Yes/No????

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Riina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yes/No????

Hi guys,

I know you prob have had this question a million times over but as your advice is invaluable i present you with my case:

The salary I have been offered is 26,000 AED per month (including housing, utilities etc) and then a ''one-off'' 30,000 relocation and furnishing allowance, flights home + health insurance. I have to send at least 10,000 aed per month back home to the uk monthly to cover debts etc. This leaves me with 16,000 aed per month to live and survive on - How is 16,000 AED a month to live in Dubai for a single female (from UK) who does not drink?

I know this is not a huge amount but as the UK goes into recession i feel that international experience will benefit (although i have a well paid but very boring job in the UK).

I guess I am thinking from a self development perspective rather than to save money as i am better off financially in the UK (pay no rent).

My plan is to live on that salary for about a year in the hope that I will find something much better as I am a qualified ACA in London. Unfortunately the accountancy firms in the UAE are not known for their generous remuneration...

Any advice much appreciated!

xxx
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yes/No????

it's not great, frankly, but as a single girl you could live here on that...you'd be looking at a minimum rent of about 6/7,000 dhs, and that's for a room in a shared house, so the rest would be for living expenses...

MM, xx
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
it's not great, frankly, but as a single girl you could live here on that...you'd be looking at a minimum rent of about 6/7,000 dhs, and that's for a room in a shared house, so the rest would be for living expenses...

MM, xx

I guess I may have to curb my shopping habit for a while - find other ways to occupy my spare time as I won't have much money to play with!
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

someone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to all

i think you would be just about fine.

life is not very very expensive here.

as it said , try to have 6000 to 8000 rent and then i am sure you will be fine.

i am working and studying at private university , my salary is way to less than yours ..and here i am still a live!! ,(i mean here in al ain)
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

I just want to say thanks to everyone for their input - I am not an active member on this forum but everytime I have posed questions/asked for advice people have been so helpful!

I do however, follow quite a few of the threads on here and can see how valuable this is..

Thanks again xx
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

One more thing - I keep hearing that there are plenty of job opportunities for UK qualified ACA's. This is the only reason why I would take the current post - to work here for a year in the hope of finding something else and better. I am mixed race (half pakistani, half english) will this hinder me as I am not white?

How easy/hard is it to move between roles in Dubai or am i just better off in London?
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:41 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Riina
How easy/hard is it to move between roles in Dubai or am i just better off in London?
It's getting easier to move between roles, but it's still not the accepted everyday thing it is elsewhere - you have no automatic right to change jobs and you have to jump through hoops.

As for being better off in London, well, you're unlikely to gain any career kudos from having worked in Dubai, so it probably won't be a stepping-stone in that respect. But if you can save a bit more money than you could in the UK, it could be worthwhile as far as that goes.

Taking your UK debts and probable UAE accommodation costs into account, you'll have about £1300 left over each month for transport costs (a car is pretty much essential here), other living expenses and savings. If that compares well with what you're earning now, you could have your answer.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Simao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really nice

I don't think it is enough. You should as them for more. you accomodation alone will eat away so much of your salary. With that salary they should provide you with a housing themselves. I think with the prices of food, transportation, shopping and other stuff you won't be able to save money worth mentioning.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

Some people's expectations of expat salary over here are too high! This is not a hardship posting anymore. A lot of people choose to come out here and are paid the same as they are in the UK but tax free. That isn't a bad deal, and ok accomodation is expensive but it's the same as London.

I know everyone will jump down my throat.....but times are different in Dubai now. My view for what it's worth...and no that doesn't help you Riina but I hope you mak the decision that is right for you.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Simao
I don't think it is enough. You should as them for more. you accomodation alone will eat away so much of your salary. With that salary they should provide you with a housing themselves. I think with the prices of food, transportation, shopping and other stuff you won't be able to save money worth mentioning.

I know it's not very much and that is the highest they will go (accountancy firm's are tight!) . I realise it's very expensive to live out in Dubai and financially I won't be doing too great..I def earn more here as I don't pay any rent but was thinking it would be worth it to get some experience of living and working overseas...I'm sure that counts as something good on a CV when the UK economy is not doing so well and the UAE is doing v well (currently I don't have much work to do at all!)...my plans are to netork or at least try and then try and get another role in a year or so!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Taking your UK debts and probable UAE accommodation costs into account, you'll have about £1300 left over each month for transport costs (a car is pretty much essential here), other living expenses and savings. If that compares well with what you're earning now, you could have your answer.[/QUOTE]

I'm single, don't drink, not really into designer/flashy clothes so I'm sure that should be fine but that's providing i find accomodation for c.£890!!! Here's hoping!!

xx
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

Good luck with everything Riina, you seem like you really want to be out here!

Last edited by jrudofsky; Aug 5th 2008 at 12:35 pm. Reason: incomplete
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jrudofsky
Good luck with everything Riina, you seem like you really want to be out here!
Thanks for your post! I do want a change and now that it's raining and gloomy here in canary wharf this seems to make me want to make it work...i keep forgetting how much I dislike the winter here in London!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

highways is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Riina
Thanks for your post! I do want a change and now that it's raining and gloomy here in canary wharf this seems to make me want to make it work...i keep forgetting how much I dislike the winter here in London!
I also dislike the winter here in Birmingham and sometimes even the summer such as last summer when we had floods and continuous rain from May to July.

However, it has been great this summer (except for today )
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:27 pm
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
I think you missed the part where she said she does NOT drink!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.