what should i do?

Old Aug 26th 2011, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

shab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what should i do?

Need advice. I am a single woman who has a lovely job in London but need a change. I don't have any debts thank the lord nor any responsibilities. I want to move to the uae for a change and money is not an issue for me.

I have been offered a job in Abu Dhabi with a school owned by ADNOC it's only as a Teaching Assistant, pays 5000 aed per month plus a one bedroom apartment plus 35 days annual leave. The salary is very low but once i'm there i could offer to do other things or apply for other jobs within the school.

The other job i have been offered is as an ESL Teacher and Librarian in Dubai as a private owned school. It pays 8000 aed per month plus 2000 aed accommodation allowance and i get all the long regular school holidays.

Which would you say is better? as i said i really don't care about the money, it's more where i would feel happy. Like London if i need to go anywhere i can jump on the tube. Is it the same over there in abu dhabi or dubai? I'm not a party person and i don't drink.

could i work in dubai (near jebel ali freezone) and live in abu dhabi? i could commute everyday? as i do here in London for an hour each way. I need to make a decision asap and am very confused!

the other idea was that i could take the one in dubai as its in a freezone so if i dont like the job/company i can leave without getting a ban! having said that i could also leave the abu dhabi one and pay to have the ban removed. Gosh so confused.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 5:22 pm
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: what should i do?

Originally Posted by shab
Need advice. I am a single woman who has a lovely job in London but need a change. I don't have any debts thank the lord nor any responsibilities. I want to move to the uae for a change and money is not an issue for me.

I have been offered a job in Abu Dhabi with a school owned by ADNOC it's only as a Teaching Assistant, pays 5000 aed per month plus a one bedroom apartment plus 35 days annual leave. The salary is very low but once i'm there i could offer to do other things or apply for other jobs within the school.

The other job i have been offered is as an ESL Teacher and Librarian in Dubai as a private owned school. It pays 8000 aed per month plus 2000 aed accommodation allowance and i get all the long regular school holidays.

Which would you say is better? as i said i really don't care about the money, it's more where i would feel happy. Like London if i need to go anywhere i can jump on the tube. Is it the same over there in abu dhabi or dubai? I'm not a party person and i don't drink.

could i work in dubai (near jebel ali freezone) and live in abu dhabi? i could commute everyday? as i do here in London for an hour each way. I need to make a decision asap and am very confused!

the other idea was that i could take the one in dubai as its in a freezone so if i dont like the job/company i can leave without getting a ban! having said that i could also leave the abu dhabi one and pay to have the ban removed. Gosh so confused.
considering you already have a good job in the UK.. why not wait for an equally good opportunity elsewhere... no rush!?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 5:26 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

First and foremost, and I know this is going to sound really strange, but both those salaries are to put it bluntly, assuming you have a husband who's earning the salary. It's pin money for a married woman and wouldn't be enough for a Westerner to live on.

2000aed towards accommodation would get you a shared room. Our medium-sized 2-bed in the marina is about 9000aed a month, not including bills. Internet, phone and TV is about 250/500aed a month, running a car (and not doing a huge commute) is about 500-1000 a month, electricity and water (including the housing fee) are another 500aed a month. Your weekly shop will be about the same as your UK equivalent (some things are much cheaper, some are much more expensive)... and that's not even hinting at actually enjoying your time in Dubai.

The maths just won't stack up unless you have a husband who's bringing in at least 30k a month. Sorry about that.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

I'm single and no responsibilities. I know it's not a great salary at all but i have done research on how much most schools over in the UAE pay and to be honest it's between 6-13,000 aed i have a friend who is also there from London with a masters and about four years teaching experience and she is getting 13,000 aed per month.

I have checked on dubizzle for accomodation and there are apartments to rent for 25,000 per annum.

which do you think is the better option out of the two? and in terms of future and which is the better place to live?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:02 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm single and no responsibilities. I know it's not a great salary at all but i have done research on how much most schools over in the UAE pay and to be honest it's between 6-13,000 aed i have a friend who is also there from London with a masters and about four years teaching experience and she is getting 13,000 aed per month.

I have checked on dubizzle for accomodation and there are apartments to rent for 25,000 per annum.

which do you think is the better option out of the two? and in terms of future and which is the better place to live?
I know full well how much schools pay here and ultimately what their preferred staff profile is.

25k per annum? I'm guessing that's International City... the one with the raw sewage problem. So now you just need to factor in the 5% agent's fees, 5% deposit, 5% housing tax, then utilities, bills, transport from there to your place of work...

I know I'm sounding harsh, but both packages are much of a muchness - you're going to be hard up either way, which then begs the question (that you need to ask yourself) of whether it's actually worth uprooting yourself. When I say "hard up", I'm not saying that in a "oh, you'll only be able to afford one maid" way, but literally, you'll have to choose where you shop very carefully, you won't be able to go out for a brunch or a night out without having saved up for it (you can easily say goodbye to 500aed in one moderate sitting). I don't live a frivolous lifestyle by any stretch of the imagination, but there is no way in my mind that you could live in the manner to which you're currently accustomed on 5000 or 8000aed.

