Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Working in Jeddah vs. working in Riyadh?

Working in Jeddah vs. working in Riyadh?

Old Jun 9th 2013, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Fateha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Jeddah vs. working in Riyadh?

Hello there,

As recently qualified TEFL teachers, my husband and I are looking to work in Riyadh or Jeddah. We've been offered jobs in either city with the same company, but just really unsure which city to choose...

We were wondering if anyone has any pros and cons of living/working in either city and what there is to see/do? I am 29 year old and my husband is going to be 30 later on in the year. We like going out and about and seeing different places. We're not that into shopping. We're aiming to be in Saudi for the start of the academic year in September.

We are aware of some of the culture, being Muslims, and have already visited the country previously so kind of know about shops shutting at prayer times, covering up, etc.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated! We are in two minds!

Many thanks in advance,
Fateha
Old Jun 9th 2013, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working in Jeddah vs. working in Riyadh?

Jeddah is more relaxed than Riyadh and by the sea. Riyadh has better weather (hotter but less humid). Neither place is that great for a family to live to be honest. If you come to Riyadh as a woman make sure you get the company to arrange a house on a decent compound. Obviously you can't drive here as a woman and in Riyadh you will be limited to indoor restaurants mostly (not sure if that's true in Jeddah).
Old Jun 9th 2013, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

It's a high probability that everyone in Riyadh offered a chance to work in Jeddah would jump at the chance. Unless you were more inclined to be in Dammam (or locality) to be closer to Bahrain.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
It's a high probability that everyone in Riyadh offered a chance to work in Jeddah would jump at the chance.
Really...why?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:09 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

It's a high probability that everyone in Riyadh offered a chance to work in Jeddah would jump at the chance. Unless you were more inclined to be in Dammam (or locality) to be closer to Bahrain.
Someone earlier made the point about the weather / humidity and that is a fair point . Even at 40+ degrees in Riyadh I don't find myself sweating that much walking out and about and it's bearable . With high humidity that wouldn't be the case . The winter in Riyadh is quite pleasant too . Guess it depends what kind of person you are and what you like doing also .
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Really...why?
Well, that's quite an unusual question. I don't know any westerner I work with that wouldn't jump at the chance of relocating to Jeddah, unless of course they prefer to be within easy travelling distance of Bahrain (or even Abu Dabi or Dubai) by moving to Dammam, Al Khobar or Jabail instead.

Edit: I find myself repeating myself. Maybe I'm stating the obvious and am confused by your response here. The choice between working in these two areas is not decided on the flip of a coin.

Last edited by Beakersful; Jun 10th 2013 at 6:39 am.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Jeddah is much more relaxed - and, for Muslims only an hour away from the Grand Mosque in Mecca.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's quite an unusual question. I don't know any westerner I work with that wouldn't jump at the chance of relocating to Jeddah, unless of course they prefer to be within easy travelling distance of Bahrain (or even Abu Dabi or Dubai) by moving to Dammam, Al Khobar or Jabail instead.

Edit: I find myself repeating myself. Maybe I'm stating the obvious and am confused by your response here. The choice between working in these two areas is not decided on the flip of a coin.
I cover both and Riyadh for me is a much better base. Embassies/DQ, nice compounds (expensive though), couple of decent golf courses, good number of expats - more than Jeddah, and clubs RGBB, RRR, Riyadh Wheelers, desert camps, white parties, Salwa, rugby club etc. Getting easier to move around the place too now airport tunnel and King Abdullah open.

OK it's missing the Red Sea (I was in a Red Sea Beach Club in Jordan 10km from border a few weeks back and that was very pleasant indeed) and Corniche and closeness to Mecca if that's your bag (as could be the OPs).

and it is closer to UAE so flying between the two easier.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

I cover both and Riyadh for me is a much better base. Embassies/DQ, nice compounds (expensive though), couple of decent golf courses, good number of expats - more than Jeddah, and clubs RGBB, RRR, Riyadh Wheelers, desert camps, white parties, Salwa, rugby club etc. Getting easier to move around the place too now airport tunnel and King Abdullah open.

OK it's missing the Red Sea (I was in a Red Sea Beach Club in Jordan 10km from border a few weeks back and that was very pleasant indeed) and Corniche and closeness to Mecca if that's your bag (as could be the OPs).

and it is closer to UAE so flying between the two easier.
Op and husband are TESOL instructors though. Their wages and housing allowance will keep them away from the high life. Where affordable activities are concerned, I don't rate here as compared to other offerings across the kingdom. Based on their religion, locality can also come in as a decider. Be here for the core of strictness, or go where it's more liberal, yet closer to Mecca/Medina.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:10 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Op and husband are TESOL instructors though. Their wages and housing allowance will keep them away from the high life. Where affordable activities are concerned, I don't rate here as compared to other offerings across the kingdom. Based on their religion, locality can also come in as a decider. Be here for the core of strictness, or go where it's more liberal, yet closer to Mecca/Medina.
what about the weather ?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

I agree for the OP but for most Western expats Riyadh is better imo.

My Sunni Lebo colleague rates Jeddah over Riyadh.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

I agree for the OP but for most Western expats Riyadh is better imo.

My Sunni Lebo colleague rates Jeddah over Riyadh.
Everything I've been told about lifestyle in Jeddah by my co-workers must be lies then. A lot of people lie out here, I guess this must be one of those occasions too.

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
what about the weather ?
You're making it sound like planning a foreign holiday now Well, it won't be cold, grey and raining often like up North. (Although technically it's not been like that for a few years now due to global warming, etc)
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Everything I've been told about lifestyle in Jeddah by my co-workers must be lies then. A lot of people lie out here, I guess this must be one of those occasions too.
Are they not just opinions?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 10:02 am

You're making it sound like planning a foreign holiday now Well, it won't be cold, grey and raining often like up North. (Although technically it's not been like that for a few years now due to global warming, etc)
Life is one long holiday.....
Old Jun 10th 2013, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Jeddah is very humid in summer but from October vto March is very pleasant. After the heavy rains that you get in winter, the streets will be flooded - s they are every year.

The Hejazis are much nicer to deal with than the Nejdis !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.