British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Xmas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/xmas-267087/)

Fairydust Nov 17th 2004 4:16 pm

Xmas

Well after consulting calendar only 5 weeks on saturday until xmas day :scared:

Anybody else living in hope that M&S will get mince pies in stock before the day :rolleyes: They had xmas cakes in today if anybody interested - not many though so thought I'd pass on the info - nod nod ;) ;)

Truth Speak Nov 17th 2004 4:21 pm

Re: Xmas

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Well after consulting calendar only 5 weeks on saturday until xmas day

Anybody else living in hope that M&S will get mince pies in stock before the day They had xmas cakes in today if anybody interested - not many though so thought I'd pass on the info - nod nod

Mrs Speak makes her own cakes and is now making yummy mince pies with cream cheese...... she'll sell u some!! they're very alcoholic :)

Face81 Nov 17th 2004 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Well after consulting calendar only 5 weeks on saturday until xmas day :scared:

Anybody else living in hope that M&S will get mince pies in stock before the day :rolleyes: They had xmas cakes in today if anybody interested - not many though so thought I'd pass on the info - nod nod

well.... dunno if it'd be of any help, but I was down at Choitrams by Safa Park this PM.... they had their mince pies out..... I am certain that they are no where near as good as the ones that M&S will eventually stock up on, but there is no harm in buying urself a box to get u in the mood..... and plus i think they were quite cheap aswell. :cool:

Jammy_Dodgers Nov 17th 2004 4:45 pm

Considering im going to be over there all alone for xmas,
can anyone recommend a bar/pub that will be serving xmas dinner.?
Hopefully somewhere fun with a good atmosphere

Jellybean Nov 17th 2004 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Mrs Speak makes her own cakes and is now making yummy mince pies with cream cheese...... she'll sell u some!! they're very alcoholic :)

Is she taking orders for the mince pies????? Me want some :D

Truth Speak Nov 17th 2004 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers

just about every hotel in Dubai - Face should know more..

Jammy_Dodgers Nov 17th 2004 4:49 pm

Failing that ill have to settle for a turkey shwarma :scared:

Truth Speak Nov 17th 2004 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jellybean
Is she taking orders for the mince pies????? Me want some :D

I'll ask her - she's out on the town tonite - I get to look after the bambinos.

Jellybean Nov 17th 2004 4:54 pm

I'll ask her - she's out on the town tonite - I get to look after the bambinos.

Lucky you!!!! :D

Hey Dons back with gusto in the lounge....cause a stir :confused:

I am spending Xmas dinner at Nad Al Sheba Millenium Stadium with Santa and all....no dirty pots and pans for me LOL :D

novita77 Nov 17th 2004 4:55 pm

I am sure somebody will kind enough to invite you to join their xmas dinner. Mr and Ms.TS maybe??? or JB???

Fairydust Nov 17th 2004 4:58 pm

Oh no, don't want to be doing that :( We're going to country club this year but only because its child friendly (not really my cup of tea but drinks included with meal :D :beer: ) and anything to keep "fairy in training" happy!! Went to a hotel last year and it was really nice - santa arrived via dhow and distributed pressies and sweets - (Mina a Salam) but best with a group of people FD

Truth Speak Nov 17th 2004 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by novita77
I am sure somebody will kind enough to invite you to join their xmas dinner. Mr and Ms.TS maybe??? or JB???

I have nanna Speak coming for xmas - wot joy http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_105.gif so no dirty pots and pans for me with two women in the house - I may even find my way to a hostellery for a frosty beverage http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/13/13_4_1v.gif

Face81 Nov 17th 2004 5:20 pm

Well it seems as though some of my wisdom is finally rubbing off on u! hahaha

Dubai Park Hotel, Hilton Dubai Creek and The Le Meridien Mina Seyahi Beach Resort and Marina, The Royal Meridien and The Sheraton Hotel and Towers are some of the paces that traditionally have excellent Christmas Dinners.

