Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What should I stock up on in the UK before coming to UAE?

Wikiposts

What should I stock up on in the UK before coming to UAE?

Old Nov 12th 2016, 9:39 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What should I stock up on in the UK before coming to UAE?

Originally Posted by dominoman
I have my shipping lorry coming soon and I have some spare space to take a few extras to Abi Dhabi.

Is there anything that is much cheaper in the UK than UAE that I should take? I’m thinking things like shampoos, cleaning products, socks?

I've not lived in the UAE before so any advice helps. Thanks

According to the various mothers' groups that proliferate here the items to bring are Oxo cubes, wet wipes and Tampax. The latter two are available here but they are a weird obsession.

I have also seen people say they bring loo rolls, cleaning products and more, Somewhat nuts.

If you have children you will find that shoes and clothing is usually cheaper in the UK. Other items are birthday/Christmas cards, many toys.

These days pretty much everything is here, if you know where to look.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I had colleagues in Saudi who habitually stole toilet rolls from the workplace rather than pay for them ! Ditto with teabags. Leading a life where the focus is on saving distorts your world-view !
Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
It's illegal to ship most of those items in a private container... The limits they quote at airports only apply to stuff you are bringing with you in a plane. When customs search your container, which they probably will, any pork or booze will be removed. And I dread to think what the cheese would be like after a month in a metal container sitting in the sun...

Good-quality mens clothing and shoes are mostly cheaper in the UK (especially if you can buy during a sale). Though tailoring is very cheap in the UAE, it is a a big struggle to get good fabrics. If you intend to get suits made for you, maybe bring the fabric and get it tailored here.
sorry gotta disagree, you can buy excellent fabric out here, you just need to know where to go and yes it is expensive
Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

bring chocolates....the chocolates out here are rank!
Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by scot47
I had colleagues in Saudi who habitually stole toilet rolls from the workplace rather than pay for them ! Ditto with teabags. Leading a life where the focus is on saving distorts your world-view !
I could never get my head around that either. A guy I used to work with regularly stole the toilet roll and the soap!
Old Nov 12th 2016, 11:41 pm
Banned

Thrillhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mission
bring chocolates....the chocolates out here are rank!
Not if you eat from the imported section
Old Nov 13th 2016, 1:05 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't already done so, open a private pension in the UK before you leave. You can pay in £2,880 this tax year and each of the next 5 tax years and get a free 20% tax rebate (£720) automatically each year from HMRC. It would be rude not to accept free money. The only downside is that your cash is tied up until age 55 when you can retire.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

How can you get a tax rebate if you are not paying UK income tax ?
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:26 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
How can you get a tax rebate if you are not paying UK income tax ?
Anyone who is paying into a personal pension when they leave can continue paying into it for five years after they have left and as contributions are made net of basic rate tax they get the tax relief that way. The limit is very low however at GBP 3,600 a year which you pay net of 20% tax.

Frankly it's not a large amount to invest, especially once you consider the charges and the restrictions on taking the benefits. I think this really only works if a person has other UK pension provision or can continue paying into an existing personal arrangement. If they have an existing personal/stakeholder pension there is no need to open a SIPP and pay additional charges.

It's always best to take advice from a professional in these matters.

Edit - not exactly something to pack into a container either...
Old Nov 13th 2016, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
Not if you eat from the imported section
err you can't get UK chocs like mars, bounty, maltesers, kitkat etc in the imported section, since these are made in the region and sold as regular chocs - and they taste rank coz of the coco used.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
err you can't get UK chocs like mars, bounty, maltesers, kitkat etc in the imported section, since these are made in the region and sold as regular chocs - and they taste rank coz of the coco used.
I've always felt they tasted pretty much identical.

Try eating the rubbish the US call chocolate.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I've always felt they tasted pretty much identical.

Try eating the rubbish the US call chocolate.
Na MILLY the chocs definitely taste different.
US chocs are gross, whether you get them in the US or outside....I have never liked any US chocs.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The only thing that tastes different out here is the milk. But now Waitrose have the normal stuff, well, it at least looks and tastes normal.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You buy milk that's been flown in?
Old Nov 13th 2016, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

M&S has imported milk from UK too. I always wonder why as local milk is pretty good.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You buy milk that's been flown in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.