Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

140 GBp Per Week UK Pension

Wikiposts

140 GBp Per Week UK Pension

Old Mar 6th 2011, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 140 GBp Per Week UK Pension

Originally Posted by robin1234
Agreed, annuities are not the only option. Annuities have well-known strengths and weaknesses. As do other types of investment, so I don't think it is adequate to call other types of investment "better." For instance, a US 403b (tax-advantaged retirement savings) invested mostly in equity funds is a great retirement investment during one's retirement while the stock market is steadilly rising at an average rate of 8% per annum. Not a good investment, compared to an annuity, during an extended period of a falling stock market. An annuity is like a state pension, or a final salary pension from an employer; guaranteed income for life.
Yes, I suppose "better" is a very subjective word. I remember when I trained in the engineering industry in Leeds in the 1960s-1970s. In those days, there was very little movement of labour and people would contribute into the company pension scheme for up to 50 years. But, in those days, people would often die within 2 to 3 years of retiring, if they made it at all. The pension fund manager was regarded has having the best job in the company and the pension fund was awash with cash. I'll bet he did not have to worry about the gyrations of the stock market, the money was probably held mostly in deposit accounts.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MNandMN
I can't see that everyone could get £140 per week regardless of what they have paid in, otherwise people would just stop paying, where would the revenue come from for the pensions?. I am paying voluntary contributions to top up to get me to the 30 years I need to claim my full pension.
In another article, David Cameron claims that paying everyone a straight 140 a week will save on the enormous administration costs. This, apparently, is where the money is going to come from. And probably the proposed cutbacks on civil service pensions. All politics. By the time it is introduced, inflation will have kicked in and it may not be the good deal it seems to be at the moment. Plus the fact, it only brings us into line with most of Europe anyway.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
In another article, David Cameron claims that paying everyone a straight 140 a week will save on the enormous administration costs. .
Admin costs associated with means-testing applicants for the Pension Credit and Savings Credit, apparently.

But if we were all entitled to this 140 pounds, even if we live overseas, that would seem to suggest massive additional cost. So there is likely to be some sort of residency requirement to bring us into the income tax fold.

Something to think about as we approach pensionable age.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It's weird though because they are planning to means-test child benefit, so won't that eat up the savings?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Admin costs associated with means-testing applicants for the Pension Credit and Savings Credit, apparently.

But if we were all entitled to this 140 pounds, even if we live overseas, that would seem to suggest massive additional cost. So there is likely to be some sort of residency requirement to bring us into the income tax fold.

Something to think about as we approach pensionable age.
So where is the incentive to pay National Insurance at all if we will all get a pension? I am paying, because I can't see how they can give £140 per week to everyone whether they have paid in or not, when there is no incentive to pay a penny into it. I guess we wait and see, but surely there will be some criteria?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

So where is the incentive to pay National Insurance at all if we will all get a pension? I am paying, because I can't see how they can give £140 per week to everyone whether they have paid in or not, when there is no incentive to pay a penny into it. I guess we wait and see, but surely there will be some criteria?
It looks from that article as if there will be a new form of payment to be made.

Ex-pats are not going to be a huge consideration for any government.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:28 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
In another article, David Cameron claims that paying everyone a straight 140 a week will save on the enormous administration costs. This, apparently, is where the money is going to come from. And probably the proposed cutbacks on civil service pensions. All politics. By the time it is introduced, inflation will have kicked in and it may not be the good deal it seems to be at the moment. Plus the fact, it only brings us into line with most of Europe anyway.
But what about the huge savings the system is making right now, by raising the pension age for women from 60 to 65? I would have thought that alone would put the system on a sound footing for decades to come.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely there will be two parts:

1. The 140 pounds for all Uk residents
2. The full "reduced" pension for non-residents who are paid up - so we should still pay up under that scenario
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
But what about the huge savings the system is making right now, by raising the pension age for women from 60 to 65? I would have thought that alone would put the system on a sound footing for decades to come.
The system was not funded!

If the Government properly actuarily accounted for the future liabilities associated with State and Public pension liabilities it would have been bankrupt. Hence the necessary changes which create some stability for the outsiders view of the Uk economy and the value of Sterling so that they will consider buying issuances of future Uk government debt at a reasonable price.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
There are government workers who will get a substantial pay raise in the month or two before they retire just so that they get a huge retirement payment each month, .
Do you have any evidence of that or is it just the usual anti civil service "tea drinking, overpaid, underworked" tripe repeated so often?

