Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Working in ME and sending money home. Paid in Quids or Bucks?

Working in ME and sending money home. Paid in Quids or Bucks?

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:48 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working in ME and sending money home. Paid in Quids or Bucks?

(assuming I get the choice, that is).

Which would be better? I need to have a regular and stable amount of money going back to the UK for the bills and stuff. I won't be spending very much to live in Qatar.

In light of the current climate, would I be better getting paid in USD or GBP? Any opinions, expert or otherwise, would be most welcome.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:11 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Working in ME and sending money home. Paid in Quids or Bucks?

Originally Posted by littlejimmy

Which would be better? I need to have a regular and stable amount of money going back to the UK for the bills and stuff. I won't be spending very much to live in Qatar.

In light of the current climate, would I be better getting paid in USD or GBP? Any opinions, expert or otherwise, would be most welcome.
my bet is on the USD. (w/out getting into all the economic debates, there's too many other countries w/ a vested interest in the USD remaining 'healthy' and as such, other 'strong' currencies such as sterling and the euro won't stay 'as strong')

dim question, but isn't the qatari riyal pegged to the dollar?
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:24 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
my bet is on the USD. (w/out getting into all the economic debates, there's too many other countries w/ a vested interest in the USD remaining 'healthy' and as such, other 'strong' currencies such as sterling and the euro won't stay 'as strong')

dim question, but isn't the qatari riyal pegged to the dollar?
I think it is, much like the dirham
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:45 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

I think it is, much like the dirham
go with the USD... have a look at this...

http://www.reuters.com/article/wtMos...50M0T820090123
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:56 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I would say pounds, though the others make good points about the strength of the dolar.

Your bills are in pounds. It sounds like your expenses in Qatar will be minimal. If so, by getting paid in pounds, you will be able to budget much more easily. I presume you're thinking longer-term here.

Presumably you'd be paid in pounds or dollars at an amount set today, given the exchange rate. The pound may well fall further against the dollar, but if it reaches parity you'll have bigger things to worry about...
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:39 am
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

People I know working in Qatar are...surprisingly enough...paid in Qatari Riyals.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:28 am
Just Joined

nuppo is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Working in ME and sending money home. Paid in Quids or Bucks?

This question is almost impossible to answer. Sure for the moment, it seems like the USD shows more strength than then GBD or EUR but it might me momentarily only. The recent swings in the exchange rates have been huge.

Should the US be able to recover faster than Europe, then USD should remain stronger.

However, given that the Gulf countries (GCC) are supposed to adopt a common currency in the next few years. They might depeg more from the USD and a currency that would be pegged to a basket of currencies.

In other words, it is really tough to predict the strength of the local currencies in the future. Also because we have seen that UAE for example no longer blindly replicates the FED's (US) change in rates...
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:36 am
Excess Baggage

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think the important thing (as typical says) is that I need to keep the GBP amount stable because the majority of my outgoings will be in GBP. I probably won't get paid in QAR because it's working for a large multi-national firm, not a local one.