¿Where to move to?

Old Jun 3rd 2014, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ¿Where to move to?

Originally Posted by Editha
Hi. The situation you describe sounds like a real challenge.

Firstly, the areas of the UK that have jobs also tend to have higher rents. London and the South-East are the highest for housing costs. I recommended Manchester to someone else. I've read reports that it is booming, but rental prices there are not so high. Look at Rightmove for rentals.

Other forum members will recommend sites for house-share. But renting or house-sharing, you are going to find it more difficult with a child and a pet. If you are really desperate, you might have to re-home your dog.

But, your budget of 300 Euros looks very low for rental almost anywhere in the UK. Even in the Manchester area you will only find one room in a house share for that money, and they won't take a child or a dog.

For your first 3 months in the UK you won't be entitled to benefits. But after that time you could apply for housing benefit and council tax assistance, which would make housing much more affordable.
It is not impossible - far from it - to find a place that will take a pet. Many others have been successful in similar situations. Take your pet with you. I have two and they are both going with me. There is one site in particular that is devoted to rentals that take pets but I can't quite remember it and the link is in my computer which is in for repair at the moment.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I tried £300 (which is a bit more than 300 Euros) in Birmingham on Rightmove, that price point is putting you in a studio flat or a room in a shared house. If you really believe the UK will offer you more in your situation then maybe you can move and wait out the time until you get benefits. I wonder if your husband will be all right if he speaks no English though. That will be tough.

Sorry I can't offer any good ideas.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 7:40 am
Just Joined

fived is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank-you everyone for such helpful advice.

I have noted the recommended search areas.

I think I will have to start applying from abroad on specialized jobs that require language skills, to see if I can fill a void in the market.

It's going to be an ardous task not having a place of preference to stick to.

I have checked rightmove and indeed for jobs. I will probably need to make a table with the places you mentioned and compare averages of each place and number of job listings, etc....to find a good combination.

Hard work, but should be worth it.

I think, that staying where we are now is ok, but it won't put us in a better position for the future. Moving to the UK will require a great deal of sacrifice. But in the long term I feel it will probably benefit my daughter's education, my husband will learn a language and I might have a better pension in the future.

Spain is nicer to live in, if it weren't for the spaniards (who can be rude). But England is so much farther ahead.

I hate grim weather. It really affects my mood. Is there by any chance an area in UK that is know for particulartly good weather?

I'll let you know how it goes. And be back for more advice as we progress.

All the best to you all and thank-you for taking the time to contribute your thoughts and ideas.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

fived, apologies, I have only just picked up on your thread.
Language skills - UK immigration from the rest of Europe is very high indeed, and growing every year. Last year alone the total was 58,000 higher than a year earlier.
ALL local authorities and service providers have issues dealing with that. They are not renowned for their language skills.
Try the ten or twenty largest social landlords such as Amicus, London and Quadrant. Try the local councils. It is just possible that you could present yourself as a solution to a problem. At the same time, they are the gateway to social housing.

Also, in central and local government and under EU rules therefore by extension to those providing services FOR central and local government, equal opportunity MUST be provided to women and men of the same calibre applying for a position. To play safe, most service providers will therefore give a female applicant the edge.

And bear in mind that the UK economy is growing pretty strongly at the moment, creating huge numbers of new jobs. Your real problem I suspect, and as others are suggesting, will be finding somewhere t live.

Good luck!
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 9:59 am
Just Joined

fived is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent reply, thanks! Will look into that.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 10:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fived
I hate grim weather. It really affects my mood. Is there by any chance an area in UK that is know for particulartly good weather?
Anywhere in the South/South East, but of course then housing is going to be far pricier. I live in the Thames Valley, which is one of the drier parts of the UK, but I did have a quick look on Rightmove yesterday out of interest, and £300pcm would only get you a shared room in a house (in a not particularly nice area) in Reading.

You may need to balance up your wishes of a warmer/drier climate, versus the cost of accommodation and see which is more important to you as I'm just not sure you'll find both.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 12:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Norfolk and the East is generally the sunniest and driest. Relatively cheap too. Not the best transport links though and perhaps limited job opportunities?
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 1:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

How about avoiding rent altogether, see the link in my earlier post.

