Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to cash an HSBC cheque in Dubai?

Where to cash an HSBC cheque in Dubai?

Old Feb 1st 2013, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold
Default Where to cash an HSBC cheque in Dubai?

Hey

Still don't have a bank account yet. Work gave me my salary in the form of an HSBC cheque. I'm aware that the little branches in some of the malls don't have cash on site so they don't cash cheques especially for large sums. I recall meeting someone randomly recently who said they had to drive out to Deira to cash in their HSBC cheques but I don't remember the details of this conversation.

Anyone know where an HSBC cheque can be cashed? Is it only the branch down in Deira/Bur Dubai?

Thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 1:27 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to cash an HSBC cheque in Dubai?

Don't know where you work, but there is an HSBC bank with all the bells and whistles at Jebel Ali, by Gate 1 of the FZE or in Media City if you are around there.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

Go to the main HSBC in Bur Dubai. near to Rulers Court and Ambassador Hotel on the creek.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 1:20 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The merger of HSBC and Lloyds local banking is currently taking place and you should be able to cash a HSBC cheque in the old Lloyds Bank branch on Al Wasl Road, by Safa Park. Even if hasn't been fully rebranded the merger will be finalised by 15th February and back office systems are being run by HSBC.

Much easier than schlepping all the way to Bur Dubai or even Jebel Ali. You can call them on 04 342 2000 to check. (Don't forget to take your passport as proof of identity.)

You may also find that other major banks will cash a HSBC cheque too. Call some branches near to you to check.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys for your pointers (Meow I read your message too late, I ended up going to Bur Dubai, but thanks for the advice!)

I went to Bur Dubai branch and cashed the cheque successfully. Score!

Saff
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
Thanks guys for your pointers (Meow I read your message too late, I ended up going to Bur Dubai, but thanks for the advice!)I went to Bur Dubai branch and cashed the cheque successfully. Score! Saff
Did you manage to find a parking space within walking distance?
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mentalist
Did you manage to find a parking space within walking distance?
I took the metro
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
I took the metro
Gold Class?
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
Gold Class?
Nope!
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 6:00 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
The merger of HSBC and Lloyds local banking is currently taking place and you should be able to cash a HSBC cheque in the old Lloyds Bank branch on Al Wasl Road, by Safa Park. Even if hasn't been fully rebranded the merger will be finalised by 15th February and back office systems are being run by HSBC.

Much easier than schlepping all the way to Bur Dubai or even Jebel Ali. You can call them on 04 342 2000 to check. (Don't forget to take your passport as proof of identity.)

You may also find that other major banks will cash a HSBC cheque too. Call some branches near to you to check.
Just for future reference (though not for long I guess), they have created a special area for HSBC Premier banking in the old Lloyds Jumeirah branch. It is a separate section (accessed through the same entrance) off to the left when you come in located in an area around the side that was not previously open to the public. Prior to the systems merger on 15 Feb this section seems to be operating as a normal HSBC "branch-within-a-branch" and conducting any legacy HSBC business, not just Premier. They even have their own tellers and cash desk around the back - staffed by locals (male and female) who were both friendly and efficient when I dealt with them. Yes it can happen! I was able to handle a relatively complicated matter concerning an old Bur Dubai branch account with no problem at all.

Legacy Lloyds business is being conducted at the old teller desks. I guess after the 15 Feb that will become the standard HSBC counter, presumably for any account whether fomer Lloyds or former HSBC.

Anyway, depsite having had a pleasant experience in-branch, I am still running a mile from HSBC as a former Lloyds customer. One encounter with their call centre was enough to ensure that and validate all the terrible experiences I have had with HSBC in the past.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 6:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

From what I see and have heard, the merger is being handled well, in a very organised manner.

There will be a new Lloyds TSB offshore office opening soon in Sunset Mall too.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Meow
From what I see and have heard, the merger is being handled well, in a very organised manner.

There will be a new Lloyds TSB offshore office opening soon in Sunset Mall too.
I'm not sure that I would entirely agree from my experience - it's a bit chaotic (I'm bewildered, not to mention annoyed, with having to "generate" my own IBAN code, for example) though nowhere near as bad as I had feared. Things have been arriving randomly and without much explanation, warning nor context. Nobody has been in touch personally via any medium even though, apparently, I am a Premier customer and assured I will have a dedicated relationship manager. They haven't done enough to keep me though I did come with a deep-seated (and fully justified) set of prejudices against HSBC UAE....

And nobody at all has been in touch from Lloyds TSB offshore with whom I am thoroughly disgusted.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 6:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
I'm not sure that I would entirely agree from my experience - it's a bit chaotic (I'm bewildered, not to mention annoyed, with having to "generate" my own IBAN code, for example) though nowhere near as bad as I had feared. Things have been arriving randomly and without much explanation, warning nor context. Nobody has been in touch personally via any medium even though, apparently, I am a Premier customer and assured I will have a dedicated relationship manager. They haven't done enough to keep me though I did come with a deep-seated (and fully justified) set of prejudices against HSBC UAE....

And nobody at all has been in touch from Lloyds TSB offshore with whom I am thoroughly disgusted.
My boss is/was a Lloyds premier customer. The other day the most basic of all HSBC accounts got delivered. He just laughed and got Barclays to come in and get him signed up to their one...6 free rounds of golf a month made it a no brainer!

Lloyds offshore - my only experience is the old man, he's banked with them in Jersey (I think, not Guernsey) for years and loves them. Part of that is the bloke he talks to as his relationship / whatever manager has never changed.

Guess that makes a big difference.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 6:56 am

Lloyds offshore - my only experience is the old man, he's banked with them in Jersey (I think, not Guernsey) for years and loves them. Part of that is the bloke he talks to as his relationship / whatever manager has never changed.

I've got stuff with Llloyds offshore in Guernsey - they're fine as you say and were always handled separately from Dubai (it's Private Banking, ahem) even though I started my relationship with them from here. It's the offshore stuff that was managed from Dubai before that seems to have gone completely awry...
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

My boss is/was a Lloyds premier customer. The other day the most basic of all HSBC accounts got delivered. He just laughed and got Barclays to come in and get him signed up to their one...6 free rounds of golf a month made it a no brainer!

I have always found HSBC to be very generous....free membership @ Emirates Golf when I was in DXB and a free I-Phone 5 here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.