Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What should I stock up on in the UK before coming to UAE?

What should I stock up on in the UK before coming to UAE?

Old Nov 10th 2016, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default What should I stock up on in the UK before coming to UAE?

I have my shipping lorry coming soon and I have some spare space to take a few extras to Abi Dhabi.

Is there anything that is much cheaper in the UK than UAE that I should take? I’m thinking things like shampoos, cleaning products, socks?

I've not lived in the UAE before so any advice helps. Thanks
Old Nov 10th 2016, 1:00 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What should I stock up on in the UK before coming to UAE?

Taylors of Yorkshire English Breakfast Tea � ����
Old Nov 10th 2016, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to fill a container with shampoos, cleaning products and socks ? All of these are cheaper in the Gulf. As for the tea, if you look around in the Gulf you will find a much better selection of different types of tea than in these offshore islands. My own preference is for Ceylon Tae packaged in Jeddah - Rabea. Can't find it anywhere in the UKofGB&NI.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 10:45 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Pork pies, cheese, marmite, wine and port.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Pork pies, cheese, marmite, wine and port.
Yeah. Thanks. But I don't want to get arrested the moment I arrive.

It's a serious question. I just dont know which things are way more expensive in Abu Dhabi. Not shampoo and cleaning stuff then it seems.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Bedding from "The White Company" anything that Harvey Nichols or M and S sells.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 2:57 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman
Yeah. Thanks. But I don't want to get arrested the moment I arrive.

It's a serious question. I just dont know which things are way more expensive in Abu Dhabi. Not shampoo and cleaning stuff then it seems.
I don't recall what the limits are on importing booze, but none of the above are illegal in UAE. Actually, I'm not sure about Marmite...
Old Nov 12th 2016, 5:13 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

If you like quality and/or luxury items such as silk socks, miele appliances or even air fryers etc. they can be obtained much cheaper in UK on sales and discounts which you will not find in UAE.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I don't recall what the limits are on importing booze, but none of the above are illegal in UAE. Actually, I'm not sure about Marmite...
It's illegal to ship most of those items in a private container... The limits they quote at airports only apply to stuff you are bringing with you in a plane. When customs search your container, which they probably will, any pork or booze will be removed. And I dread to think what the cheese would be like after a month in a metal container sitting in the sun...

Good-quality mens clothing and shoes are mostly cheaper in the UK (especially if you can buy during a sale). Though tailoring is very cheap in the UAE, it is a a big struggle to get good fabrics. If you intend to get suits made for you, maybe bring the fabric and get it tailored here.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm?

Tailoring is big business here. Tonnes of fabric shops. The big ones all sell top notch British and Italic fabrics for suits. Just go to any first rate tailor.

Originally Posted by archie159
It's illegal to ship most of those items in a private container... The limits they quote at airports only apply to stuff you are bringing with you in a plane. When customs search your container, which they probably will, any pork or booze will be removed. And I dread to think what the cheese would be like after a month in a metal container sitting in the sun...

Good-quality mens clothing and shoes are mostly cheaper in the UK (especially if you can buy during a sale). Though tailoring is very cheap in the UAE, it is a a big struggle to get good fabrics. If you intend to get suits made for you, maybe bring the fabric and get it tailored here.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Hmm?

Tailoring is big business here. Tonnes of fabric shops. The big ones all sell top notch British and Italic fabrics for suits. Just go to any first rate tailor.
Your definition of top-notch fabric is obviously different from mine (and many others). Indeed, that is why a few people (Brits and others) I know in AD have just opened their own tailoring business (which got a fair bit of coverage in The National), in which the "unique selling point" is that they have sourced the highest quality fabrics from England and N. Ireland which is otherwise hard to obtain.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

And as such they are now obtainable here, no?

Maybe there's a selection of extremely top notch Savile Row quality that isn't so easily found but then again the demand for them probably won't be normal for someone asking questions about filling up a container

Can't speak for AD but Dubai has a bunch of expensive custom tailoring shops in DIFC and other places. They have a pretty good reputation and thriving trade among affluent Emiratis and expats. Leonard Logsdail in Dubai does high end tailoring and I'd probably go to them first, even driving up from AD, before importing fabric on my own because if you're fussed about superbly high quality fabric then the other half of the story is superbly high quality tailoring - no point bringing in fabric until you're satisfied with the tailoring you find here first.

Originally Posted by archie159
Your definition of top-notch fabric is obviously different from mine (and many others). Indeed, that is why a few people (Brits and others) I know in AD have just opened their own tailoring business (which got a fair bit of coverage in The National), in which the "unique selling point" is that they have sourced the highest quality fabrics from England and N. Ireland which is otherwise hard to obtain.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Patience and humility.

And probably some humble pie from Costco
Old Nov 12th 2016, 3:18 pm
Banned

Thrillhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Protein Shake and lots of it! It's triple the cost.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Endless optimism that people will do what they say they'll do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.