Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Why is a mobile phone cheaper than a Sim Card?

Why is a mobile phone cheaper than a Sim Card?

Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

alfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nice
Default Re: Why is a mobile phone cheaper than a Sim Card?

Originally Posted by W10
Why wouldn't it work outside the US...you just need to get it unlocked.

errrm not sure but I thought I had read somewhere that the bandwidth used in the states was unique to North America and while most phones are multi bandwidth the I-phone is only made for the US bandwith... dunno mate, I will look into it... have you ever seen anyone with an i-phone outside the states???
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

alfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nice

yeah I am talking tosh, its a quad band phone that has been locked in exclusively to Cingular, so I guess you just need to get it unlocked, it shouldn't take long to work out how to do that,

Sorry for confusion
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:01 am
W10

Originally Posted by alfro
have you ever seen anyone with an i-phone outside the states???
It doesn't get released until June...so no

I just need to figure out how to get hold of a black market phone while I am in the US in June

Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by W10

I also didn't realize this, I foolishly assumed that having a big press conference with a load of pomp and ceremony launching a new product meant that it was going to be availabl the next day... having a product launch 5 or 6 months before the thing is available is a bit cheeky???
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:18 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

I just need to figure out how to get hold of a black market phone while I am in the US in June

I read a review on new LG phone (Prada one, but I guess you can get the unbranded one for half the price) that said it'll give iPhone a run for its money.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

Black market;thats the Bronx,in New York...
Old Apr 27th 2007, 1:06 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I read a review on new LG phone (Prada one, but I guess you can get the unbranded one for half the price) that said it'll give iPhone a run for its money.

Not seen them on sale anywhere yet though???????? Anyone???
Old Apr 27th 2007, 2:47 pm
W10

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Why? It's a standard phone isn't it? Isn't the prada one just a version of the ones that are already on the market?

Old Apr 27th 2007, 2:49 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Why? It's a standard phone isn't it? Isn't the prada one just a version of the ones that are already on the market?
Yes but it looks nice - not that I'm superficial or anything
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:40 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Not too sure - it has touch screen, reviewer said similar features to iPhone.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:10 pm
Its all good

Just done a search not available in UAE for 6 months - someone was selling one on souq.com and the last bid was 2300 and reserve not met !!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:14 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Just done a search not available in UAE for 6 months - someone was selling one on souq.com and the last bid was 2300 and reserve not met !!!!!!!!!
You need to get out more hon!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:14 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
Forget all that,mobile phone manufacturers must create a software or device that puts the hologram of the person in front of you,as if you are talking face-to-face...If they happen to annoy during the convo,you won't need to thrash the phone,you just punch and kick the person wherever you want and feel relieved....Serenity now...
Sounds like a good idea...will keep mine on speakerphone when the ex calls and hide behind the sofa!