Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

2 months home and loving it!

Wikiposts

2 months home and loving it!

Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future
Default 2 months home and loving it!

After 2 months of being home I have never been happier or appreciated England so much!

Hubby and I went to OZ on a bit of a whim its wasn't a life long dream just an opportunity that came up last year and we thought, what the hell lets try it!!

After 9 months that I pretty much hated every minute of, we finally said enough is enough and came home. Its cost us a large wad of cash we had for a deposit to buy a house - but - it was worth every penny!

I can't say I regretted going to Oz as I feel I have learnt a lot from our trip;

1) me & hubby can pretty much survive anythig if we survived that - our relationship is so strong now!
2) You have to live life to appreciate it and the more you experience the better life is
3) I love england and my time away gave me a clearer view of my home and how much there is to love here!

So I just wanted to share my experience with everyone that in thinking about coming home. We now spend every weekend enjoying the country side and making the most of what england has to offer!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:06 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 months home and loving it!

Good for you. I feel pretty much the same, although we made the mistake of staying there 7yrs

The longer i am home the more i realise what an arse end of the planet Australia is. Dont much care if anyone agrees or not. For me it was the most boring, backward thinking, dullsville i could imagine.

Hope you go from strength to strength in years to come
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:17 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairemoir
After 2 months of being home I have never been happier or appreciated England so much!

Hubby and I went to OZ on a bit of a whim its wasn't a life long dream just an opportunity that came up last year and we thought, what the hell lets try it!!

After 9 months that I pretty much hated every minute of, we finally said enough is enough and came home. Its cost us a large wad of cash we had for a deposit to buy a house - but - it was worth every penny!

I can't say I regretted going to Oz as I feel I have learnt a lot from our trip;

1) me & hubby can pretty much survive anythig if we survived that - our relationship is so strong now!
2) You have to live life to appreciate it and the more you experience the better life is
3) I love england and my time away gave me a clearer view of my home and how much there is to love here!

So I just wanted to share my experience with everyone that in thinking about coming home. We now spend every weekend enjoying the country side and making the most of what england has to offer!
Great to hear. We were heading home this month but my husband had a minor health issue so we've delayed it to end of July. These last few weeks are dragging but really looking forward to coming home.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Mary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to all

I completely agree - one hell of an experience, but at least we know the grass isn't greener
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:50 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mary1967UK
I completely agree - one hell of an experience, but at least we know the grass isn't greener
Hello Mary, have you seen my mum on your travels? I'll PM you just to remind you. You're still at the hospital arent you?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

paulw99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good on you for giving it a shot. Most people prefer to stay within a few miles of where they were born.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I very much agree with point 3).
My time in Australia has definitely given me a clearer view of my home and all the great things there are which Oz just cannot match up to!
And I agree with Flea about it being Dullsville too
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

I see a few people had a "nightmare" time in aus!

Which must of been like a prisoner trapped,and now the sun is shinning in the uk(1st time for years so dont get too excited) it brings out the emotions of "i cant beleive i swapped aus life for this fantastic uk life".

Glad your enjoying your time in the english sun
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Good for you. I feel pretty much the same, although we made the mistake of staying there 7yrs

The longer i am home the more i realise what an arse end of the planet Australia is. Dont much care if anyone agrees or not. For me it was the most boring, backward thinking, dullsville i could imagine.

Flea, I think that reading the threads on mbttuk has been great for me in a lot of ways. I realised a lot of the pitfalls of life in Aus before arriving.
As you know, I love it here but reading this forum has been interesting because there are many folks who have been settled here for years but now want to return. I can't rule that out apparently
The real point of my post is to say to anyone who may look negatively about emigrating and then returning, don't, because from all I have read on here, you will look at the uk with new eyes and appreciate it for all it is. This is not a negative, exactly the opposite.
I think I am ultimately what you guys would term a godzoner, but I am past the point of arguing about pointless crap( remember the shit we debated Flea!) Good luck to you all.
I am off to Edinburgh in a week, and am really looking forward to it. I was never a UK basher and love the uk but for our personal situation, life is good for us here.
I will post a trip update when I get back and let you know how Scotland is doing. It will be positive, I can assure you!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future

I agree with the backwater, dullsville.... it just wasn't me!

