Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Yet Another New Airport

Yet Another New Airport

Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:17 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yet Another New Airport

According to the Gulf News website, they are going to build an international airport at Ajman costing AED12 billion...in addition to the new monstrosity being constructed at Jebel Ali...it seems like the Emirates are permanently in competition with each other...the money would be better spent on improved living conditions for the expat construction workers, new hospitals, schools and road improvements in my humble opinion...but perhaps I am too boring.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet Another New Airport

Originally Posted by lionheart
According to the Gulf News website, they are going to build an international airport at Ajman costing AED12 billion...in addition to the new monstrosity being constructed at Jebel Ali...it seems like the Emirates are permanently in competition with each other...the money would be better spent on improved living conditions for the expat construction workers, new hospitals, schools and road improvements in my humble opinion...but perhaps I am too boring.
you almost feel sorry for the suits at BAA who want to build LHR terminal 6... they're having problems with the pesky proles and their insistence on having their say in a democracy. So much easier in a feudal overlordship!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jvr20
you almost feel sorry for the suits at BAA who want to build LHR terminal 6... they're having problems with the pesky proles and their insistence on having their say in a democracy. So much easier in a feudal overlordship!
Wow...I didn't even know we had a LHR terminal 5 yet...so where are they being constructed?
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:24 am
Camel Spotting

Bubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud of

Wow...I didn't even know we had a LHR terminal 5 yet...so where are they being constructed?
Technically Terminal 5 is still under construction. Sits In front of terminal 4, closer to the M25. BAA are thinking ahead and asking permission to build terminal 6 AND a third runway, (Thats whats causing the grief with all the greenines and NIMBY's). Terminal 4 is a sh*thole IMHO and needs improvment drastically.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

well if Ajman wants to compete with Dubai for tourist and business trade they need their own airport. can you imagine having to get to Dubai airport from Ajman for an early morning flight?
Old Dec 18th 2007, 6:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
well if Ajman wants to compete with Dubai for tourist and business trade they need their own airport. can you imagine having to get to Dubai airport from Ajman for an early morning flight?
But Sharjah International Airport and R-A-K International Airport are just down the road.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

If I have to arrive on holiday through Sharjah Airport it would probably be the last time I came.
Its a glorified bus station!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 7:54 am
W10

The airport is going to cater mostly for Cargo and low cost carriers - so it is aiming more at regional tourism. And thus not entirely competing with Dubai.

Old Dec 18th 2007, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bubbauk
Technically Terminal 5 is still under construction. Sits In front of terminal 4, closer to the M25. BAA are thinking ahead and asking permission to build terminal 6 AND a third runway, (Thats whats causing the grief with all the greenines and NIMBY's). Terminal 4 is a sh*thole IMHO and needs improvment drastically.
Think BA are moving into T5 in April, apparently they need to do the complete move overnight, for an early morning start-up. I would sugest not booking any BA flight over that period.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
Think BA are moving into T5 in April, apparently they need to do the complete move overnight, for an early morning start-up. I would sugest not booking any BA flight over that period.
omg, can you imagine the total chaos...

MM, xx
Old Dec 18th 2007, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
its too funny though because everyone was still complaining and protesting over terminal 5... their re-assurance "don't worry this is the last one" then they announced T6....

at least they waited for T4 to be finished before starting on T5 lol... I'm just waiting for standsted to start doing flights to dubai i only live 15 minutes away!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 1:11 pm
W10

They're not going to - the Stansted expansion stuff was a smokescreen.

Why expand an airport that

1, no airlines really want to fly from
2, Isn't even operating at 70% capacity

Heathrow (but a modern one) is where all the airlines want to be and where the BAA can make most cash

Old Dec 20th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

I never really understood this obsession with Heathrow. Most of the British Isles is North of London (not that you would know it if you talk to the Cockneys) so Stansted is actually more convenient for most people. Because it is not operating at 150% capacity it is also a much nicer place to fly from/to. Yet everybody wants to go to Heathrow. Why?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:30 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Most of the British Isles is North of London (not that you would know it if you talk to the Cockneys)
Old Dec 21st 2007, 8:11 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
I never really understood this obsession with Heathrow. Most of the British Isles is North of London (not that you would know it if you talk to the Cockneys) so Stansted is actually more convenient for most people. Because it is not operating at 150% capacity it is also a much nicer place to fly from/to. Yet everybody wants to go to Heathrow. Why?
Try taking the cross-country train to Stansted and actually making your flight...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.