Reload this Page >

Wills / Sharia Law / Spouse & Children

Wills / Sharia Law / Spouse & Children

Old Jan 1st 2014, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Vantort is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wills / Sharia Law / Spouse & Children

Hi,

Has anyone any experience of lawyers drawing up wills in the UAE so that you can avoid the potential consequences of sharia law - if the unthinkable happens to you or/and your spouse?

I've heard some scare stories about the consequences of not having a will - especially if you have children. e.g. If I should die, then our kids go into care until a male relative appears from the UK. This could be a good marketing ploy by lawyers (love 'em!).

It seems I need to get a lawyer to draw up a will in arabic (who knows what is says!). Any experience or recommendations of law firms to use?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. Not planning on popping off just yet!
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wills / Sharia Law / Spouse & Children

there is a lot of scare stories... if you have assets here then you should.... otherwise ....!
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:29 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vantort
Hi,

Has anyone any experience of lawyers drawing up wills in the UAE so that you can avoid the potential consequences of sharia law - if the unthinkable happens to you or/and your spouse?

I've heard some scare stories about the consequences of not having a will - especially if you have children. e.g. If I should die, then our kids go into care until a male relative appears from the UK. This could be a good marketing ploy by lawyers (love 'em!).

It seems I need to get a lawyer to draw up a will in arabic (who knows what is says!). Any experience or recommendations of law firms to use?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. Not planning on popping off just yet!

ONLY use a lawyer to get a will written, not someone who has been on a will writing course. This is an important issue that should be dealt with by a professional.

You only need to worry about having a will translated into Arabic if you own property or significant assets in the UAE. If you have children you should organise a proper Letter of Wishes for an interim guardian as it is likely that long term guardians will not be in the UAE.

Take a look at these articles for information and let me know if you have any questions.

http://financialuae.me/2012/07/03/sh...nd-your-money/

http://financialuae.me/2013/02/06/wh...t-have-a-will/
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Cynthia at http://www.trenchlaw.com/
She is a long-established fully-qualified lawyer in Dubai. A friend of mine used her to sort out a colleague's affairs (he had died without a will), and said she was brilliant. We subsequently used her to write our wills.