Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Worried about Package - Advice Please

Worried about Package - Advice Please

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Lolapops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Worried about Package - Advice Please

On my experience in AD, costs are escalting all of the time so it would be prudent to try and get a better deal as you will envitably find that the costs are more than you thought when you get here.

Sounds like you're going with Dubai which from my limited experience of Qatar is the right way to go. There is very little going on in Qatar in terms of entertainment/ beaches etc.. so Dubai would be better in that respect.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

blitster19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies. It is definitely helping the process of finding what we want. He now has a second interview on Monday in the London office of the Qatar company so we shall see.....

Thanks Again
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

alexalexa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by C350AMG
My package is 70kAED per month and I am 33 years old working for Main Contractor as MEP Manager. Our Client's Development Managers are Earning more than that, the villas they are living in are more than 300,000 AED per year!

My 3bed appartment in city centre is 225000 AED per year and villas out of town are close to 400K mark... Property is biggest expenditure here. Fees for british school are 36000 AED for Primary and 46000AED per year for Secondary school. Food bills are same as in UK
Do the 70 K include housing, moving allowance etc?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

C350AMG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alexalexa
Do the 70 K include housing, moving allowance etc?
70k includes Housing allowance and education and flights etc but 45k was paid for decorating house or relocating and 2500 AED per adult for excess baggage and initial flights. We get allowance for flights back once a year and rather than end of service garuaty we get 10% gratuaty every year
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:59 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

70k includes Housing allowance and education and flights etc but 45k was paid for decorating house or relocating and 2500 AED per adult for excess baggage and initial flights. We get allowance for flights back once a year and rather than end of service garuaty we get 10% gratuaty every year

Gratuity - I would check that one, would you not get more if you went the legal route?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Gratuity - I would check that one, would you not get more if you went the legal route?
In our company all Western Expats are given same gratuaty. Plus bonus!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

In our company all Western Expats are given same gratuaty. Plus bonus!
yes all western expats are given it, what I am saying is that the legal route may well be more than 10% of your salary, you could be being ripped off?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

alexalexa is an unknown quantity at this point

yes all western expats are given it, what I am saying is that the legal route may well be more than 10% of your salary, you could be being ripped off?
What do you mean by gratuity to the package? My husband is a western expat and I don't think he is receiving anything like that....
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:50 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by alexalexa
What do you mean by gratuity to the package? My husband is a western expat and I don't think he is receiving anything like that....
you get it at the end of service, do a search it has been discussed on here before.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

happy man is an unknown quantity at this point

you get it at the end of service, do a search it has been discussed on here before.
As far as I remember, the end of service gratuity is the equivalent of a basic monthly salary for every year of service. This is about 8% of the annual basic salary and you take it only at the end of service.

In this case, the other option is much better since it's 10% and you take it now.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:52 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by happy man
As far as I remember, the end of service gratuity is the equivalent of a basic monthly salary for every year of service. This is about 8% of the annual basic salary and you take it only at the end of service.

In this case, the other option is much better since it's 10% and you take it now.
you get nothing the first year, 21 days of your salary for the first 5 years, then 31 up to ten years, then 45 days after that.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

nope some construction firms 'include' that in your salary
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

busybee2, are you sure about this? The end of service gratuity is written into the UAE Labour Law - so everyone should get it.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yeh i know its in labour law, but long time ago i had heard that certain construction companies included the gratuity in the 'monthly' package, but i am sure if this was challenged they wouldnt get away with it that situation may have changed now
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by busybee2
yeh i know its in labour law, but long time ago i had heard that certain construction companies included the gratuity in the 'monthly' package, but i am sure if this was challenged they wouldnt get away with it that situation may have changed now
Gratuaty suppose to be end of service, but to be honest I prefer 10% once a year, I use it to pay lump sums of my mortage off in UK, saves me interest payments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.