I felt like I had gone from Devon ( where we live) to 1985 Yuppiesville!!!

I went on 457 visa in a job I have been successfully doing in Devon for 10 years and couldn't believe that as a woman I was expected to win business not based on my expertise and professionalism but on how short my skirt was and how much make up I had on!!

I think I am too English!!!! And trust me before I went I would never have said that!!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:57 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
I see a few people had a "nightmare" time in aus!

Which must of been like a prisoner trapped,and now the sun is shinning in the uk(1st time for years so dont get too excited) it brings out the emotions of "i cant beleive i swapped aus life for this fantastic uk life".

Glad your enjoying your time in the english sun
Dont tell fibs! I was back here last summer and the one before. Both times the sun did shine.
And let me tell you, the sun shining is WAY down the list of reasons I am happy to be back in the land of the living and 21st century.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:00 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by kporte
Flea, I think that reading the threads on mbttuk has been great for me in a lot of ways. I realised a lot of the pitfalls of life in Aus before arriving.
As you know, I love it here but reading this forum has been interesting because there are many folks who have been settled here for years but now want to return. I can't rule that out apparently
The real point of my post is to say to anyone who may look negatively about emigrating and then returning, don't, because from all I have read on here, you will look at the uk with new eyes and appreciate it for all it is. This is not a negative, exactly the opposite.
I think I am ultimately what you guys would term a godzoner, but I am past the point of arguing about pointless crap( remember the shit we debated Flea!) Good luck to you all.
I am off to Edinburgh in a week, and am really looking forward to it. I was never a UK basher and love the uk but for our personal situation, life is good for us here.
I will post a trip update when I get back and let you know how Scotland is doing. It will be positive, I can assure you!
No, you cant rule it out. Glad you are open to that

Yes, i remember our ready meal "debate" and i can confirm they are just as lovely as last year

Hope you have a great time in Edinburgh
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:02 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

No, you cant rule it out. Glad you are open to that

Yes, i remember our ready meal "debate" and i can confirm they are just as lovely as last year

Hope you have a great time in Edinburgh
I won't have any ready meals but will slot in fish and chips and if I am honest, a kebab after a drunken night out!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:08 am
I don't give a damn

I agree with the backwater, dullsville.... it just wasn't me!

I felt like I had gone from Devon ( where we live) to 1985 Yuppiesville!!!

I went on 457 visa in a job I have been successfully doing in Devon for 10 years and couldn't believe that as a woman I was expected to win business not based on my expertise and professionalism but on how short my skirt was and how much make up I had on!!

I think I am too English!!!! And trust me before I went I would never have said that!!
Oh please dont get me started on the mysogenist society

I cant tell you how nice it is to be able to have nice fun friendly chats with guys since i have been back. In Australia, unless you were considered "shaggable" you were invisible. Being a rather plain grandma excluded me for the most part
So different here. I revel in the joking and banter.

I happened to be at the local hospital last night as one of my grandchildren were sick. We took a break outside in the sunshine, which happened to be right under the maternity unit. Next to us were 4 guys having a smoke. A woman was obviously in the late stages of labour as every 2 minutes she let out a shrilling long scream. One of the guys looked at me and laughed "geeez that must hurt" ... so i replied "oh yes it does and i wish i didnt keep clenching my buttocks every time she screams" He fell about laughing, and when the baby finally let out a cry all the blokes stood up and gave her a round of applause I have so missed that kind of humour
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:09 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by kporte
I won't have any ready meals but will slot in fish and chips and if I am honest, a kebab after a drunken night out!
KEBAB!!! and you have the audacity to complain about ready meals!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.