Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

2 years update - after 12 years in Australia

2 years update - after 12 years in Australia

Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold
Default 2 years update - after 12 years in Australia

Hi All,

Haven't been on the forum a long time, but last week was my 2 year anniversary of returning to the UK so thought I'd share my experiences maybe it'll help others faced with the same decision.

I lived 12 years in Australia (most of my adult life) so the practicalities of everyday life in the UK were harder than I thought, things I hadn't thought of like the pre-historic banking system, trying to get car insurance just not knowing how stuff worked so much here.

I definitely experienced some reverse culture shock, and also had people take the piss out of my accent which was a hybrid Scottish/NSW effort by the time I returned.

Climate, hmm well Scotland was worse than I remembered, no that's not grass is greener, as the 2 winters since I've been back have been the worst in living memory

Workwise there was not much around when I came back 2 years ago, but I did manage to get a decent job, though pay is less than in Aus - having said that the exchange rate is so poor GBP/AUD that is does distort things.

My family and friends have been absolutely fantastic and it's been wonderful getting to spend so much time with them just doing normal stuff and not having the emtional wrench of a horrible airport farewell loominig, oh I used to hate that when I came back for a visit.

Social life wise, there is more to do here,there are great bands playing and comedians on every week, and food has improved a lot, you can eat out and try loads of different things, not just curries like when I left. Holiday options are much wider, and also a lot cheaper to get to places than from Aus.

Another thing about holidays, because I can see friends and family regularly for weekends, my annual leave is my own, I don't have to haul arse back to Scotland in a 70 hour door to door round trip yikes it's worth moving back for that alone.

I think that if you come back and expect that things will be tough for a while and that there will be a period of adjustment, and that lifestyle is going to be different (not better, not worse, different) and roll with it a bit then it's so worthwhile, I have a new appreciation for my own country.

What can I say, I'm back in the UK and I love it, I'll never leave again (except for fabby holidays)
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years update - after 12 years in Australia

Great to read this, and thank you for sharing, going home myself in 6 weeks after 14 years in the USA....I have been home for visits every year though and so kind of know what i am going back to, but like you I have a wonderful loving family waiting for me. I am 59 so it is not going to be easy to get a job, but I will be trying very hard and i will do anything!
I hope you continue to enjoy your new life!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Charleygirl, I hope you have a wonderful experience returning, there are challenges, but there's no place like home
Old Jul 12th 2011, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by islandergirl
Hi All,

Haven't been on the forum a long time, but last week was my 2 year anniversary of returning to the UK so thought I'd share my experiences maybe it'll help others faced with the same decision.

I lived 12 years in Australia (most of my adult life) so the practicalities of everyday life in the UK were harder than I thought, things I hadn't thought of like the pre-historic banking system, trying to get car insurance just not knowing how stuff worked so much here.

I definitely experienced some reverse culture shock, and also had people take the piss out of my accent which was a hybrid Scottish/NSW effort by the time I returned.

Climate, hmm well Scotland was worse than I remembered, no that's not grass is greener, as the 2 winters since I've been back have been the worst in living memory

Workwise there was not much around when I came back 2 years ago, but I did manage to get a decent job, though pay is less than in Aus - having said that the exchange rate is so poor GBP/AUD that is does distort things.

My family and friends have been absolutely fantastic and it's been wonderful getting to spend so much time with them just doing normal stuff and not having the emtional wrench of a horrible airport farewell loominig, oh I used to hate that when I came back for a visit.

Social life wise, there is more to do here,there are great bands playing and comedians on every week, and food has improved a lot, you can eat out and try loads of different things, not just curries like when I left. Holiday options are much wider, and also a lot cheaper to get to places than from Aus.

Another thing about holidays, because I can see friends and family regularly for weekends, my annual leave is my own, I don't have to haul arse back to Scotland in a 70 hour door to door round trip yikes it's worth moving back for that alone.

I think that if you come back and expect that things will be tough for a while and that there will be a period of adjustment, and that lifestyle is going to be different (not better, not worse, different) and roll with it a bit then it's so worthwhile, I have a new appreciation for my own country.

