Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Yes - another debt problem!

Yes - another debt problem!

Old Oct 25th 2010, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yes - another debt problem!

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I was triple-barrelled this morning, first by a Yemeni, then by a Philipino and then by a bloke in a dress. Drive a VW: mine was relatively unscathed, the Corolla that went into me is probably a write-off, the Yank camper thingy that went into the Corolla was pretty smashed, and the pick-up at the back of the queue was a right bloody mess. Felt all 3 impacts.
how is your neck?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 3:02 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
how is your neck?
OK thanks, but should've followed the Defensive Driving course I went on and made sure a) that I was controlling the cars behind by a combination of keeping my distance from the car in front whilst using my brake lights to alert the prats behind, and b) that I had an escape route just in case, as was the case, that the prat behind couldn't stop in time. Although PC Abdul-Plod (double-barrelled) seemed to accept that it wasn't my fault, in truth you should never be rear-ended: not only should you leave enough room in front so that you can stop before you hit anything, you should add to that a factor to ensure that you don't have to brake so hard that those behind you can stop too. Not as guilty as the mashed ones behind me, but partly guilty nonetheless.

Might be a bit stiff in the morning.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

snigger snigger
Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold

It's easy to change your name, just swear an oath at a solicitors and it's done. Then use that to obtain your passport. I've done it, and not for any scandalous reasons. My mother changed my name to my step dads when I was a kid and I changed it back to my Dad's when I went into the same industry.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

roadster1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, its the same in most european countries.

Have decided to stay away on balance I think.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rhrhrh
If you really want to clear the banks, then find and contact someone senior at the bank, preferably Emirati who hopefully will instruct the collection department to try and settle with you.
GL
Unfortunately the Collections staff in EmiratesNBD are a bunch of morons, this includes their senior staff. Don't blame the agents as they're simply following the bank's retarded policies. I think you should send an email to their CEO directly, explaining your problem and include copies of correspondence with their Collections staff.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:44 am
Just Joined

roadster1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I did that. I wrote to Doug Dowie - one of the most senior people in the bank. Being a brit, albeit emirati-ised, I thought I'd at least get a reply. Nothing. Nada.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roadster1
Yes, I did that. I wrote to Doug Dowie - one of the most senior people in the bank. Being a brit, albeit emirati-ised, I thought I'd at least get a reply. Nothing. Nada.
Not Doug Dowie...He is no longer with ENBD (since the past 4 years)!

Will send you a pm.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:16 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
yes, add Mother's maiden name
Interesting. I'm able to apply for dual nationality but never bothered - maybe I will with a different name to suit my international man of mystery jetting setting lifestyle...

N.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:09 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE
It's easy to change your name, just swear an oath at a solicitors and it's done. Then use that to obtain your passport. I've done it, and not for any scandalous reasons. My mother changed my name to my step dads when I was a kid and I changed it back to my Dad's when I went into the same industry.
are you famous?
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Write to John Eldredge or Kevin Flannery - both good guys who will take you seriously (give them the whole story), and forward your e-mail to someone who will actually help.

http://www.emiratesnbd.com/aboutEmir...anagementTeam/
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

dryroasted is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all;

You will all be sick and tired of hearing people post this sort of message I know, and I'm sorry I have to put you all through it again, but i'd appreciate your view on a situation I have.

In 2007 I lived in Dubai with my family. We'd been there for years and it was home. All settled; good school; great. I was CEO and in DIC licensing terms, General Manager, of a company owned by an offshore group.

To my horror, I woke up one morning to the realisation that the guy who owned the parent company had basically run out of cash, despite telling me that all was ok and promising that the next tranche of cash to support our expansion would be there any day etc etc.

Long story short, I had to close the business down quickly. No bounced cheques or any mess like that - I just had to shut the door as I couldnt do anything else.

Banking with Barclays would be simple as an individual I thought. How wrong can you be. I told my Premier Relationship Manager of my problem, and that all would be ok. We were committed to the Emirate and I was confident that I'd find something else. Anyway - I had cash to survive on for a while. That was all ok he said - thanks for keeping me in the loop etc etc.

I had just drawn down a rent loan and had a Barclaycard with a small balance. To my horror, when I went to use the ATM it swallowed my card. On enquiring with the bank I found that they had frozen my account, used all m money to pay a chunk of the rent loan back and left me high and dry. I challenged them and they explained that it was 'procedure'.

