Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Why does everyone hate Doha so much?

Why does everyone hate Doha so much?

Old Mar 29th 2014, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why does everyone hate Doha so much?

Originally Posted by joedolce
So there are no nice jobs or apartments anywhere in Doha?

My employer is British, and from speaking to people who already work there it seems like a good job. Certainly better than the equivalent role in the UK.

Who knows, maybe I'll hate Doha as much as you in 6 months time but all I can do is go with an open mind. The worse case scenario is that I save some money and move on elsewhere in 2 years.

I do not hate Doha, I just see it as it is.
And yes, there are a few good places to live. Most deteriorate in a very short amount of time. Due to different reasons.
Pretty much everybody is here for the money. And if the money is right, you overlook the other crap. That's it.
And even if your mind is as open as a gaping hole, it still does not change anything.

Talk to me in a few weeks......
Old Mar 29th 2014, 11:29 am
Just Joined

joedolce is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm hoping to sustain at least a couple of months of blissful ignorance
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:55 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
It's a dusty sh*t hole, with a bit of a "city", pathetic "malls", not much entertainment, and you can only leave if your boss is around and says you can.
That depends on the company. A large number of Ex Pats here have multi entry Visa's - No need for an Exit Visa or they work for a company where it gets issued imemdiately. No different to companies in the UAE keeping hold of employees passports??
Old Mar 30th 2014, 9:00 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Venezuelan007
I've been here less than 2 months. All I can say is, its not that bad.

Its a place were ppl is amazed by one of natures most bizarre fenomenons RAIN.

Me on the other side, im amazed by some other bizarre things, such as Landcruisers caravans to the desert, ppl paying 300000QR in cash for a toy, or suicidal drivers.

I havent experience summer yet. But Ive been told Im going to wish I was dead, I guess Ill have to be there.

Ive been to a few bars, and its quite depressing. Im just hoping Its just bad luck and others that i havent been yet are better.

I dont even know why u guys complain so much about it either. british passport here is almost royalty. Qataries... Then... U. Its not that easy for us non-european ones

Sure, its not the place were i would live the rest of my days... Still is not a hellhole I cant deal with for a couple of years. But what the hell do I know? Im from Venezuela
There are only 1 or 2 bars worth going into and only on certain nights. Where have you been out to? I buy the entertainer and at least twice a week the wife and I go out using the vouchers and always have a good night. Sign up to Uber cars so you get a nice S Class or Audi A6 to pick you up and you don't have to use karwa and it makes the night a whole lot better.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive been on belgian cafe intercon, the ambience was nice, however a chipchat cafe, no music whatsoever

And the other day went to radisson blu, thats the one really depresing, cant remember the name, but 99% male population, until... Well... Lets call it "night creatures go out and hunt"

I want to check admirals club, ive read there is live music there.

No rock places around, so i know i wont be happy anyways
Old Mar 30th 2014, 10:42 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

What the hell does Doha mean? could be a reason.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 11:00 am
Shark Fisherman

Ive been on belgian cafe intercon, the ambience was nice, however a chipchat cafe, no music whatsoever

And the other day went to radisson blu, thats the one really depresing, cant remember the name, but 99% male population, until... Well... Lets call it "night creatures go out and hunt"

I want to check admirals club, ive read there is live music there.

No rock places around, so i know i wont be happy anyways
Admirals is good, you can also sit outside. They have a British guy in the band there and its a good female/male mix. Belgium is awful - I hate the place way too smoky even for a smoker and 0 atmosphere. You would of gone to Sherezad in Radisson Blu, good to watch the football if you can't be arsed to go into west bay and champions. If you like a good mix try piano bar on sunday night in La Cigale, tuesday night in Crystal (W hotel) and thursday is always busy. Paloma is alright in Intercon instead of Belgium.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sherezad it is... Thanks for the tips. I had paloma also on the shortlist. W and Cigale i had discarded since im not the ultrafancy place kinda guy. But wth, its worth the shot

What ever happened to Hard Rock Cafe?
Old Mar 30th 2014, 12:29 pm
Shark Fisherman

What ever happened to Hard Rock Cafe?
It never happened here. If you want mixed clientele you have to head to the ponce bars unfortunately.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Capoeira123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thanks for the uber tip @britishexpat76.

Are you still in the car business? I'm actually thinking about getting myself some independence and playing dodgems with the rest of 'em...if you have some details I'd be happy to take a look. Sorry all this feels like a separate thread now!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:59 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Capoeira123
Well thanks for the uber tip @britishexpat76.

Are you still in the car business? I'm actually thinking about getting myself some independence and playing dodgems with the rest of 'em...if you have some details I'd be happy to take a look. Sorry all this feels like a separate thread now!
If you PM me I shall point you in the right direction, including what licences you need.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Doha is what you make it . It's not open or friendly or welcoming and the bedouin culture is paramount in everything here , that culture in itself is what makes Qatar what it is .

You make your own fun here , you'll have a 6-12 month period where it all seems great , the brunches , the beaches and high tea at the Four Seasons is all great but that wears a bit thin after a while when you start to see what this country is all about underneath the veneer .

Come here , make your money and enjoy whats here to enjoy and live well . Try and leave the shite at the door and surround yourself with good people as you'll be constantly dealing with incompetent , untrustworthy bad ones .

Qatar is easy for me as i see it for what it is , it's a vehicle to provide me with a future and im here for work . People are here for a set time , it's not home and you should never believe it is either . Ive been working overseas for over 20 years so i see a different perspective than those who have just arrived .

My advice for people who come or want to come is simple . Make sure it's for the correct reason and do your research on the place , company and location and check , check and double check your contracts and entitlements before signing up. Qatar is no holiday destination and without the leg work you will end up with shit on the blanket .
Old Apr 20th 2014, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 20th 2014, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
+ 1
Old Apr 20th 2014, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Good response CDB. Getting involved with the wrong employer is a nightmare. I know someone who's been in Doha over thirty years, but he's unusual, and probably gone native. Five years is good going.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.