Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

20 Foot Container Australia to UK

20 Foot Container Australia to UK

Old Jul 23rd 2013, 7:18 am
Bean Counter

jocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the rough
Default 20 Foot Container Australia to UK

Any idea what one of these babies costs to ship? We have moved within Australia and could get our important gear into one. Just trying to get a "Bar Coaster" idea of whether it is worth bringing gear over or better just to sell the lot and re buy in the UK.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 20 Foot Container Australia to UK

Having had shippers in today to quote - you are looking at between $7500-$9500 depending on company and location. We are regional QLD heading to Southampton. Personally I don't think we could replace everything for £5-6k and certainly don't want to have to do that much shopping. Maybe it depends if you have decent/sentimental stuff and if you are happy with mismatched cast offs or IKEA. Me? keeping what I've got. People I know who came out here with suitcases only reckon it cost a fortune to replace everything. Like house insurance - you always underestimate values.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

One tip, watch for shipping times,

We thought our gear would take 10-12 weeks to arrive but it arrived in less than 4 weeks from our house in Caloundra to the depot in London !!
We had nowhere for it to go as hadn't planned on it arriving that quick

Crown relocations in case you want to know
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

We're being quoted 7-8 weeks for sole use by all so far. Most willing to delay sending by at least week or two. All will charge on arrival for storage
Old Jul 24th 2013, 7:52 am
Bean Counter

jocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the rough

Hi Safin
Thanks for your thoughts
On reflection I agree we would have no show of replacing our good stuff for £5-7K. Last time we went to England we were 25 year olds with no kids so travelled light.
What company are you using?
Old Jul 24th 2013, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Morley is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Chess removals to move from Brisbane - South East UK in November last year - 20ft full packing and unpacking service - It was $6,500 and was really quick, about 6 weeks. Recommended.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 12:38 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

We did a self pack 20 ft container and it was around $4500 and I handled customs clearance this end which was pretty straightforward, the girl I was dealing with here was great. Its a bit more hassle to do self pack but you save lots of money.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 5:21 am
Bean Counter

Cheers Chris - who did you use? Did the container come into London and did the price include delivery to your door in the UK?
Old Jul 25th 2013, 8:10 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I will try and find the name of the company for you but they were Brisbane based so probably not much good to you. Our container came into Southampton I think and we had to pay for delivery to a storage facility but even with that it worked out way cheaper than the alternative.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 6:46 am
Bean Counter

Has anyone sent a container out of Sydney to the UK? If so could you please advise who you used?