Reload this Page >

34 years in usa moving back to scotland

34 years in usa moving back to scotland

Old Sep 1st 2023, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

i11m10c2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool 34 years in usa moving back to scotland

Hello there.
i have been in the us for 34 years,kids are grown almost debt free and now i think its time to go back! Almost 10 years ago i thought about it but it was a knee jerk reaction to a divorce and i had some imigration issues to clear up IE miss spelled paperwork and a incorrect name on file with UCIS. having that all taken care of now i think im ready for the right reasons to return.
i have family there and my father is getting older and i would like to be there for him in his older years.

now the fun begins finding a flat, getting bank account,getting a drivers licence transfering my government retirement and finding employment in my industry.

im sure i will have lots of questions feels a little daunting
Old Sep 1st 2023, 5:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 34 years in usa moving back to scotland

If you ever held a full UK driving licence, you just need to apply to have it reissued. You can only do that after you become resident in the UK again, but your US (state) license will be valid for up to 12 months are you become resident in the UK.

If you haven't been paying voluntary NI contributions and ever paid NI (at least three years actual payments), you should seriously consider making voluntary contributions towards a UK state pension. Under current, temporary rules, you may be able to contribute as far back as 2006-07, so 17 years. As you need 35 years for a full pension, you should add up how many years you already have* (may include 2-3 deemed years while at school age 16-18), how many more years you expect after you return to the UK, and then seek to make that number up to 35 if possible. The investment return on NI contributions is extraordinarily good if you apply for and qualify for Class 2 contributions (most people do qualify).

* Ask the NI International Dept for your NI record.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 1st 2023 at 5:10 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2023, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I use Wise to transfer my US pension to my UK bank. My daughter established a Wise GBP account to easily pay bills while making her move after 34 years from California to England. As soon as she was back she opened a Chase.co.uk online bank account with no problems.

I also renewed my old UK licence very easily when I returned after 30 years, but my son and daughter had never held a licence so drove on their US licences until they could pass a UK test.
Old Sep 2nd 2023, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you ever held a full UK driving licence, you just need to apply to have it reissued. You can only do that after you become resident in the UK again, but your US (state) license will be valid for up to 12 months are you become resident in the UK.

If you haven't been paying voluntary NI contributions and ever paid NI (at least three years actual payments), you should seriously consider making voluntary contributions towards a UK state pension. Under current, temporary rules, you may be able to contribute as far back as 2006-07, so 17 years. As you need 35 years for a full pension, you should add up how many years you already have* (may include 2-3 deemed years while at school age 16-18), how many more years you expect after you return to the UK, and then seek to make that number up to 35 if possible. The investment return on NI contributions is extraordinarily good if you apply for and qualify for Class 2 contributions (most people do qualify).

* Ask the NI International Dept for your NI record.
There was an article in a newspaper a few days ago about a delay in updating payments for voluntary contributions.
Apparently, you are not issued with a receipt and the money just disappears somewhere - hopefully to reappear in your contributions record.
There appears to be no way to track these payments.

Voluntary NI contributions
It is worth Googling to get advice on making contributions.
Old Sep 3rd 2023, 7:29 am
Just Joined

La Crosse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I was In the US also for a lot of years, I opened a HSBC account it works great go on line its phone calls from them and some face to face on Zoom, I am in Kilburn right now and go into the HSBC branch here they are great. I got back July 27th staying with my sister while I look for a flat that is a bit hard as inventory is short, and prices are high. It took me a while to also do this, sold house, car and just shipped 11 boxes but I feel at home after all these years.Good luck to you.
Old Sep 3rd 2023, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside, an English friend living in France has just managed to open an HSBC “basic bank account”. With HSBC UK, not HSBC International.
No jiggery pokery was involved, ie she was truthful and gave her French address.

She hasn’t used the account yet but it will be interesting to see how well it works.