Working abroad

Old Mar 14th 2014, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

drm264131 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working abroad

Hi all this is my first post so thank you for looking.

I am due to start work in the Middle East at start of May. I am paid in my old job until then and then will be paid in my new Job.

My question is.
1. Do I have to pay NI and if so for how long. Do I pay NI for the first year or do I pay a voluntary amount.

2. How will the TAX work as I am leaving after the tax year start date.

I phoned for advice to HMGOV and they were not very helpful.

Advice please.
Regards.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 7:33 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working abroad

NI depends on where your company is based. Unfortunately for me mine is in UK but it didn't matter that my contract is out here and I'm paid out here I still had to pay NI for the first 52 weeks.
For tax you need to register as non-resident http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/residence.htm
Old Mar 16th 2014, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by drm264131 View Post
Hi all this is my first post so thank you for looking.

I am due to start work in the Middle East at start of May. I am paid in my old job until then and then will be paid in my new Job.

My question is.
1. Do I have to pay NI and if so for how long. Do I pay NI for the first year or do I pay a voluntary amount.

2. How will the TAX work as I am leaving after the tax year start date.

I phoned for advice to HMGOV and they were not very helpful.

Advice please.
Regards.
You will pay tax in the UK for the month of April.

Before you leave the UK at the end of April, fill in a P85 form and send it to HMRC.

HMRC will process your form and refund you the tax you have paid during April (on the assumption it is a "permanent" move outside the UK). Check this forum for specific answers on the same question re dates / split year concessions etc when leaving the UK.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

No need to say thanks......