Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

15 away returning with child

15 away returning with child

Old Jan 17th 2016, 11:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 15 away returning with child

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If the OP only has until 20 March to leave Thailand then he needs to start the application process for his children's British passports immediately if he wants to have any chance of them accompanying him to the UK as the application process for children born in Thailand to a Thai mother and British father is likely to be lengthy.

That being said given that he has little money and no job awaiting him in the UK it will be a struggle to establish himself even if the three month wait for benefits is waived due to his deportation from Thailand.

It would far better, in my opinion, for the OP to return to the UK alone, find work in his chosen field of expertise and earn above £18,600 p.a. for six months to allow him to bring his Thai girlfriend to the UK on a fiancée visa allowing them to marry in the UK and then she can stay.
Agreed. Life's going to be difficult enough for the first few months trying to find work and a place to live without trying to care for a 5 year old at the same time.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 11:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
And, for the record, a drugs conviction does not necessarily bar someone from teaching in the UK.
As I said, I was guessing and apologising if I was wrong. There are reasons for my assumption, but I am not going to share those publicly as I may well be wrong.

I never said a drugs conviction would definitely bar someone from teaching, but trust me, I used to do those checks, and it MIGHT.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 12:03 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OP - do you not have friends or family that can help you out when you get home? Especially with your kiddie?
Old Jan 17th 2016, 12:11 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Well Pollyana was right about the drugs.

On the basis of what has been said about the difficulty in obtaining passports for the children, I don't see how the OP can bring his son with him initially. BiP's advice seems good.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 12:13 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Editha
Well Pollyana was right about the drugs.

On the basis of what has been said about the difficulty in obtaining passports for the children, I don't see how the OP can bring his son with him initially. BiP's advice seems good.
BIP is pretty solid on passport advice so I think the OP needs to consider his child may have to follow him.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 12:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It'll probably take several months to organise the children's passports so if the OP can be back in the UK during this time fulfilling the financial requirements as the sponsor for his girlfriend's fiancée visa then it could possibly dovetail quite nicely that the family will be altogether again in the UK by the summer to allow the eldest child to start school in September.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 12:47 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It'll probably take several months to organise the children's passports so if the OP can be back in the UK during this time fulfilling the financial requirements as the sponsor for his girlfriend's fiancée visa then it could possibly dovetail quite nicely that the family will be altogether again in the UK by the summer to allow the eldest child to start school in September.
Very true, mother and children could travel together
Old Jan 17th 2016, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

After 15 years absence I do not think it will be easy to slot into a job. I am sure that the field you worked in has changed a great deal I your absence. Employers may ask you to account for your time abroad.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyjames44
Why would i want to raise the hackles?
I dont really want to go back. I have to because of the deportation order. And if i dont do it before March 20th Im blacklisted for a year. And if i dont do it before September its a 3 year ban from returning. My eldest son whos 5 needs his dad every day. If i had to stay in uk for a year id want him to come to.
I just don't want to be stuck there on the streets.
Ive got an ok job here and a comfortable life. I just want to get back to normal. Do a year in uk working and come back.
It sounds like a huge upheaval for your son to come to the UK for a year, adapt to the UK education system, then go back to Thailand.

Long term where do you want to be - Thailand or England?
Old Jan 18th 2016, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

tonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud of

It seems whatever route i take i will have to do it alone for the time being. Im very interested in the SS method. Will any european country do? My father lives in France.
My time in Thailand is not unaccountable. Ive been working (with a permit) for some big schools here.
Si the main point now is how easy is it to become a worker again? Do i need to register or anything prior to getting a job?
Old Jan 18th 2016, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

tonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kins
It sounds like a huge upheaval for your son to come to the UK for a year, adapt to the UK education system, then go back to Thailand.

Long term where do you want to be - Thailand or England?
I agree. Better he stays here and just misses his dad.
Thailand is where i want to be, if i can.
Its really complicated, the worst thing is not knowing my status at immigration.
I thought i was lucky when the police let me go after the jail time instead of taking me to immigration for deportation, but now I dont know what will happen. Ideally i want to just go over the border by land to Laos and back again withh a new Thai visa in 2 days. Ideally. That's if there's nothing on the computer at immigration. A cheap easy option.
If there is something on the computer they're likely to send me back to Bkk to the International detention centre until someone pays my flight home and Im deported. The flight is 15,000 baht. the fine is 20,000. I have to do this before March 20th to avoid a 1 year ban also.
So really if i get sent back to the UK Im going to have almost zero funds.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 1:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyjames44
.... So the main point now is how easy is it to become a worker again? Do I need to register or anything prior to getting a job?
"Register"? With who? For what?

You're a British citizen who has previously lived and worked in the UK, right? So you have an NI number, right? So to work, you arrive in the UK and take up employment, that's it.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Ok. Simple then. Apart from no bank account. I bet that's a hassle.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 12:43 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

If your dad lives in France why don't you head there? Other people on the forum can advise you on the SS route from France, but as far as I can see, France's rules are that non-EU spouses can join their EU spouse. So, you'd need to get married before you left Thailand as well as start the process for getting your kids their passports.

Could your dad provide you with temporary accommodation?
Old Jan 18th 2016, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, easily. He lives in a big farmhouse. Im very interested in this SS route. But my dad lives right in the countryside. Can i start my own business from his home? How difficult will that be for me as opposed to going out to work? If i work it only has to be 20 hours a week right?
I have already booked my appointment to submit the documents to apply for the passports.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.