Back in the early 70s I do remember my mum (who worked in a gov personnel dept) saying that certain staff would get a promotion just before retirement but today's civil service is a long way from that with its recruitment and promotion bans on for constant staff savings.

You can't just get a promotion willy nilly.

I'm sure there will be an old boy's network among MPs and/or senior civil servants creating positions to gain advantages but that's going to be a tiny minority.

The majority of civil servants are in the lower grades. That means lower salaries and since the pension is based on final salary, that naturally means a low pension.

Originally Posted by dunroving
The final salary scheme I am in gives only 1/80th for every year of contributions, in return for a 20% salary contribution (pre-tax of course).

I was out walking a few weeks ago with several retirees who all were on final salary public sector pensions. Their biggest moan about retirement was that they didn't know what to do with all the money they had. I had to bite my lip, I must admit.
Strange. That 1/80th business describes exactly my civil service pension. I think that counts as a final salary public sector pension.

Of course it's a bit of a myth about civil service pensions being non contributory. Pay rates were calculated and than adjusted downwards achieving an identical result to paying the pre-adjusted amount and then having an identical deduction.

But what's a little anti civil service bias eh?

Not that I'm bitter in any way.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:22 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go.
DWP
Most of the people who work in DWP are in administrative roles - as Administrative Assistants or Administrative Officers.
The salary range for an Administrative Assistant (national scale) is £12,590 - £14,270
The salary range for an Administrative Officer (national scale) is £14,270 - £17,600
(2008 rates but not so different now)

So assuming you work the maximum time you'd really be living it up on your absolute maximum £8,800.

The next grade up - junior managers - the max is £24,000. So if you can survive a full working life in DWP and get promoted to managerial level despite all the cuts and then survive the several years it takes to get the max, you might just come away with a £12k pension.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 6th 2011 at 8:31 am.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:29 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Do you have any evidence of that or is it just the usual anti civil service "tea drinking, overpaid, underworked" tripe repeated so often?

Back in the early 70s I do remember my mum (who worked in a gov personnel dept) saying that certain staff would get a promotion just before retirement but today's civil service is a long way from that with its recruitment and promotion bans on for constant staff savings.

You can't just get a promotion willy nilly.

I'm sure there will be an old boy's network among MPs and/or senior civil servants creating positions to gain advantages but that's going to be a tiny minority.

The majority of civil servants are in the lower grades. That means lower salaries and since the pension is based on final salary, that naturally means a low pension.

Strange. That 1/80th business describes exactly my civil service pension. I think that counts as a final salary public sector pension.

Of course it's a bit of a myth about civil service pensions being non contributory. Pay rates were calculated and than adjusted downwards achieving an identical result to paying the pre-adjusted amount and then having an identical deduction.

But what's a little anti civil service bias eh?

Not that I'm bitter in any way.
I am so not a tea partier they make me crazy.
But there have been quite a few reports of people retireing from local government here in CA lately that are doing exactly what I described. I didn't realize this was even going on in UK.
The only civil servant workers in UK I knew worked bloody hard for their money and didn't get a bogus pay rise or promotion right before retirement. I'd think to give a raise before retirement there would be more difficult isn't it all on pay scales therefore not negotiated?
Here they seem to do whatever they please. You only have to google Bell California scandal, if it wasn't for the recession no one would have caught this lot.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:37 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get this bit from the original article.

The Government plans to make all bosses and workers pay into a pension for the first time.
Isn't that what the Employer's NI is doing now? Or are they saying that they are going to make the self employed pay their way?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:04 am
Oscar nominated

But there have been quite a few reports of people retireing from local government here in CA lately that are doing exactly what I described. I didn't realize this was even going on in UK.
Ah, well in North America, maybe. That doesn't surprise me when the campaign manager of the winning provinical candidate strangely gets made CEO (or whatever title) of the Province's Liquor department.

The only civil servant workers in UK I knew worked bloody hard for their money and didn't get a bogus pay rise or promotion right before retirement. I'd think to give a raise before retirement there would be more difficult isn't it all on pay scales therefore not negotiated?
Exactly. I didn't realise you meant N America. Apologies for mini rant.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:31 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Here they seem to do whatever they please. You only have to google Bell California scandal, if it wasn't for the recession no one would have caught this lot.
My wife is in a state government pension scheme - New York State. It is not quite as simple as final salary, not sure of the exact details but I think it is based on the average of your "best three years" or something similar, I assume most state schemes are similar... that would be to avoid the kind of inequities you allude to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.