Reload this Page >

51 Year Old Accountant's Job Prospects in South East

51 Year Old Accountant's Job Prospects in South East

Old Nov 17th 2018, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Corfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile 51 Year Old Accountant's Job Prospects in South East

Hello,

Me and the family spent a lovely vacation in the UK a few months ago. We have been considering returning for a while but at 51 I am concerned that it would be difficult to find a well paid job. We have been in Canada since 2002 so my work experience is now Canadian lol.

I was wondering if anyone can provide some guidance?

Cheer,
Spencer
Old Nov 17th 2018, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 51 Year Old Accountant's Job Prospects in South East

Things may have changed a great deal in the interim. I know that the accountant who runs our Housing Association is always complaining about the changing world of Accountancy
Old Nov 18th 2018, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
What type of accountant are you - Chartered accountant or company accountant?
Were you previously qualified and registered in the UK?
Once you establish that your qualifications are currently recognised in the UK you could contact an employment / head-hunter agency and discuss what they may be able to do for you.
HTH
Old Nov 18th 2018, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your replies.

I am a UK Chartered Management Accountant (CIMA) and I previously worked for AIG and Heinz. I am most concerned with ageism and I have been informed that recruiters aren't interested until you are in the UK. I have reached out but they don't reply which I have read it normal.

Thanks,
Spencer
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Pothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nice

Hi Spencer - my partner and I have just returned from 11 years in NZ. My biggest concern was getting employment as we are 55 and 58 and I always thought of the UK as being ageist. I am an unqualified accountant (with only NZ accountancy experience) and it took me two days to find a job! I work for a large accountancy firm with several offices in the SW and London and work within internal finance doing the management accounts for various entities. You will absolutely not have a problem, there is a shortage of accountants and very low unemployment at the moment. My partner who is an unqualified civil engineer (with many years experience both UK & NZ) has a job with the local council - they love the fact that he has experience. So things for us couldn't have worked out better and we are very happy.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pothy
Hi Spencer - my partner and I have just returned from 11 years in NZ. My biggest concern was getting employment as we are 55 and 58 and I always thought of the UK as being ageist. I am an unqualified accountant (with only NZ accountancy experience) and it took me two days to find a job! I work for a large accountancy firm with several offices in the SW and London and work within internal finance doing the management accounts for various entities. You will absolutely not have a problem, there is a shortage of accountants and very low unemployment at the moment. My partner who is an unqualified civil engineer (with many years experience both UK & NZ) has a job with the local council - they love the fact that he has experience. So things for us couldn't have worked out better and we are very happy.
Thank you Pothy