British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Where??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/where-591054/)

adam_81 Feb 12th 2009 3:21 pm

Where???

Ok so im in Dubai, currently living in Diera. Where do all the brittish people go for drinks?? I hardly see any brittish people where i am but i hear there is 250,000 of us here! so where are you all hiding?? im new here and im trying to make new friends...so i would appreciate ur help :)

Roadking Feb 12th 2009 3:28 pm

Re: Where???

Originally Posted by adam_81 (Post 7278356)
Ok so im in Dubai, currently living in Diera. Where do all the brittish people go for drinks?? I hardly see any brittish people where i am but i hear there is 250,000 of us here! so where are you all hiding?? im new here and im trying to make new friends...so i would appreciate ur help :)

We're all on here...

Cept I might not be british, or a guy, or in Dubai, but apart from that HELLO!

MataHari Feb 12th 2009 4:31 pm

there's British people all over the place really...what sort of place do you like, sports type bar, air crew type bar...
loads of them go to Barasti for sure...Double Deckers is another one...Rock Bottom...

Confucius Feb 12th 2009 4:51 pm

There's 400,000 of us here now...What a difference 90 minutes makes...

Ethos83 Feb 12th 2009 5:03 pm

Deira is generally not popular among western expats. I live in Umm Suqiem (part of the larger Jumeirah region for the uninitiated), and there are loads of Brits around here. My local Spinneys might as well be in the home counties.

adam_81 Feb 12th 2009 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7278579)
there's British people all over the place really...what sort of place do you like, sports type bar, air crew type bar...
loads of them go to Barasti for sure...Double Deckers is another one...Rock Bottom...

Thanks for the info guys, any kind of bar really, where i am there is not many expats so its kinda hard here. I have heard of Barasti on the tv lol, isnt it a beach bar? where abouts are all the above mentioned bars please??:)

Shadya Feb 13th 2009 2:10 am

Originally Posted by adam_81 (Post 7279147)
Thanks for the info guys, any kind of bar really, where i am there is not many expats so its kinda hard here. I have heard of Barasti on the tv lol, isnt it a beach bar? where abouts are all the above mentioned bars please??:)

Try the Irish Village over the weekend, only five minutes from Deira.

admon Feb 13th 2009 3:51 am

I'm surprised you managed to get to the UAE without someone showing you the way.

Gees a simple search and couple of days of trekking around would tell you most of what you need to know.

Is this the new generation of dubai expats...

By the way, if you need to buy food, I'm sure we can direct you to a supermarket, given some time...

Jim Smith Feb 13th 2009 5:22 am

Buy Whats'sOn or Time Out Dubai and have a good read!
If you really get desperate to make some new friends, then The York Club!

adam_81 Feb 13th 2009 6:33 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7280588)
I'm surprised you managed to get to the UAE without someone showing you the way.

Gees a simple search and couple of days of trekking around would tell you most of what you need to know.

Is this the new generation of dubai expats...

By the way, if you need to buy food, I'm sure we can direct you to a supermarket, given some time...

Wow sarcasm, thats very helpful indeed, im sure that someone of calibre (with your helpfulness and intellectual wit) already has many many friends.

Blue Cat Feb 13th 2009 6:38 am

Originally Posted by adam_81 (Post 7280904)
Wow sarcasm, thats very helpful indeed, im sure that someone of calibre (with your helpfulness and intellectual wit) already has many many friends.

ignore him ;)

adam_81 Feb 13th 2009 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7280914)
ignore him ;)

Consider it done :thumbup:

NorthernLad Feb 13th 2009 6:55 am

Barasti (Meridien Mina Sehayi) - just like a night out at home, complete with gobshites
Nelsons (Media City Rotana) - cheap (for Dubai) drinks, don't go if you don't like smoking.
Double Decker (Al Murooj Rotana) - not been in ages, last time we went it was fairly quiet.
Irish Village - possibly some of the rudest staff in Dubai, but not bad to sit outside for a pint.
Left Bank (Madinat) - as long as you can get past the annoying fat twat on the door it's not bad.
Rock Bottom - don't wear your Sunday best...maybe more convenient if you live in Diera.
Waxys - something everyone should try once (on a Friday).

adam_81 Feb 13th 2009 7:16 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 7280947)
Barasti (Meridien Mina Sehayi) - just like a night out at home, complete with gobshites
Nelsons (Media City Rotana) - cheap (for Dubai) drinks, don't go if you don't like smoking.
Double Decker (Al Murooj Rotana) - not been in ages, last time we went it was fairly quiet.
Irish Village - possibly some of the rudest staff in Dubai, but not bad to sit outside for a pint.
Left Bank (Madinat) - as long as you can get past the annoying fat twat on the door it's not bad.
Rock Bottom - don't wear your Sunday best...maybe more convenient if you live in Diera.
Waxys - something everyone should try once (on a Friday).

ok cheers NorthernLad, i will put on my best threads and try these places, thinking of going to the irish village today. You know i almost miss the gobshites!

Sky Blue Feb 13th 2009 7:58 am

Originally Posted by adam_81 (Post 7280994)
ok cheers NorthernLad, i will put on my best threads and try these places, thinking of going to the irish village today. You know i almost miss the gobshites!

Calibar is nice, near the Burj...
Bar 44 at the Grovenor House has nice views...
Rooftop bar at One&Only

These are all a bit more up market...

Barasti, arseholes permitting is probably the most laid back bar here...