Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Will I enjoy life in Abu Dhabi?

Will I enjoy life in Abu Dhabi?

Old Sep 7th 2016, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will I enjoy life in Abu Dhabi?

I'm getting close to my move from London, and I'm having some doubts.

Will I like it in Abu Dhabi, or will I miss everything I love?

On the one hand, I am excited about a new adventure, meeting new people and seeing some new places.

What i love is:
- Old country pubs and a quiet pint, not uber modern trendy bars
- Sitting out in the garden in fresh air, not sweltering on a lounge
- Going to see new places, not hanging around a shopping mall
- Old stuff. Interesting Victorian and Georgian architecture
- Culture, walks in the hills, real ale festivals, visiting country houses
- Little windy streets with small cafes and bars

Maybe I'm too much of an old git (I'm late 30s) for Abu Dhabi?

Will I hate it? Are there places to go with real local culture - as opposed to just 5 star malls and hotels?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Will I enjoy life in Abu Dhabi?

You can get a drink in Abu Dhabi... but as for everything else in your bucketlist.. forget about it. Although I think you know that already and you just enjoy torturing yourself, so.. well.. if that's your bag... hell yeah, you're gonna love it.. just don't forget to stock up on euro piss at the duty free on the way in.

Last edited by Kakawax; Sep 7th 2016 at 5:38 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 5:49 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

What i love is:
There are some spit’n’sawdust bars (without the sawdust), a fair range of mid-range unprententious bars, some with good live music (if the International Playboys are still around), and some suave-but-not-full-of-knobheads-or-hipster places, but they’re all pretty-far removed from what you describe
Do-able in the evenings except in the summer (although more beach than garden)
It’s all a bit plastic
The sand’s quite old
Now you’re taking the piss
I don’t think there’s one windy road in AD; if you can swap shwarma restaurants and Lebanese cafes for real cafes (you won’t) you’ll be in seventh heaven; bars are in hotels, and range from squalid (but fun – just don’t touch the peanuts or make eye contact with certain of the clientele) thru’ Weatherspoon’s inspired tat thru’ places you definitely wouldn’t like to ultra-sophisticated (in a good way), but you won’t be wandering down a street, turn a corner and find somewhere with charm, urbane drinkers or a range of proper beer.

I’ve known many older gits who had a hoot there, me included.

Will I hate it? Are there places to go with real local culture - as opposed to just 5 star malls and hotels?
It was a pearl-diving village with a population of 4,000 60 years ago, so you’re not going to find much culture (others may well disagree). But its more than just bling. You’ll make of it what you’ll make of it. Plenty of people enjoy it, but remember its built on shifting sands.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

Old Sep 8th 2016, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman

On the one hand, I am excited about a new adventure, meeting new people and seeing some new places.

What i love is:

just do it, you can always go back home.

better to regret something you have done, than regret something that you have not done.... unless it's catching HIV I guess.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 9:24 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

What i love is:

If you want life in a foreign country over 3,500 miles away to be just like some sleepy town in the UK you will hate it. If however you are willing to open your mind, expect different things, make an effort and embrace it there is plenty to see and do outside of malls and hotels. It's all down to you and your attitude.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.

I am certainly willing to embrace the change. I'm not expecting it to be like home (obviously). I guess what reassures me is that there are "normal" people in Abu Dhabi too, not just bling loads-a-money showoffs.

I'll certainly enjoy the chance of going to some new places that I've always wanted to see: Muscat and the mountains of Oman, roadtrips to Al Ain and to the other Emirates, short flights to India and Sri Lanka, maybe even a holiday to Iran.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 10:05 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.

I am certainly willing to embrace the change. I'm not expecting it to be like home (obviously). I guess what reassures me is that there are "normal" people in Abu Dhabi too, not just bling loads-a-money showoffs.

I'll certainly enjoy the chance of going to some new places that I've always wanted to see: Muscat and the mountains of Oman, roadtrips to Al Ain and to the other Emirates, short flights to India and Sri Lanka, maybe even a holiday to Iran.
Good! There are plenty of "normal" people in the UAE (albeit that can be a relative term!) and you will find them in time. There are also plenty of fake and shallow wankers but avoid certain places and you can largely avoid them most of the time.

As a relatively new country you won't find many very old buildings but there are a few but there is a local culture and plenty of imported culture and no just in pots of yoghurt. Our countryside is not green and lush but dunes have their own beauty and there is wildlife too.

Just hang on to your sense of humour, appreciate the ridiculous things, get used to Inshallah, and you'll be fine.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The odds are good, but the goods are odd.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
The odds are good, but the goods are odd.
The goods are odd in 49'ers
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

For me AD is fun, in the run down appartments near hamdan str and electra rd, and the infamous dana hotel bars...thats quaint in an abu dhabi way....
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 11:22 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't be bothered to travel to Africa, just go to The Trap