But TS is right......literally every one of Dubai's 450+ hotels will have Christmas Dinner specials...... so take ur pick! :)

Face81 Nov 17th 2004 5:23 pm

I have nanna Speak coming for xmas - wot joy http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_105.gif so no dirty pots and pans for me with two women in the house - I may even find my way to a hostellery for a frosty beverage http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/13/13_4_1v.gif

I take it that wud b u on the floor gulping down all that alcohol? lol

Truth Speak Nov 17th 2004 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Face81
I take it that wud b u on the floor gulping down all that alcohol? lol

Yup, that's me.....i I get a day pass http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_104.gif

Face81 Nov 17th 2004 5:37 pm

Yup, that's me.....i I get a day pass http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_104.gif

why isnt ur av wearing any underpants? lololololololol....... on too many drinks, perhaps? hahahahahahahahttp://www.skyscrapercity.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Truth Speak Nov 17th 2004 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Face81
why isnt ur av wearing any underpants? lololololololol....... on too many drinks, perhaps? hahahahahahahahttp://www.skyscrapercity.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

rafter Nov 17th 2004 6:18 pm

Cyclone would be quite good at that time of year

Face81 Nov 17th 2004 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by rafter

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: that place shud be torn down..... me thinks all the medical waste from the american hostpital (which is about 50m from the entrance to the 'cyclone' has had an affect on the ppl that frequent that place..... i even once saw patients strolling in as they thought it was a park. hahahahaha....... steer clear of that place..... and what were u doing at that lowsy joint rafter?

Bob Nov 18th 2004 12:41 am

So what's it like out in the ME for x-mas? got the trees and all the other gubins that go with it?

Truth Speak Nov 18th 2004 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Bob
So what's it like out in the ME for x-mas? got the trees and all the other gubins that go with it?

We've got everything - with a slight MW twist!! although the missus has given anyone visiting the UK a shopping list for the past 2 months!! WOMEN

Truth Speak Nov 18th 2004 3:19 am

Originally Posted by rafter

What u mean the girls giving xmas specials!! "good" is subjective - depends on your needs :eek: Although i'm sure that the "girls" look good in santa suits and black stockings - Joe, wot dyu recon - should we take Face??

:)

kristy Nov 18th 2004 5:29 am

What u mean the girls giving xmas specials!! "good" is subjective - depends on your needs :eek: Although i'm sure that the "girls" look good in santa suits and black stockings - Joe, wot dyu recon - should we take Face??

Am I allowed to object to you taking Joe?! Jeez, you could at least wait until I leave the country!!!!

kristy Nov 18th 2004 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Bob

The shopping malls will go for all the decorations and stuff, but somehow it's just not the same, going Christmas shopping without ending up with a frostbitten nose!!!

Truth Speak Nov 18th 2004 9:19 am

Originally Posted by kristy
Am I allowed to object to you taking Joe?! Jeez, you could at least wait until I leave the country!!!!

Don't worry K - i've had second thoughts, although the bouncers aren't choosy they wouldn't let Joe in with a hairdo like that :rolleyes:

kristy Nov 18th 2004 9:56 am

Don't worry K - i've had second thoughts, although the bouncers aren't choosy they wouldn't let Joe in with a hairdo like that :rolleyes:

Ummmm, I'm not commenting, I'll be in enough trouble about the t-shirts!

Truth Speak Nov 18th 2004 10:02 am

Originally Posted by kristy
Ummmm, I'm not commenting, I'll be in enough trouble about the t-shirts!

Your answer speaks volumes :rolleyes:

Face81 Nov 19th 2004 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Bob

yep..... course we do........ we even fly in the trees from the UK! hahahaha

we import the fairy lights from china, mince pies from Europe, frozen turkeys from Brazil... so yeah.... we have a Worldly x-mas here in DXB. lol...... i wish i had money to burn like that. hahahahaha.... the privilages of living in a rich, ME nation. :D

Face81 Nov 19th 2004 8:56 am

Joe, wot dyu recon - should we take Face??

do I get a say in this.......... i' rather stick to that other joint..... this place has been known to have a errrrrrrrrrrr........ bad reputation for yonks and I intend to continue to stay well clear of that hole in the ground that is the Cyclone.

so when r we going? :rolleyes:

Heart of gold Nov 19th 2004 12:31 pm

[QUOTE]
[/QU:)OTE]

Mrs Speak makes her own cakes and is now making yummy mince pies with cream cheese...... she'll sell u some!! they're very alcoholic

Ahhhh another that makes mince pies with cream cheese, though I havent done so for a while, they just melt in the mouth particulary when they are fresh out of the oven!

