe with embarrassement as they look like clones with no identity other than that embezzled on their football shirts - 1000s of them at the theme parks. I suppose it cuts back on the luggage - one home strip, one away strip

I do love the variety of British accents though. My favourites being Glaswegian and Geordie, who in my opinion both have a great sense of humour too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.