Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Who has lost their jobs?

Who has lost their jobs?

Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:17 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Who has lost their jobs?

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
i cant do the meet up - im back in the uk, and getting a full nights sleep!!

Good luck to you all xxx
congratulations MrsH, all the best!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:24 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
im not knocking it, but does anyone actually know of any positions that are vacant?

I mean, you can sit around and spout off about all your numerous contacts, but if nobody is taking on anyone, its a bit of a waste of time, no?

In this current climate, do you think there are employers sitting around struggling because they have positions that they cannot fill?

I hope so, but seriously doubt it.

Good luck to all...

just seems to me like an excuse to get to gether and share hard luck stories.

just my opinion.

I see you point but this meeting isn't to find people jobs. It is try and offer some support to them, let them know that they are not alone in how they are feeling etc. If nothing comes of it so be it. Meow is coming along to offer financial advise and I think there maybe a lawyer there too who can give legal advice. It's all about support.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:41 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I see you point but this meeting isn't to find people jobs. It is try and offer some support to them, let them know that they are not alone in how they are feeling etc. If nothing comes of it so be it. Meow is coming along to offer financial advise and I think there maybe a lawyer there too who can give legal advice. It's all about support.
i dont understand the concept of support. The only help and support you all need is a new contract.

group hugs, cuddles and hard luck stories will not help...

Especially when there is a tick/tock towards visa cancellation date.

Sorry, you know its not personal but i just dont get it..

and before i get called arrogant etc, if i was (and may well be, who knows) in the same position my opinion is that sitting with a room full of similar unfortunates wouldnt 'support' me, it would bloody depress me, plus id be too busy trying to get a job.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:44 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

i dont understand the concept of support. The only help and support you all need is a new contract.

and before i get called arrogant etc, if i was (and may well be, who knows) in the same position my opinion is that sitting with a room full of similar unfortunates wouldnt 'support' me, it would bloody depress me, plus id be too busy trying to get a job.
you can't spend 12 hours a day in front a PC trying to get a job, it is soul destroying. When Atilla found out he had lost his job the one person who made me feel better about was a good friend who had been through it herself in the past. The feeling of devastation passes but trust me it aint easy. Especially the night before your rent is due!! thankfully we have sorted that out.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

would you go to AA if you were an alcoholic, would imagine its along the same idea?

Would I personally go, prob not, but each to their own and its being organized with good intentions
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

scarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of light

Easy Tiger, stroll on!

There are a lot of people who have lost their jobs in the UAE, and the promise of a wonderful future has suddenly disappeared.
The point is that when people get made redundant at home, there is always family and friends about to support you, but in an overseas location, wherever that may be, people are to all intents and purposes, on their own. Personally, I think what BC has arranged is a good idea for some, and if, by meeting with others who have lots of contacts primarily due to their time in a specific location, good comes out of a bad situation, then how can you knock it?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:57 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
would you go to AA if you were an alcoholic, would imagine its along the same idea?

Would I personally go, prob not, but each to their own and its being organized with good intentions

i know it is good with intentions and im not meaning to berate it, its my views and i am entitled to air them surely.

If it benefits people then great but im the same, id go into a 'support' meeting without a job and come out without the will to live..

still each to their own indeed
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:57 am
banned

Originally Posted by scarletfanagain
Easy Tiger, stroll on!

There are a lot of people who have lost their jobs in the UAE, and the promise of a wonderful future has suddenly disappeared.
The point is that when people get made redundant at home, there is always family and friends about to support you, but in an overseas location, wherever that may be, people are to all intents and purposes, on their own. Personally, I think what BC has arranged is a good idea for some, and if, by meeting with others who have lots of contacts primarily due to their time in a specific location, good comes out of a bad situation, then how can you knock it?
im saying its not for me, is that ok with you?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:59 am
Concierge

i know it is good with intentions and im not meaning to berate it, its my views and i am entitled to air them surely.

If it benefits people then great but im the same, id go into a 'support' meeting without a job and come out without the will to live..

still each to their own indeed
not if you happened to meet a guy there who knew of a fantastic oil and gas job that was available and he just happened to know the HR Director we went for dinner the other night at a girlfriend's house. Turns out that her husband had heard of a very suitable job that was available for Atilla. Did we go to get a job out of them? course not !! - there was free chilli on offer

each to their own Commander and you know I am not offended in anyway.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:06 am
banned

not if you happened to meet a guy there who knew of a fantastic oil and gas job that was available and he just happened to know the HR Director we went for dinner the other night at a girlfriend's house. Turns out that her husband had heard of a very suitable job that was available for Atilla. Did we go to get a job out of them? course not !! - there was free chilli on offer

each to their own Commander and you know I am not offended in anyway.
fair enough, like i said if it produces a result i.e a job then great...and good luck, you know i wish all of you well.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:16 am
Concierge

fair enough, like i said if it produces a result i.e a job then great...and good luck, you know i wish all of you well.
if no one turns up tomorrow well that is great, no one needs any help, support or advice. That will be a good thing. It is a couple of hours out of my day, no big deal.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:22 am
banned

if no one turns up tomorrow well that is great, no one needs any help, support or advice. That will be a good thing. It is a couple of hours out of my day, no big deal.
but who is giving out advice on being made redundant..are you in a position to advise people?

Surely this is a pretty new situation for you also?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:25 am
banned

i guess i am trying to say, you have your own problems, for once think of yourself and not about helping others..
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:03 pm
Concierge

but who is giving out advice on being made redundant..are you in a position to advise people?

Surely this is a pretty new situation for you also?
I must be judging by the amount of e mail I am receiving, I am managing to answer the majority of the questions that are being asked.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:04 pm
Concierge

i guess i am trying to say, you have your own problems, for once think of yourself and not about helping others..
I can't sit on my arse and do nothing, it just isn't me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.