Nowt like good old fashioned home baking!!! Have a recipe for chocolate mint roll as well .... thats festive:)

Truth Speak Nov 19th 2004 12:51 pm

[QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Heart of gold

Ahhhh another that makes mince pies with cream cheese, though I havent done so for a while, they just melt in the mouth particulary when they are fresh out of the oven!

Nowt like good old fashioned home baking!!! Have a recipe for chocolate mint roll as well .... thats festive:)

U have me dribbling already heart - I love chocky mint rolls!!

FAce - don't worry - we'll surprise u

TS

Jellybean Nov 19th 2004 1:08 pm

[QUOTE=Heart of gold]

Recipes pleeeese, I am bitten by the bug now...my cake smells divine :D Have karma will pay LOL

Heart of gold Nov 19th 2004 4:09 pm

Lucky you!!!!

Hey Dons back with gusto in the lounge....cause a stir :confused:

I am spending Xmas dinner at Nad Al Sheba Millenium Stadium with Santa and all....no dirty pots and pans for me LOL

What ever happened to the good fashioned way of Christmas .... Kids up first, coffee and cooked breakfast, whilst the the turkey cooks, open pressies, the house full of laughter and the smell of dinner cooking. Wash up, and sit down to relax with the family and enjoy the rest of the day .... At home! :D :D

Jellybean Nov 19th 2004 4:16 pm

What ever happened to the good fashioned way of Christmas .... Kids up first, coffee and cooked breakfast, whilst the the turkey cooks, open pressies, the house full of laughter and the smell of dinner cooking. Wash up, and sit down to relax with the family and enjoy the rest of the day .... At home! :D :D

Yeah I know, taking the lazy option this year.

Will still be up at the crack of dawn no doubt, screaming kids, cooked brekkie, although I prefer home cooked ham and scrambled eggs. Then pressie opening, eat out, afternoon walk with dogs, home, eat drink some more, feet up playing kiddies games or putting more toys together :eek:

Heart of gold Nov 19th 2004 4:30 pm

Yeah I know, taking the lazy option this year.

Will still be up at the crack of dawn no doubt, screaming kids, cooked brekkie, although I prefer home cooked ham and scrambled eggs. Then pressie opening, eat out, afternoon walk with dogs, home, eat drink some more, feet up playing kiddies games or putting more toys together :eek:

And all thats missing is the cold weather of Blighty!!! For the added touch. :D

Jellybean Nov 19th 2004 4:37 pm

1 Attachment(s)

And all thats missing is the cold weather of Blighty!!! For the added touch. :D

Dream on :)

Face81 Nov 19th 2004 4:43 pm

[QUOTE=Truth Speak]

U have me dribbling already heart - I love chocky mint rolls!!

FAce - don't worry - we'll surprise u

TS
mmmmmmmmm......... minty choc rolls. lurvely! lol

mmmmmmmm......... nothing like a glass of chilled Fruit Cocktail Tang to quench yer thirst....slurp! lol

DubaiExpat Dec 3rd 2004 11:24 am

Have just sorted out our Christmas plans, we will be going away for a little winter break for a week and then back to the UK for Christmas and New Year's. A dear friend of mine (bless her) is staying here and will help us with relocation as we are moving house!!

Truth Speak Dec 3rd 2004 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
Have just sorted out our Christmas plans, we will be going away for a little winter break for a week and then back to the UK for Christmas and New Year's. A dear friend of mine (bless her) is staying here and will help us with relocation as we are moving house!!

Wow, looks like you're gonna be busy over the festive season....good luck

Take it easy though

TS http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_6_1.gif

smartd Dec 3rd 2004 7:36 pm

Wow, looks like you're gonna be busy over the festive season....good luck

Take it easy though

TS http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_6_1.gif

Hey TS it shows your "Location: Dbx now Uk " where is Dbx ? shouldn't that be Dxb.

might wanna have santa know where you are ;)

Cheers,

D