Confident that I would find another job, we started to use my Emirates Bank and First Gulf Bank cards to survive. Stupid in hindsight but I had a number of good job opp's on the go and was certain it would be ok.

Anyway, you guessed it, things did not come right. One day Emirates Bank simply said that they were going to bank my security cheque as I could not settle the full balance today. I tried to come to an agreement with them, but because I had no job they would bank the cheque. "You have no salary - how can you pay us a monthly amount - so we'll bank your security cheque instead." Insane.

So, bottom line was that I got me and my family the hell out, and we returned to our home country. My intention always was to secure employment, settle the debt and return. I then had a serious accident and found myself in hospital for 5 months. It never rains but.....

So, I now have a good job and want to start chipping away at the debt I left behind. Trouble is, the banks dont want to talk. I'm certain that they have all just opened cases and thats that - they will wait for the Police to get me and then they'll talk, but I want to hit it head on and deal with it.

The guy I mentioned earlier in my post is under trial at the moment. I gave evidence and have been pursued by some unsavoury characters ever since, so we've been thinking of changing our name. Actually, the Police advised that but it feels like running away.....

1. I want to pay the debt
2. I want to return to the UAE.

How should I check what the state of an cases against me are?

If we did change our name, would that mean I could get back into the country to at least drive things from within, even if its not me actually going to the banks etc?

Does a different name and passport get me around airport issues? If it did, I could at least get into the country and start sorting my issues out - it would be easier to manage if I were local.

Before anyone lambasts me for being a bad dude and bouncing a cheque - please note my difference: I'm actually trying to get back to pay my debts off.....

Keen for your thoughts all. Sorry to ramble. Thanks for reading.
Forget it and move on.....far too many pitfalls and I think you should use that energy to face things head on with accumulating wealth in the UK or elsewhere.

As with the passport, name change. Deed poll is linked to your original name, a UK passport is linked to interpol, your bank account, and a plethora of other services it really depends on how good the security is at the airports and I would imagine they are pretty damn good. Just think about all those times you were asked for your passport so you can be ID'd, your passport number is probably floating around in places you forgot about. If you have dual nationality go apply for it.

I would bite the bullet and forget about it and move on, actually I would be more concerned about the trial of your former boss and what the implications of any judgement will have on your own career. We all make mistakes and screw up even the most talented of us, and no one envisages being trapped in debt, remember its only money not peoples lives. So before you raise your banner and go back to the promised land, think of your wife telling your kids that daddy is banged up abroad because he ran into a little credit card trouble.....do yourself a favour dude and move on.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 6:02 am
home

Forsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by IndieG
Unfortunately the Collections staff in EmiratesNBD are a bunch of morons, this includes their senior staff.
Nah!!!! Just extremely arrogant and pompous (_o_)
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

with all due respect, and i understand you want to do the right thing, but you got to be frigging crazy to want to come back over here and try and sort out your debt issue - the sec you land at dxb you'll be banged up.

My cousin bro was living and working in AD for Alder...he got made redundant Jun09...he relocated back to the UK.

He had a car loan with Mashreq bank....he must have sent a zillion emails to mashreq trying to address the car loan issue....never got anywhere with it. (The car has been sat in my basement car park ever since).

Finally last week he was contacted from a UK debt collecting agency regarding the car loan.

I guess this means sooner or later the situation will come to your doorstep, but at least this way you are in a country where they cant bang you up for debts.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
with all due respect, and i understand you want to do the right thing, but you got to be frigging crazy to want to come back over here and try and sort out your debt issue - the sec you land at dxb you'll be banged up.

My cousin bro was living and working in AD for Alder...he got made redundant Jun09...he relocated back to the UK.

He had a car loan with Mashreq bank....he must have sent a zillion emails to mashreq trying to address the car loan issue....never got anywhere with it. (The car has been sat in my basement car park ever since).

Finally last week he was contacted from a UK debt collecting agency regarding the car loan.

I guess this means sooner or later the situation will come to your doorstep, but at least this way you are in a country where they cant bang you up for debts.
and they'll not get the money either , zero juristiction for a foreign unsecured personel debt.

They'll try it because the Banks are skint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.