Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What's the best approach to getting a car in Dubai?

What's the best approach to getting a car in Dubai?

Old Dec 15th 2004, 11:41 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's the best approach to getting a car in Dubai?

Do most people just do long-term rentals from Hertz or Avis or A.N.Other Car Rental Chain?

And if I want a very specific car that I know won't be available through a rental chain - say, in my case, a VW Golf R32 - could I rent or lease directly from a VW dealer and pay monthly, or would I have to pay a year in advance upfront, as with accommodation?
Old Dec 15th 2004, 11:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the best approach to getting a car in Dubai?

I guess it would depend on what you want, might be easier to just buy a car if it's long term...there's plenty of links in the faq

welcome to the site btw
Old Dec 16th 2004, 3:12 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same as any other country, I wouldn't move to the UK for a long time and think about long term renting- I'd buy one. It makes financial sense as well as being able to choose which car you want and do what you want with it. I'd check whether that Golf is available at the dealer first though- if I remember the Golf range was fairly limited there.

Just steer clear of 4x4 Motors as I know people who have traded their cars in with them and when they've seen the car in the showroom the speedo is lower etc. Plus they're pricey.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 6:43 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GarethR
Do most people just do long-term rentals from Hertz or Avis or A.N.Other Car Rental Chain?

And if I want a very specific car that I know won't be available through a rental chain - say, in my case, a VW Golf R32 - could I rent or lease directly from a VW dealer and pay monthly, or would I have to pay a year in advance upfront, as with accommodation?
Car rentals are usually done from car rental firms....... several of which are listed in the FAQ thread. No cars can be rented out directly fomr the dealer.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 9:44 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
It's the same as any other country, I wouldn't move to the UK for a long time and think about long term renting- I'd buy one
Okay, cool... so if you buy, can you pay in monthly instalments? From what I've read (at least in the accommodation sector), Dubai seems to be geared towards paying in bloody great lump sums!
Old Dec 16th 2004, 9:51 am
Troublemaker

kristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nice

Originally Posted by GarethR
Okay, cool... so if you buy, can you pay in monthly instalments? From what I've read (at least in the accommodation sector), Dubai seems to be geared towards paying in bloody great lump sums!
I'm no expert on this (Jammy_Dodgers and joseph.creative are into this at the mo so will be much more useful) but I think people tend to get loans from the bank.

Cars are cheap here so better to buy.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 10:32 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

yes, definitely better to buy, especially when its your company buying it for you

sorry, couldn't resist
Old Dec 16th 2004, 11:15 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kristy
I'm no expert on this (Jammy_Dodgers and joseph.creative are into this at the mo so will be much more useful) but I think people tend to get loans from the bank.

Cars are cheap here so better to buy.
Cars are cheaper....but it depends what you buy.

Piece of cake to get a car from a dealer. Once u have got your residency and UAE driving licence, then bank will be happy to chuck money at you. (however, you may need to put down 10-15%... and bring a letter from yr insurance copy with details of your no claims)

It's quite a pain though. You will need a UAE bank account, letter from your sponsor, stating how much you earn and to which dubai bank account it is being paid,
2 new cheque books, and lots of patience !!!

the whole thing can be done in a week inc registration.
(2 days to go!!!!! yippee!!)
Old Dec 16th 2004, 11:22 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Try calling around.....and this link...its the UAE yellow pages search result for car dealers:

http://nwapp.emirates.net.ae/channel...ected=1&lang=E

Cheers
TS

If u don't want to buy one theres enough used but good dumped around the airport where expats have departed without paying the HP.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 11:25 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Try calling around.....and this link...its the UAE yellow pages search result for car dealers:

http://nwapp.emirates.net.ae/channel...ected=1&lang=E

Cheers
TS

If u don't want to buy one theres enough used but good dumped around the airport where expats have departed without paying the HP.
Thats exactly what the garage told me when i got mine. Apparently there are some very very nice cars just dumped.
There is no reporting to the UK, so the owner does not receive an adverse credit rating.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 11:40 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Thats exactly what the garage told me when i got mine. Apparently there are some very very nice cars just dumped.
There is no reporting to the UK, so the owner does not receive an adverse credit rating.
Absolutely....a bargain....no more need for taxis any more after a long flight, just buy a brick in duty free and bobs ur uncle !!!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2004, 8:12 am
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Absolutely....a bargain....no more need for taxis any more after a long flight, just buy a brick in duty free and bobs ur uncle !!!!!!
u sod.... I was about to write and say that... mind you, anyone good at hot wiring?
Old Dec 18th 2004, 9:40 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
u sod.... I was about to write and say that... mind you, anyone good at hot wiring?
yeah sure...... though a water pistol wud work just as effectively with an unsuspecting driver. wot do u reckon?
Old Dec 18th 2004, 4:35 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Face81
yeah sure...... though a water pistol wud work just as effectively with an unsuspecting driver. wot do u reckon?
JC would probably try and steal his own car !!!!!
Old Dec 19th 2004, 2:57 pm
The Oracle

JC would probably try and steal his own car !!!!!
U mean like the way his 4X4 was taken over by a local in the desert near Big Red the other day? hehehe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.