Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

40k in canada vs 50k in uk....what is better?

40k in canada vs 50k in uk....what is better?

Old Sep 4th 2018, 12:24 am
Just Joined

siddom is on a distinguished road
Default 40k in canada vs 50k in uk....what is better?

i have a shot at making 50k in the uk in a couple years vs 40k in canada.

After converting currency 50k in uk is about 85k canadian.

however, im comparing the amounts in their original form ie. 50k in uk and 40k in canada

the job that ill have in the uk would be in the medical field
the job in canada is in the retail electronics field

what do you all think

personally i like living in canada and it is where my family is and is home. the uk on the other hand is conjested and over populated....but has great history and theres never a dull moment.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 12:44 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 40k in canada vs 50k in uk....what is better?

Originally Posted by siddom

personally i like living in canada and it is where my family is and is home. the uk on the other hand is conjested and over populated....but has great history and theres never a dull moment.
I have to ask why you are asking? If you don't like the UK, you love Canada, all your family is here, then why even entertain the notion of moving.

As for salary comparison, it isn't the amount of money earned but the buying power of the money in the country earned.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 12:49 am
Just Joined

I am pretty sure 40k dollars would buy you as much as in canada as 40k pounds would buy you in the UK....right?

I already completed 2 years of schooling in the uk with the intent of coming back to canada and earning even more, but its not possible any more due to issues with seats etc. So my dilema is do i go back and complete school and settle in the uk or just scratch it off and come back to canada working in retail.

Last edited by siddom; Sep 4th 2018 at 12:52 am.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

I am pretty sure 40k dollars would buy you as much as in canada as 40k pounds would buy you in the UK....right?

I already completed 2 years of schooling in the uk with the intent of coming back to canada and earning even more, but its not possible any more due to issues with seats etc. So my dilema is do i go back and complete school and settle in the uk or just scratch it off and come back to canada working in retail.
$40K in Canada is a fairly low salary and wouldn't go very far. GBP50K would give you considerably more purchasing power.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

40k in Canada would be tough to have a decent life on mainly due to the cost of housing and food.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 2:23 am
Just Joined

I don't have any house payments in Canada whereas in the UK I would be looking at 500-700 pounds a month
Old Sep 5th 2018, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well where are you going to liv ein the UK
Old Sep 5th 2018, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't move on the basis you are considering as a job can disappear quickly.

Would take your comment about the UK though as pretty uninformed. I am only 18 miles from a major city. On my way to work this morning, I might see one other person and maybe one vehicle- probably a tractor. If I were to head out of my house and start walking in a southerly direction, it would be days before I came to a major population. Yes, if you chose to live in a major city, it will feel as you say, but I am sure living in a major city in Canada would as well.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Benson55
Well where are you going to liv ein the UK
one of the coastal cities
Old Sep 8th 2018, 1:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why you think that, £40,000 equates to nearly $68,000, so is a huge amount more.

I'd live quite happily in the UK on £50k a year, I wouldn't want to live in Canada on $40k a year personally.
Old Sep 15th 2018, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

i get that theres a currency difference but you are not gonna be spending dollars in england or pounds in canada.....is the difference in salary nominal or huge?
Old Sep 15th 2018, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

i get that theres a currency difference but you are not gonna be spending dollars in england or pounds in canada.....is the difference in salary nominal or huge?
Living in Canada on $40K would be the equivalent of living in the UK on about GBP25K.
Old Sep 15th 2018, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I get by on less than £25K in Uk but I live a very simple life - no car, no booze. I am single.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 5:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

But cost of living in the two countries is about the same, and one salary is not far off double the other - so it's certainly not a nominal difference IMO.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 17th 2018 at 5:32 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Still confused about this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.