Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

2 months back in UK - and......

2 months back in UK - and......

Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 months back in UK - and......

Originally Posted by Sherro
SO yeah, cant big it up enough...
and i know exactly how you feel
Old Aug 9th 2008, 7:18 am
Sossijchops

sossijchops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back to Blight soon ... after rabies jabs!! (dog)

[QUOTE=Sherro;6595469]I know how everyone loves to read up on stories from people who have moved back to get a feel for how others have handled the transition.

Great post, in fact lots of uplifting messages about returning. We head home to London in 6 months after 10 years in Oz. It's been a bit like a prison sentence - quite nice, open air sort of place, but I've never really liked it here because I've never felt welcome. I'm a 'Pom' and as such am denigrated, a third class citizen. In fact, I've written a book about our experience. 'Lucky Country My Arse: Memoirs of a Whingeing Pom' will resonate with many of you. Trying to find an agent so with luck published in '09! Any publishers reading?

Looking forward to all the things we all miss - recurring themes but family, green, safe pastures; warm tasty beer, good walks for the dog, good supermarkets but absolutely most of all - the people! The Aussies are the most parochial (read xenophobic) on the planet. Why do they dislike everyone else (particularly the English) so much? All a bit sad. It will be there undoing in the end!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

[quote=robert pickles;6661253]
I know how everyone loves to read up on stories from people who have moved back to get a feel for how others have handled the transition.

Great post, in fact lots of uplifting messages about returning. We head home to London in 6 months after 10 years in Oz. It's been a bit like a prison sentence - quite nice, open air sort of place, but I've never really liked it here because I've never felt welcome. I'm a 'Pom' and as such am denigrated, a third class citizen. In fact, I've written a book about our experience. 'Lucky Country My Arse: Memoirs of a Whingeing Pom' will resonate with many of you. Trying to find an agent so with luck published in '09! Any publishers reading?

Looking forward to all the things we all miss - recurring themes but family, green, safe pastures; warm tasty beer, good walks for the dog, good supermarkets but absolutely most of all - the people! The Aussies are the most parochial (read xenophobic) on the planet. Why do they dislike everyone else (particularly the English) so much? All a bit sad. It will be there undoing in the end!
Hi R.P.

I could have wrote that

I have been saying to my children for years I am going to write a book about my experiences in this country

( TITLE ) Trails and Tribulations of an Irish Immigrant

when you get your book published please let me know I will diffentely buy a copy I promise....
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 2 months back in UK - and......

I am glad some people have found some comfort/relevance to my post. It is all true and the more I am here the more excited I am and pleased to be back. Its so hard to explain but I knew all along that being a people person it was going to be paramount to my decision and I love british people, London a total explosion of the senses, so many different people and accents etc.

I live in Stroud Green and no I am not loaded, lol as am renting, hopefully not for long though. I work in Herts and its 45 minute drive, 20 to get out of london then through wheat fields and backlanes, thatched cottages, country pubs etc, just how I wanted it, hehe.

Britain like it or not IS more European now than ever and so you kind of feel part of Europe more than you used too, that planning a long weekend in Barcelona is no different to driving down to Devon, so my whole world has opened up in that respect.

SO yeah, cant big it up enough...
sounds wonderful !!!!!!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=robert pickles;6661253]
I know how everyone loves to read up on stories from people who have moved back to get a feel for how others have handled the transition.

Could I please add a few chapters!!!!! and just to add...what is it like trying to watch the Olympics without an Australian in an event......!!!!! and who comes 1st,2nd,3rd if an Australian comes in 4th you never find out.......good luck on your return to the U.K....we have been here 10 years (Aus)
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:40 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=brits1;6667334]
Originally Posted by robert pickles
Could I please add a few chapters!!!!! and just to add...what is it like trying to watch the Olympics without an Australian in an event......!!!!! and who comes 1st,2nd,3rd if an Australian comes in 4th you never find out.......good luck on your return to the U.K....we have been here 10 years (Aus)
Yes it is annoying. They only tend to televise events where an Aussie has a chance.

Don't think I will ever moan about the BBC or licence fee again after watching Channel 7's Olympics coverage!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=brits1;6667334]
Originally Posted by robert pickles
[QUOTE=Notts_bloke;6667349]
Originally Posted by brits1

Yes it is annoying. They only tend to televise events where an Aussie has a chance.

Don't think I will ever moan about the BBC or licence fee again after watching Channel 7's Olympics coverage!
HAHA, thats funny .. there's a thread in US forum on the Olympics coverage and how sickeningly nationalistic it is. One yanks not having any of it. Knowing the Aussies are getting as bad at the Americans and how sport obsessed the country is my first thought was I wonder what it's like in Aus.

Thanks! You've saved me asking