Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What's it like in Riyadh?

What's it like in Riyadh?

Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

londonyvonne has a brilliant futurelondonyvonne has a brilliant futurelondonyvonne has a brilliant futurelondonyvonne has a brilliant futurelondonyvonne has a brilliant futurelondonyvonne has a brilliant futurelondonyvonne has a brilliant future
Default What's it like in Riyadh?

Hello to all the expats in Saudi. I'm a female TEFL teacher (British, 2 university degrees, a CELTA certificate and many years of experience) and have been offered a TEFL job in Riyadh, teaching girls in a school.

The salary is USD 30,000 (GBP 18.000 approx) plus accomodation, visa costs, return flight etc.....is that average? To be honest, I was expecting more.

The contract is from December til the end of term in June, so 6 rather than 12 months. It is renewable, but I prefer a get out option.

The accomodation is in a building, not a compound.....is that good or bad? The room looks OK from photos, but there are no sports facilities, swimming pools or shops, which I read you usually have in a compound.

What is life like there for a single wetern woman? Will it be difficult to get around to buy essentials like food and toiletries?

Is it dangerous? Do you feel at risk from terrorism?

How do you spend your free time? Is there anything to do there?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's it like in Riyadh?

To make a long story short...you are pretty much effed if you don't live in a Western compound.
There are loads of threads on Riyadh here on BE, look them up, and you'll find confirmation of what I am saying.
No idea about salary, sorry.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

londonyvonne has a brilliant futurelondonyvonne has a brilliant futurelondonyvonne has a brilliant futurelondonyvonne has a brilliant futurelondonyvonne has a brilliant futurelondonyvonne has a brilliant futurelondonyvonne has a brilliant future

Hi, Thanks for the info, haven't found anything on compounds on the site, why are they best?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonyvonne
Hi, Thanks for the info, haven't found anything on compounds on the site, why are they best?
Because otherwise you will live like in a prison. Nowhere to go, besides some shopping malls, nothing to do.
Just read other posts about Saudi, you will find all the info you need.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

You presumably know that you will have to repay the taxman in full once you return to the UK, so I hope the salary makes it worthwhile. In your position I would be looking at a teaching position in the UAE or Oman, where life is much nicer.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, if I return to the UK in June I'll have to pay UK taxes. To me, USD 30,000 a year doesn't seem a lot considering the downside of living in Riyadh...that's why I'm wondering if it's average. Any advice on how to find a job in Dubai or one of the nicer places from the UK?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonyvonne
Yes, if I return to the UK in June I'll have to pay UK taxes. To me, USD 30,000 a year doesn't seem a lot considering the downside of living in Riyadh...that's why I'm wondering if it's average. Any advice on how to find a job in Dubai or one of the nicer places from the UK?
You need to look at the relevent forum. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738124
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

And you might want to look at this http://britishexpats.com/wiki/The_Ul..._to_Saudi_Life
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice

Yvonne,

Not worth it. Do not be duped by the flashy lights. The money isn't enough and like the poster above said, you lose a lot of it due to the overlap on tax years meaning you're not out of the country for 6 months.

If you do go for it, you will not return after those 6 months.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well you've found the ME section...I moved this from the chatter side here for you.

As I mentioned earlier in the welcome thread, use the search feature, it's up top in the pinkish bar - http://britishexpats.com/forum/search.php Do an advanced search and select the ME forum to search through and plonk in "Riyadh, Compound, Saudi" and you'll probably find a lot....but that wiki link posted above is a good start.

Basically as mentioned, life not in a compound isn't all that great, especially for a bird.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the advice. My plan was to take this job for 6 months even though the pay seems not that great, then use the Saudi experience to find a Governess job with one of the Saudi royals......anybody know anyone doing that kind of private tutoring work, and how to get into it? Is it do-able???
Old Nov 15th 2011, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

I know lots of royals, at least the ones that matter. If you work for them as governess/nanny, you pretty much sign your private life away. The pay might be a little better but not that much. You will travel with the family on holidays, etc but you'll be stuck with that kid(s) 24/7. If you're an outgoing person and like to socalize and party, this job is definitely not for you.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

I would be aiming for GBP 750-1000 a week plus all expenses, I don't mind signing my life away for a year, it would be for the experience as well as for the salary (although I wouldn't do it without the salary), and any travel would be a bonus. I actually did this work for a month as a summer job many many years ago and wish I had continued with it for longer.

Could you help me find a placement? I'm happy to pay a generous commission throughout the length of the contract
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice

There is a big difference between 1 month and 6 months to a year. I'm pretty good at being isolated but even after 2 months it started to get to me. It all depends on the number of people you have around you during your free time. Do the six months for the experience, just remember to save some money to pay the taxman as they're set to jump on teachers/tutors.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Hi Khitan,

What work do you do in Riyadh? Do you live off a compound? I was thinking with internet access and skype it can't be too bad, but I don't know how that works there

With access to a pool you could use the time as a kind of mini retreat, exercise, detox, lots of water and fresh fruit

Write to me on the site if you feel bored

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.