What can I say, I'm back in the UK and I love it, I'll never leave again (except for fabby holidays)
Thank you for your feed back. i will be returning after 23 years in the usa.
Where did you move back to? How long did it take to get a job?
Thanks once again.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Glasgow, took a few months to get a job, but was taking my time to get something decent, plus had some time off when I first came back.

I had other offers but they were in the North East and I really didn't want to be that far away from F&F.

After 12 years you'd better believe there is plenty I miss about Aus, but overall I'm so glad to be home.

Good luck to all returning
Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandergirl
Hi All,

thanks Islandergirl, great insight. I am sure we will probably get a reverse culture shock too! Returning to UK after 10 yrs away, the last 6 yrs in Australia.

Cannot wait only 3&1/2 wks to go... Amazed at the things I have missed & so glad to be going home to family & friends, who have rallied around since we said we were going back. We have taken them all so much for granted & I too doubt I will ever leave once we get back (allowing for the adjustment!!)

Good luck with everything.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good Luck with your own return Sunshine111, I'm sure you will find a new appreciation for the place once you've been away and there's nothing better than being able to spend unrestricted time with your own people.

There's no better feeling than a holiday long weekend where you can spend time with your actual family, which you just can't do living in Aus (in fact most of you Australian mates will have made plans with their own families...).

Belonging is a seriously under-rated factor, one that people that haven't lived overseas and had our experiences just don't get!

Be prepared though, some people in the UK especially those with a Daily Mail mindset will ask you incredulously "Why did you come back HERE?" my answer is always "Oh have you LIVED in Australia? No? Well then"!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear that things are pottering along nicely! You are so right, nothing in this world is as good as "belonging"!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quoll
Good to hear that things are pottering along nicely! You are so right, nothing in this world is as good as "belonging"!
It's the best, you just can't buy it with a biggger house and car, or sunshine!

And I'm pleased that the food has improved a lot and you can now get a COLD beverage in a lot of places too, ice is no longer treated as a luxury item - at least not in the cities, hmmm.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:20 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

You sound on the same page as me about family & friends & things to do as being a good reason to be back in the UK, but out of interest, what things are you missing about Australia & how badly?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JustBecause
You sound on the same page as me about family & friends & things to do as being a good reason to be back in the UK, but out of interest, what things are you missing about Australia & how badly?
My friends mostly, I had a great bunch of friends over there, and some of the stuff we used to do, like going out for yum cha and then the gold class cinema, going to wine festivals and other outdoor events.

Sitting out in my garden of an evening and having a glass of wine, oh and my fruit trees, miss them, my garden in general not so much the big house.

I missed the food at first as well, as I love Thai, Vietnamese etc, you can get Thai here though if you look around, but I haven't had Vietnamese in 2 years, I can cook it myself at home but it's not the same

I struggled with catching public transport to work at first I was used to be able to be 10 minutes late and still catch my car! But I'm used to it now, and it gets me to work a lot quicker than driving through the traffic.

Some of the things I love I've been able to replicate, some not. But it's an ongoing process, and I'm finding different activities/things to do.

First few months back I really struggled with shopping the vast array of choice in UK supermarkets really confused me, and the huge choice of shops for everything else, I would just wander around aimlessly!

But I'm used to that now too!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

2 years and 4 months since returning to Scotland I can honestly say it was the best thing I've ever done. Met some Aussie and Scotttish expat friends who have visited me.
The Scot was sick that he had to return . He would not admit that to me but i could tell.
This is a very brief visit and i remember some of you fondly

Good luck
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

brummie61 is an unknown quantity at this point

All the best - at 49 I am also considering options - Job market - who knows?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kevin747
2 years and 4 months since returning to Scotland I can honestly say it was the best thing I've ever done. Met some Aussie and Scotttish expat friends who have visited me.
The Scot was sick that he had to return . He would not admit that to me but i could tell.
This is a very brief visit and i remember some of you fondly

Good luck
Kevin - good to here you still lurk occasionally - it was my second anniversary that prompted me to post, I remember you left not long before me, sounds like you are still loving it too
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brummie61
All the best - at 49 I am also considering options - Job market - who knows?
Thanks, well the market was pretty bad 2 years but it is starting to turn the corner now, good luck with your move.

I think you have to be in the country to get a job really, the jobs applied for wanted an interview pretty quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.