Is it worth it?

Old Mar 19th 2012, 10:08 pm
hanging in there

Hellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to all
Default Is it worth it?

We are considering moving to Qatar (once job has been secured) and wanted to know if it is the economic dream that we have been lead to believe.
Is there a huge sacrific to personal freedom we are only planning on it being there short term. Or is the quality of life good. What are people's experiences moving over with toddlers would love to hear your feedback
Old Mar 20th 2012, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth it?

Originally Posted by Hellie73
We are considering moving to Qatar (once job has been secured) and wanted to know if it is the economic dream that we have been lead to believe.
Is there a huge sacrific to personal freedom we are only planning on it being there short term. Or is the quality of life good. What are people's experiences moving over with toddlers would love to hear your feedback
Get the best deal you possibly can including as many benefits as you can muster out of the company . The bigger the cushion the better quality of life you'll have.

You can live a decent life here but you need rewarding for it . There's no streets paved with gold here and in any case there's not many streets full stop .

Different things work for different people but if you're coming for cash and know what you want then you'll make a few bob.
Qatar can be difficult for first time expats , some think it's hell and some think they've found Utopia and are living the dream.

It's neither , it's just a typical Gulf city that is slow , boring and mundane . It can be as good or bad as you wish .

Good Luck
Old Mar 20th 2012, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

i hate to say it but Qatar is a sh*thole. Unless you are on a wopping decent package and don't mind having a complete change of lifestyle, then sure go for it.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

If you are only going short term then expect the Inland Revenue to be looking for their two-pennyworth.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Get the best deal you possibly can including as many benefits as you can muster out of the company . The bigger the cushion the better quality of life you'll have.

You can live a decent life here but you need rewarding for it . There's no streets paved with gold here and in any case there's not many streets full stop .

Different things work for different people but if you're coming for cash and know what you want then you'll make a few bob.
Qatar can be difficult for first time expats , some think it's hell and some think they've found Utopia and are living the dream.

It's neither , it's just a typical Gulf city that is slow , boring and mundane . It can be as good or bad as you wish .

Good Luck

Hi CDB, whats the typical expectation for a senior construction professional (PM) out there? I have a family with two young children so would like to make as much as possible to take back to the UK. Would be working for a large UK practice. Thanks.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 2:24 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBAH
Hi CDB, whats the typical expectation for a senior construction professional (PM) out there? I have a family with two young children so would like to make as much as possible to take back to the UK. Would be working for a large UK practice. Thanks.
I'd say QR35k/m min and QR55k/m max as an all-in package for a UK Senior Construction Professional, the top end if you are Chartered with say 20+ years of good experience, including some the the Middle East. Try to get out here and start working before 5th April, otherwise you'll need to continue working until after 6th April 2014 to avoid having to pay full UK income tax and NI on the whole lot.

Living is expensive here, a family villa QR12k/m, a 4x4 car QR6k/m and two kiddies at school QR10k/m. So best aim for the QR50k package. The business environment here is very tough and job security non-existent. You'll meet the worst types in the Construction Industry too, but you'll have no problems finding work. My experience anyway.

[J]
Old Mar 25th 2012, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
I'd say QR35k/m min and QR55k/m max as an all-in package for a UK Senior Construction Professional, the top end if you are Chartered with say 20+ years of good experience, including some the the Middle East. Try to get out here and start working before 5th April, otherwise you'll need to continue working until after 6th April 2014 to avoid having to pay full UK income tax and NI on the whole lot.

Living is expensive here, a family villa QR12k/m, a 4x4 car QR6k/m and two kiddies at school QR10k/m. So best aim for the QR50k package. The business environment here is very tough and job security non-existent. You'll meet the worst types in the Construction Industry too, but you'll have no problems finding work. My experience anyway.

[J]
Bang on
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Qatar is no place to raise children. It is doable if you come alone.
Old May 27th 2012, 9:48 am
Just Joined

laraliz89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, my partner and i may be moving to qatar, just wondering what your reasons are for saying that it is not a place to raise children? thanks
Old May 27th 2012, 9:58 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
i hate to say it but Qatar is a sh*thole. Unless you are on a wopping decent package and don't mind having a complete change of lifestyle, then sure go for it.
But you will have a complete change of lifestyle anywhere in the ME, not only here. If you look about there is plenty of things to do, some great places to eat & drink and most people here are friendly and not stuck up their arse......

There are far far worse places than Doha, It just costs money here. I don't know many places where you have to pay £100 for 2 of you to sit on the beach for the day, and the same again for a few drinks.....
Old May 27th 2012, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by laraliz89
Hi, my partner and i may be moving to qatar, just wondering what your reasons are for saying that it is not a place to raise children? thanks
Qatar is a family orientated place , if there's one group of expats that seem to be the happiest with their lives it's the people with young kids. A lot of my friends have kids and they're really happy with life here .

Doha is what you make it , don't get me wrong it has many many faults but if your package is good then you can live a decent life here.

It's not Dubai but then again it's not Kabul either .
Old May 27th 2012, 11:46 am
Just Joined

laraliz89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Qatar is a family orientated place , if there's one group of expats that seem to be the happiest with their lives it's the people with young kids. A lot of my friends have kids and they're really happy with life here .

Doha is what you make it , don't get me wrong it has many many faults but if your package is good then you can live a decent life here.

It's not Dubai but then again it's not Kabul either .

Well thats good to know, we dont have children coming with us but def good to know for the furture! thanks for the info
Old May 27th 2012, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by laraliz89
Well thats good to know, we dont have children coming with us but def good to know for the furture! thanks for the info
Do yourself a favour and but The Explorer book on Qatar , it's available in Smiths or Waterstones , it will tell you everything you need to know plus have a nose at www.timeoutdoha.com