Another idea along the same lines, housesitting. As a married couple of mature years, I suspect you are well placed for housesitting opportunities. Look for agencies online; some are international, but some are specific to the UK. One is called Trusted Housesitters, I believe.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 2:19 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
It is not impossible - far from it - to find a place that will take a pet. Many others have been successful in similar situations. Take your pet with you. I have two and they are both going with me. There is one site in particular that is devoted to rentals that take pets but I can't quite remember it and the link is in my computer which is in for repair at the moment.
But it is going to be extremely difficult to find accommodation for two adults, a child and a dog for £300 a month anywhere in the UK. I'm just trying to be realistic about their options.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fived
Hi there, thanks in advance for sharing your views and comments on my thread.

I am an British citizen, but I have only resided in Egham, Surrey for a couple of years during my college years.

I have been to Brighton and to London a few times. So basically my knowledge of the Uk is limited.

I have some family in London and in Brighton, but we are not close.

I have mainly lived in Spain. Which is were we are now.

I am considering moving to the UK for a few reasons.

Spain has been hit hard by recession. Both my husband and I haven't had a job for 6 years.

I have a good CV, speak several languages and have worked at multinationals, but I have a feeling that being over 40 and having a small child puts me at a disadvantage. This is certain for Spain, but is it like that in the UK?

My husband on the other hand, doesn't speak English and is from the Dominican Republic. Though he has a college degree he doesn't expect to get qualified work.

Another reason for moving to the UK, apart from getting jobs, is for my daughter's sake. There are more opportunities for her future.

So where I really need help at the moment is deciding where to go.

We are looking for a location which has a combination of affordable rental with work opportunities for me and my husband.

I could go anywhere basically. England, Scotland, Ireland...we just want somewhere nice enough for our family, not too expensive and with good chances of getting jobs.

Any suggestions?

If and when we do go, would a good plan be to rent shared accomodation until we get jobs? Is this something that is done? We are three plus a dog...don't know we can afford to pay rent on a flat. We pay 300 euros now for a 4 bedroom apartment 40Km outside Madrid. That is our max budget until we get regular income.

Thanks again for any ideas that you might have.
Well if you're also considering Rep of Ireland? If you speak a 2nd language you'll walk into a job and if it's not Dublin, you can rent quite cheap.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Does your OH have an EU passport?
Newish regulations mean that if he doesn't have EU citizenship then you need to have a family income of £18k+ after 18 months - 2 years before he will be allowed to remain in the UK.
The daughter of a friend of mine is married to a US citizen and that regulation applied to them.
You can check out the visa requirements via google.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
How about avoiding rent altogether, see the link in my earlier post.

Another idea along the same lines, housesitting. As a married couple of mature years, I suspect you are well placed for housesitting opportunities. Look for agencies online; some are international, but some are specific to the UK. One is called Trusted Housesitters, I believe.
Not sure housesitting is feasible with a child and a dog. But the idea in your earlier post is a good one. Something with accommodation where you could be, say, gardener/driver/handyman/cook/Spanish language tutor/child minder. Or try holiday resorts where both of you could work and live.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

Don't just apply for advertised jobs. Look up translating companies and other companies, agencies, government departments etc likely to need translating services and send them a top notch CV. The best jobs aren't advertised.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 1:51 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi fived, you've had some fantastic suggestions already - good move to join BE!

Something else you might want to consider - contacting colleges and other places which offer Spanish language courses. You don't need a teaching qualification for every educational institution, and for obvious reasons you'd be fantastic teaching courses that concentrate on conversational Spanish.

Best of luck to you and your family

teehee - 'hi fived' :-)
Old Jun 4th 2014, 4:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Does your OH have an EU passport?
Newish regulations mean that if he doesn't have EU citizenship then you need to have a family income of £18k+ after 18 months - 2 years before he will be allowed to remain in the UK.
The daughter of a friend of mine is married to a US citizen and that regulation applied to them.
You can check out the visa requirements via google.
Lots of info and help in the BE forum here too http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=196. if he needs a visa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.