Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where should we live if my husband is working in Sharjah & I want to be near Dubai

Where should we live if my husband is working in Sharjah & I want to be near Dubai

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Doha Lolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where should we live if my husband is working in Sharjah & I want to be near Dubai

Hi,

I am a city type but dont mind living somewhere quiet as long as I do not have too long to travel for potential work locations or good shopping malls.

Any advice on a good location to live for commuting to Sharjah & Dubai central areas?

Thanks in appreciation of responses!

Lolly
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:22 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we live if my husband is working in Sharjah & I want to be near Duba

commuting to sharjah is not a good idea traffic is a complete nightmare and your husband is likely to spend a long time behind the wheel each day. A central location between Sharjah and Dubai - well thats pretty difficult really. Don't know if you've got kids or not but you also need to be close to school if this is the case - difficult one - maybe someone else can help more
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Doha Lolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where should we live if my husband is working in Sharjah & I want to be near Duba

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I do not have children which doesn't limit us to living near schools.

I heard from a friend here in Doha that Mirdiff is ok as there was back road to Sharjah. Could anyone elborate for me on Mirdiff & Deira?

Lolly
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Doha Lolly

I heard from a friend here in Doha that Mirdiff is ok as there was back road to Sharjah. Could anyone elborate for me on Mirdiff & Deira?

Lolly

Lolly,
If you're going to live in Dubai and work in Sharjah, you won't have a problem with the travel, since you will be moving against the traffic. Traffic is a nightmare when travelling from Shj to Dubai.

I think Mata Hari lives in Mirdiff - she will be able to give you a better idea.

Festival city is a nice and upcoming area.

Ta
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:01 am
W10

The problem is that traffic is a nightmare once you hit sharjah too. Although the opening of the King Faisal interchange may help things.

If you're a city type, then why would you want to live in Mirdiff? Why not live in Sharjah?

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
The problem is that traffic is a nightmare once you hit sharjah too.
Oops, hadn't thought of that, yes, I hear traffic in Shj is as bad as it is in Dubai, roads are also narrower. But then if he is working in Sharjah, no choice I suppose?
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 9:44 am
Banned

GrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud of

Hi,

I am a city type but dont mind living somewhere quiet as long as I do not have too long to travel for potential work locations or good shopping malls.

Any advice on a good location to live for commuting to Sharjah & Dubai central areas?

Lolly
Ajman. The closest thing to Miami beach in the UAE. Go check it out.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrecoRomano
Ajman. The closest thing to Miami beach in the UAE. Go check it out.
Greco are you on drugs????
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Crash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to behold

Greco,
I saw this advert in Gulf News

Villa in Ajman, Al Zahra Area, near Emarat Rd.,3 B/R, with sitting room, hall & big garden. Dhs 75K. 050-7764152 (Nasser).

Would this be close to the beach?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:31 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crash
Greco,

Villa in Ajman, Al Zahra Area, near Emarat Rd.,3 B/R, with sitting room, hall & big garden. Dhs 75K. 050-7764152 (Nasser).

possibly but I think Emaar have got their hands on the Ajman coastline as well.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:54 am
Banned

GrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Crash
Greco,

Believe, Ajman is so small that EVERYTHING is 5 minutes drive to the beach! If you're lucky enough, it will be ON the beach itself, for Ajman it's not such a big deal

Never done drugs, no need.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

hi, i used to work in Port Khalid in the Al Khan area of Sharjah and lived in Mirdif.

No problems at all with trafic to be honest. Forget any back roads, take the sharjah bypass and onto the emirates road.

You are going against the trafic all the way.

0700 Mirdif to Port Khalid, 20 mins
1700 vice versa, 30 mins max
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:17 am
Just Joined

velvetrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Lolly
hey Lolly,

Ben in Dubai all me life. I'd say the best place to live considering your hubby would be in working in Shj, is Deira or Hor Al Anz. This is closer to Dubai and Shj. Deira on the whole is busy and bustling with activity but hor al anz is most quieter and I'd say its alot more residential than Deira on the whole. Plus, from here you'll have easy access to malls like Deira City Centre, Al Ghurair City etc.

Coz Shj is north of UAE. The cities follow in this order: Sharjah(Shj), Ghusais, Hor Al Anz, Deira, Bur Dubai, Karama, Satwa, Safa, Al Quoz....Jebel Ali, Abu Dhabi etc.

Hope this helps girl. Good luck!

Best,
Sam

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

Lolly
I live in Mirdiff and it is a nice place, roads are up all over the place but won't be for ever even though it might feel that way. It is a bit suburb but close to Deira and easy to get to and now that festival city is up and running and the new interchange it has cut the traffic by more than half.

Think also most of the traffic in the am is going from SHJ to DXB and vice versa in the pm so your husband will be going the opposite way to the majority of the traffic. But one thing you can count on is that there is traffic everywhere all the time!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:31 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Mirdif as well....very happy here. Planes don't bother me, never have. I like the mix of old and new villa's, compounds etc...it makes for a diversity of people living here. The new Uptown shops are good especially at this time of the year...it's so nice to have a place to go and sit outside to have a coffee nearby.
Easy access to Festival City, the new brigde and Deira City Centre, easy access to the 311 and the 44 roads...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.