Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Working for myself in in Abu Dhabi?

Working for myself in in Abu Dhabi?

Old Jan 20th 2013, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

EJplus3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working for myself in in Abu Dhabi?

Hi everyone.
I'm new to Britishexpats and would like some advice if anyone can help me please?

I am moving to AD in March with my husband and children, my husband will be working and 3 children will be in school so eventually would like to work a little during school hours.
We are from the UK and i work as a Hairdresser here and it is a career i love so want to carry on whilst we're in AD.
Does anyone know if i would be able to work as a mobile hairdresser and if so what i would need to do as far as applying to be self employed?
Also would my certificates need to be shown?

Thanks x
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for myself in in Abu Dhabi?

Originally Posted by EJplus3
Hi everyone.
I'm new to Britishexpats and would like some advice if anyone can help me please?

I am moving to AD in March with my husband and children, my husband will be working and 3 children will be in school so eventually would like to work a little during school hours.
We are from the UK and i work as a Hairdresser here and it is a career i love so want to carry on whilst we're in AD.
Does anyone know if i would be able to work as a mobile hairdresser and if so what i would need to do as far as applying to be self employed?

Thanks x
Just do what most freelance hairdressers do..make contacts through coffee mornings/mothers groups etc and put the word out. you can then just go to them. You don't have to worry about anything else.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

Thanks x
really to work here you need to be sponsored and have a visa and really you should go and work in a proper shop and get the proper documentation etc, ie labour card etc. there is no self employed as in the uk.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Just do what most freelance hairdressers do..make contacts through coffee mornings/mothers groups etc and put the word out. you can then just go to them. You don't have to worry about anything else.
apart from the legality of it of course.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:52 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
I don't think hunting down freelance hairdressers making a few hundred dirhams here and there is a priority of CID.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
yeah,yeah whatever darling!!
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I don't think hunting down freelance hairdressers making a few hundred dirhams here and there is a priority of CID.
Quite!! All the freelance hairdressers I know just get on and do it. They do visa runs or pay a company to sponsor them.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Quite!! All the freelance hairdressers I know just get on and do it. They do visa runs or pay a company to sponsor them.
Shouldn't need to do visa runs or get additional company sponsorship - her husband (or his firm) will sponsor her as a dependant if he is working here. He ought to provide her with a "no objection certificate" (which can be a hand-written letter, I think). She might also need a labour card (again, if she is concerned about the legality of it) - I'm not sure about that. But I suspect that, as suggested, she just gets on with it using contacts she builds up when here.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by archie159
Shouldn't need to do visa runs or get additional company sponsorship - her husband (or his firm) will sponsor her as a dependant if he is working here. He ought to provide her with a "no objection certificate" (which can be a hand-written letter, I think). She might also need a labour card (again, if she is concerned about the legality of it) - I'm not sure about that. But I suspect that, as suggested, she just gets on with it using contacts she builds up when here.
she can get a no objection letter from hubs but she should have a labour card etc. some companies will not sponsor spouses most do some dont.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:03 am
Just Joined

EJplus3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanku everyone,
very helpful.

Was thinking of just gettin on with it and making contacts like you've suggested but really was concerned about this being legal. Think I would rather look into getting a Labour Card and what I need to do. I Don't really want the restrictions of salon work, unless they do a rent a chair system but sounds like they probably don't in UAE?
I will be a dependant on my husbands visa, he works for Rolls Royce. I will get him to speak to them about it.
Thanks again x

Last edited by EJplus3; Jan 21st 2013 at 7:08 am.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanku everyone,
very helpful.

Was thinking of just gettin on with it and making contacts like you've suggested but really was concerned about this being legal. Think I would rather look into getting a Labour Card and what I need to do. I Don't really want the restrictions of salon work, unless they do a rent a chair system but sounds like they probably don't in UAE?
I will be a dependant on my husbands visa, he works for Rolls Royce. I will get him to speak to them about it.
Thanks again x
Don't sweat it darling. You will be on your husbands sponsorship. Lots of wives work from home doing all sorts of things. Yoga/reiki/hairdressing/ making chutney etc. It isn't a big deal.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Duvel is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't sweat it darling. You will be on your husbands sponsorship. Lots of wives work from home doing all sorts of things. Yoga/reiki/hairdressing/ making chutney etc. It isn't a big deal.
On a slightly different line, is it possible to start a business in UAE and how easy is it on a husband sponsorship visa?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Duvel
On a slightly different line, is it possible to start a business in UAE and how easy is it on a husband sponsorship visa?
It depends on the business darling..you can set 1 up in a freezone, like RAK quite easily.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes thats right, but best to know what the rules are here, as they work slightly different from the rest of the world.