Also, check what medical cover they're offering. A trip to the GP will set you back 350aed just for the consultation, which obviously no one plans on needing to do, but hey, it happens.

In terms of which place is the better to live, Dubai is more lively, but only if you've got the money to spend.

Again, I'm sorry to be so harsh, but they're both absolutely, shockingly rubbish salaries for an expat.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
they're both absolutely, shockingly rubbish salaries for an expat.

Shockingly rubbish for a born and bred British expat. Many others would bite off the hand....
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:03 pm
ex-expat

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Shockingly rubbish for a born and bred British expat. Many others would bite off the hand....
yes, that is true, but as the OP has a lovely job in London, I doubt her life goal is to be able to afford to build a house and provide for her extended family in the Indian Subcontinent.

Seriously though, is it just me that thinks it's mad to even contemplate moving country for these salaries? I mean, even if you convert them directly, it's £800-1200 a month to live in a city that is just as expensive as London?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
yes, that is true, but as the OP has a lovely job in London, I doubt her life goal is to be able to afford to build a house and provide for her extended family in the Indian Subcontinent.
Don't be so naive Kitty, there are many, many third and fourth generation SC's who's objective is the same. They were still clapping for India when there was no hope in the 4th Test.....
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:25 pm
ex-expat

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Don't be so naive Kitty, there are many, many third and fourth generation SC's who's objective is the same. They were still clapping for India when there was no hope in the 4th Test.....
ach, I give up then.

OP, don't worry about the maths and take the 8000aed package. Good luck with your venture.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

thank you for your advice, i know you mean well when you were working out the costs.

are either of you ladies able to tell me where i would have a nice and peaceful life? i love travelling, long walks, dinners and that sort of thing. i don't drink and i don't go to bars or clubs.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:15 pm
ex-expat

thank you for your advice, i know you mean well when you were working out the costs.

are either of you ladies able to tell me where i would have a nice and peaceful life? i love travelling, long walks, dinners and that sort of thing. i don't drink and i don't go to bars or clubs.
what, in Dubai?

It's not really the place for long walks and certainly isn't a walkable city. I mean, you can do a lap of the Marina and/ or the beach or head into Deira and walk along the creek, but it's very car-centric and sometimes it's just impossible to walk from one area to another... most of the time, actually. That's not counting the heat too! I do a fair amount of walking by Dubai standards and I'm in the Marina, but I have to say, one bed places in that area are around the 40-80k mark.

There are also some lovely parks to wander around.

Public transport isn't bad though either, so you can get around pretty well with that.

Dubai (and the UAE) is a great springboard for visiting lots of places in the region, but none of it comes cheap. saying that, you can go camping in the desert or in Oman, but that's not something to do on your own really.

Dinners out are my favourite thing and there are all kinds to suit any budget. Some places are incredibly cheap (Karama, Satwa, Deira) and some are incredibly expensive... madly expensive. In general though, you'd be looking at about 50-100aed per person for a normal take-away, 200aed pp for a simple meal and then, goodness... 300-500aed for a brunch? I've been to a few places that charge 250-500aed for a main course, which when you convert back to pounds, will give you a slight nervous twitch!

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Aug 26th 2011 at 9:18 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shab,

I would say from your posts Duba or Abu Dhabi are not the place for you. I'm from London and I miss it awfully, I am here for the security of the job and I earn good money. London has so much at your doorstep here does not- unless you like malls and sand. It is expensive here and personally I wouldn't even consider the package you are being offered. I do think you will struggle here on that money ( I am also a single female and I live a modest lifestyle).

If you are after an adventure I think there are better options than here. If you really fancy a change have a good look around before jumping in. Good luck
Old Aug 26th 2011, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

to be honest living in london, although i have a nice life i also am restricted. I have to live at home till i marry, to live out of your house but in the same country is a total no no.I shant even tell u my age as you will be shocked at the fact that i still have to live at home. This is one of the main reasons for me going to live abroad is so that i can have the freedom to live by myself and do what i want to do when i want.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

to be honest living in london, although i have a nice life i also am restricted. I have to live at home till i marry, to live out of your house but in the same country is a total no no.I shant even tell u my age as you will be shocked at the fact that i still have to live at home. This is one of the main reasons for me going to live abroad is so that i can have the freedom to live by myself and do what i want to do when i want.
Getting a flat on your own would be easier and cheaper...
Old Aug 27th 2011, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Shab, i'm going to have to be blunter. You will be absolutley miserable on that salary. You think you have researched but really you haven't looked in the right places. Listen to the others, please please please.

I appreciate that you are attempting to escape from your parents but don't got jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Do you have a degree?

You also need to factor flights home and relocation costs, and i doubt very much that these two jobs offer that security either.

There may be other, much better paid (relatively) secretarial jobs. Why not try agencies for those.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.