Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

20 something and moving back from Aus

20 something and moving back from Aus

Old Dec 8th 2018, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Spurs90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 20 something and moving back from Aus

British/Aus dual citizen moving back to the UK next year - grew up as a child in UK, spent entire adult life in Aus. Moving to London late next year, would appreciate advice on all the responsible things to do re: registering for residency status, health, tax etc. and any entitlements around study. Also any suggestions on a place to live in London that's (reasonably) safe, inexpensive, not too far a commute to Central or fun would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 20 something and moving back from Aus

There is no such thing as registering residency. Health, just register with a GP when you arrive. Tax, you will pay as per a normal British citizen. You will not be entitled to any asdistance with study and will be regarded as a international student. .
There is no such thing as inexpensive near London. It is one of the most expensive cities in the world.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
If you know your national insurance number, and your NHS number already thar wull help, to register fir the doctors just call into a good practice near to where you will be living and register at reception. Are you staying with friends/ family upon arrival? as this may help you to have a good look around first at the areas you can afford to live in. Do you have employment lined up? if you offer a bit more info in those areas you may get more help/advice. Education assistance, what is your age?, as it can be different from one person's experience to another's, (education is free up to 19 years of age from nursery to college here in the uk.... university in Scotland is different though to the rest of the UK) our two sons returned from Australia at 17 and 20 and one son went to college then university and our older son went to uni and neither were classed as interntional students. Good luck with your plans
Old Dec 9th 2018, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
There is no such thing as registering residency. Health, just register with a GP when you arrive. Tax, you will pay as per a normal British citizen. You will not be entitled to any asdistance with study and will be regarded as a international student. .
There is no such thing as inexpensive near London. It is one of the most expensive cities in the world.
Thanks stormy I'm aware of the cost of living in London.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

After 3 years in England you will be treated as a domestic student. Until then - international and if going to uni would be liable for very high tuition fees.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi,
If you know your national insurance number, and your NHS number already thar wull help, to register fir the doctors just call into a good practice near to where you will be living and register at reception. Are you staying with friends/ family upon arrival? as this may help you to have a good look around first at the areas you can afford to live in. Do you have employment lined up? if you offer a bit more info in those areas you may get more help/advice. Education assistance, what is your age?, as it can be different from one person's experience to another's, (education is free up to 19 years of age from nursery to college here in the uk.... university in Scotland is different though to the rest of the UK) our two sons returned from Australia at 17 and 20 and one son went to college then university and our older son went to uni and neither were classed as interntional students. Good luck with your plans
Thanks for help Brits1, no I don't know either but helpful to know and i'm sure accessed with reasonable ease.
I'll have a couple of Aussie friends moving over six months prior, i'm really asking for them - none of us have jobs lined up yet however one of them will still be doing contract work for an Australian firm which allows flexibility in choosing a location without being tied to a physical workplace - so really i'm just open to the experience and opinion of those that lived in and around London.
I don't have a job lined up yet however fully intend to secure something prior to the move. I'm in my mid twenties and ideally would love to work part time and study - I did a bit of research on Stormy's comment and although vague it seems that in order to be eligible for sponsored study you must be a UK resident for 3 uninterrupted years. Did your sons take out a study loan? Was this long ago?
Old Dec 9th 2018, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: 20 something and moving back from Aus

Originally Posted by scot47
After 3 years in England you will be treated as a domestic student. Until then - international and if going to uni would be liable for very high tuition fees.
Thanks Scot47, I've come across the same info - looks like it's going to have to wait then. Work and travel it is.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 12:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spurs90
Thanks Scot47, I've come across the same info - looks like it's going to have to wait then. Work and travel it is.
Three years is definitely the 'official' line. One or two BE members have reported that their children successfully enrolled in university as domestic students after being away from the UK for many years. It may be that some unis are more open to doing this than others, but I'm not sure how you'd check without contacting each one, explaining the situation and seeing what they say.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

And bear in mind that those who have been resident in SCOTLAND for 3 years are classified as domestic students at Scottish universities and pay no fees !